Guardian Spirit Question 10/26/2012 11:34 AM CDT
Does amount of mana used have any impact on Guardian Spirit? It didn't appear to make a difference that was visible in the creature's appraisal, and it's cyclic so there's not really a duration that it could extend.

Thanks,
-Life Sustainer Karthor
Re: Guardian Spirit Question 10/26/2012 01:08 PM CDT
>Does amount of mana used have any impact on Guardian Spirit? It didn't appear to make a difference that was visible in the creature's appraisal, and it's cyclic so there's not really a duration that it could extend.

I need to play around with it a bit more yet. I noticed a difference in the descriptor when I changed the amount of mana. However, what I noticed may just be a random assignment and I just haven't cast it enough times at set levels to confirm or refute. Otherwise, I haven't noted any significant impact based on mana.
Re: Guardian Spirit Question 10/26/2012 01:31 PM CDT
Some spells gain potency based on mana, others base secondary effects on the cyclic mana cost. I would assume increasing the mana in GS increases its combat power by a sliding scale somehow. Not sure how you would test that though. Find something your GS can fight well at X mana and then slide up and down on mana amount and see what happens?

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Guardian Spirit Question 10/26/2012 03:59 PM CDT
The GS's abilities mirrors the Empath as opposed to the amount of mana put into the spell.
Re: Guardian Spirit Question 10/26/2012 04:33 PM CDT
If it follows the Necromancer structure for combat pets, TM determines base Combat effectiveness and Mana modifies this up or down.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Guardian Spirit Question 10/26/2012 04:47 PM CDT
>If it follows the Necromancer structure for combat pets, TM determines base Combat effectiveness and Mana modifies this up or down.

This was my understanding and expectation, ergo the suggestion of checking with various mana levels, but again, I know jack about necropaths.

Re: Guardian Spirit Question 10/27/2012 04:09 AM CDT
>>Does the global preview make it impossible to test metaspells since we can't actually learn the metaspell? I tried casting Flush Poisons without being poisoned, and it just said I'm not poisoned rather than sticking on me with some duration. I can't tell if it's because Adaptive Curing just doesn't work, or it's not taking effect because I don't technically know Adaptive Curing.

It should be working, I have it flagged to allow the pre-cast if the spell is on preview. However, ADC is slated to be a scroll-only spell; meaning Empaths can learn it permanently if they want to, but they have to find an ADC scroll to do so. That aspect of it may not be playing nicely with the preview aspect.

>>Does amount of mana used have any impact on Guardian Spirit? It didn't appear to make a difference that was visible in the creature's appraisal, and it's cyclic so there's not really a duration that it could extend.

The amount of mana can affect the strength of the GS, but the range of bonus is narrower than for Necromancer's pets. I am not sure test had the most recent version of the spell so I pushed the latest one just now, if you want to see if it looks any better.

Melete
Seyalle: It does involve the beard interger.
Melete: THE BEARD INTEGER??? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1Y73sPHKxw
<to be continued...>
Re: Guardian Spirit Question 10/27/2012 06:31 AM CDT
<<However, ADC is slated to be a scroll-only spell; meaning Empaths can learn it permanently if they want to, but they have to find an ADC scroll to do so.>>

Hrm, I'm not sure how I feel about that...no big deal if it ends up being sold in a shop somewhere, but otherwise I'm not sure it makes much sense. The idea of having to spend months arranging the deaths of creatures that are well beneath me and award no experience to try and obtain a spell that has little or nothing to do with combat sort of makes me twitch. And think of the poor non-combatant Empaths. Thanks for the info though.

<<he amount of mana can affect the strength of the GS, but the range of bonus is narrower than for Necromancer's pets. I am not sure test had the most recent version of the spell so I pushed the latest one just now, if you want to see if it looks any better.>>

Alrighty, I'll give it another look when I get a chance. The version that was there when I tried it didn't change its appraisal at all between a minimum mana (5/20) cast and the most I could muster (17/20). Casting Vigor on a minimum mana one did reflect an upgraded appraisal though, so that's neat. I wish we could appraise them as often as we wanted though, even if doing so awarded no experience.

Thanks,
-Life Sustainer Karthor
Re: Guardian Spirit Question 10/27/2012 09:20 AM CDT
As a note about metaspells: I'm only familiar with the cleric ones, but they either function automatically or just require a different cast option. AE has a metaspell that lets the fire bolts hit a new target after the current one dies, and it does that automatically. Blessing/pfe/mpp/mapp have a metaspell that lets me group cast them, and all I have to do is 'cast group' instead of 'cast'.