Ritual Focus 11/02/2012 08:24 PM CDT
Okay I'm apparently slow.

How do you use these things?

You've reached the uninformative help match I haven't written yet.
Re: Ritual Focus 11/02/2012 08:52 PM CDT
I think you can study them for all the details.

When in doubt, http://elanthipedia.org/
Re: Ritual Focus 11/02/2012 09:07 PM CDT
You recognize that the statuette is a ritual focus. It's a tool that assists in harnessing the mana required to cast ritual spells, if it is invoked while the spell is being prepared.
In particular, this directly assists in harnessing mana. When activated, the statuette will accumulate energy from mana streams that pass through it, stored within a core of specially enchanted cambrinth. The enchantment is designed for fluid discharge rather than lifespan, so the magician must skillfully direct the spell energy within moments of reaching the desired charge.
The mana manipulation done through ritual foci are crude and often sharply limited by the design of the enchantment. Most ritual foci are limited to being useful only to a specific book of magic, though foci designed with incredible skill can be more broadly useful. No known ritual focus is fine enough to work at a level above the blunt strokes of empowering a ritual, much to the relief of their users' job security.

That has not helped me use it but it does give the above messaging. Normal magic related verbs like charge and invoke don't seem to be it either.

Maybe I just need to throw even more mana at it with charge? The messaging sounds like nothing is happening when I do, but the study makes it sound like this could be the correct action.

Re: Ritual Focus 11/02/2012 09:07 PM CDT
Prep spell, invoke focus, cast spell, basically.

Has to be a focus that works with the spell you're casting otherwise it won't do anything.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Ritual Focus 11/02/2012 09:09 PM CDT
Hmm, maybe it's a the wrong focus for Circle of Sympathy then (I figured the tree would work). I have tried most of the focuses in the shop without any luck. Thanks I'll dig around more.

Re: Ritual Focus 11/02/2012 09:44 PM CDT
>focus phi
You focus your magical senses on a deep purple glass phial.
While the glass phial is nothing special, the phofe attar inside it appears to be enchanted to serve as a ritual focus.
The focus is attuned to the Mental Preparation spellbook.
While the magical nature of the focus is clear enough, you will need to study it more carefully to recollect how they function.
Roundtime: 10 sec.

COS is Mental Preparation. When I invoke the phial while preparing the spell nothing happens. Guess it's a bug and not just that I have no idea what I am doing?

Re: Ritual Focus 11/02/2012 09:57 PM CDT
Last I heard, test was simply broken and useless. Maybe they updated stuff, but so many cross systems weren't in/accurate/fixed, so testing at this point may be a waste of your time. I'd suggest looking for anyone who plays a plat empath and asking them (Uh, I don't know any) or asking the GMs or players. You're entirely sure the spell you're trying to cast is actually a ritual spell? Foci will only work for ritual spells. How long is the prep time?

Re: Ritual Focus 11/02/2012 10:13 PM CDT
>You feel intense strain as you try to manipulate the mana streams to form this pattern, and you are not certain that you will have enough mental stamina to complete it.
>However, if you utilize a ritual focus: That won't affect your current attunement very much.
>With meditative movements you prepare your body for the Circle of Sympathy spell.

I know test has got a lot of wonky things in it right now. I have been poping in mainly to test out the new GS occasionally. It has about a 34 second prep time.

Re: Ritual Focus 11/02/2012 11:13 PM CDT
That's the similar messaging I get when trying to cast Persistance of Mana (cleric spell), so it's likely a ritual spell.

Only thing I can say is possibly you haven't tried the proper foci, haven't invoked it correctly, or test is broken.

Re: Ritual Focus 11/03/2012 01:21 AM CDT
I tried all the available foci, even the staves. I'm going with broken.

Re: Ritual Focus 11/03/2012 02:05 AM CDT
It works plat-side.

[Willow Walk, Garden Path]
A high stone wall to the west closes off this area from the traffic, noise, and smells of the city, providing a quiet oasis that protects and encourages many delicate flowers and herbs to flourish. Small cottages seem to blend into the lush growth, becoming an integral part of a living whole rather than an intrusion upon it. You also see a cozy oak-trimmed cottage.
Obvious paths: north, east, south.
>focus phial
You focus your magical senses on a deep purple glass phial.
While the glass phial is nothing special, the phofe attar inside it appears to be enchanted to serve as a ritual focus.
The focus is attuned to the Mental Preparation spellbook.
While the magical nature of the focus is clear enough, you will need to study it more carefully to recollect how they function.
Roundtime: 10 sec.
>study my phial
...wait 3 seconds.
>
study my phial

You recognize that the phial is a ritual focus, a magical tool that assists in casting spells that require enormous reserves of spell energy. You are unclear on the physics involved in that, but you know enough to try invoking the tool while preparing a ritual spell.
>From somewhere nearby you hear the hushed sounds of two murmuring voices. Then with a soft laugh from one, they draw off into the darkness.
>prep cos
Since you're not feeding enough power into the spell pattern to make it coherent, you quickly work your way to the minimum required.
You feel intense strain as you try to manipulate the mana streams to form this pattern, and you are not certain that you will have enough mental stamina to complete it.
However, if you utilize a ritual focus: That will disrupt less than half your current attunement.
With calm movements you prepare your body for the Circle of Sympathy spell.
>
Katamba sets, slowly dropping below the horizon.
>invoke phial
Kneeling down, you draw the spell pattern's shadow with some of your supply of phofe attar.
Roundtime: 20 sec.
>
Your phofe attar design erupts, transforming into a pattern of glowing green lines!
The mana-reactive phofe attar burns with carefully arranged power. Your ritual directs the energy up into your spell pattern, removing much of the strain of empowering it off you.
>
Your glowing green ritual burns away, leaving no sign of its former presence.
>cast
You feel fully prepared to cast your spell.
>
The mental strain of this pattern is considerably eased by your ritual focus.
You gesture.
A diminutive lunat tree of phantasmal blue rises up from the ground, its golden leaves stretching out into the air.
>
You feel fully rested.
>

An arisen dummy zombie bellows, "You will all be ssslaughtered!"
>
Re: Ritual Focus 11/03/2012 03:09 AM CDT
Yep, must be test then. Nothing happens when I invoke the phial.