Fire Rain, Heighten pain, other spells 09/15/2012 05:23 AM CDT
With WM: Fire Rain - is this now castable without any ethereal shield? I tested this in brocket deer with my wm, no fire tried to land on me, even though I deliberately did not cast Ethereal shield.

with necro: slight bug with heighten pain. When it is cast on critter, get 2 RT messages thus:

<cast critter>

RT 2 sec
RT 2 sec

With WM both myself <level 57 WM> and another WM <unknown level> were unable to cast either Aegeis of Granite or Mantle of Flame. Also, our Augmentation skill kept fluctuating down to zero. Both of us were "copyovers" from Plat if that makes a difference.

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: Fire Rain, Heighten pain, other spells 09/15/2012 10:10 AM CDT
Shame on me, some of the new spells require the use of a ritual focus. These can be found outside the NE gate. That is probably why some were so difficult to cast.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Fire Rain, Heighten pain, other spells 09/16/2012 01:54 PM CDT
Could there be some messaging that might inform us that's a necessity? I tried pretty much all the spells and never had an indication this might be an issue.

Khorgar ~ Clueless?
Re: Fire Rain, Heighten pain, other spells 09/16/2012 07:22 PM CDT
exactly how is this done?

>study my pouch
You recognize that the pouch is a ritual focus. It's a tool that assists in harnessing the mana required to cast ritual spells, if it is invoked while the spell is being prepared.
In particular, this is a supply of mana-reactive crushed scheelite. Mana-reactive materials are enchanted in such a way that they react to mana shortly after being exposed to the open, quickly accumulating a charge of spell energy before burning out. Drawing on a technique the Moon Mages invented, it is possible to draw a ritual pattern that reflects the two-dimensional "shadow" of the nascent spell. If this is done quickly and accurately, the burst of energy has been shaped to channel itself safely into the spell pattern.
The mana manipulation done through ritual foci are crude and often sharply limited by the design of the enchantment. Most ritual foci are limited to being useful only to a specific book of magic, though foci designed with incredible skill can be more broadly useful. No known ritual focus is fine enough to work at a level above the blunt strokes of empowering a ritual, much to the relief of their users' job security.

apparently the time frame is not long enough :
>invoke my pouch
Kneeling down, you draw the spell pattern's shadow with some of your supply of crushed scheelite.
Roundtime: 20 sec.
>
Your crushed scheelite design erupts, transforming into a pattern of vivid and fiery lines!
The mana-reactive crushed scheelite burns with carefully arranged power. Your ritual directs the energy up into your spell pattern, removing much of the strain of empowering it off you.
>
Your vivid and fiery ritual burns away, leaving no sign of its former presence.
>
You feel fully prepared to cast your spell.
>cast
You raise your fist toward the sun.
The mental strain of this pattern is considerably eased by your ritual focus.
Currently lacking the skill to complete the pattern, your spell fails completely.

in 3.0, don't we have to wait for spells to be fully prepped? because if you do so, you don't get the spell to work.....
>

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: Fire Rain, Heighten pain, other spells 09/17/2012 03:48 AM CDT
>>Could there be some messaging that might inform us that's a necessity? I tried pretty much all the spells and never had an indication this might be an issue.

The indication is that ritual spells have extremely high prep amounts, which the ritual foci help with.

>>Currently lacking the skill to complete the pattern, your spell fails completely.

This means even the minimum prep was too difficult for you. If you post your skills (PM and Augmentation in this case), we can see if there's any tweaking needed.

GM Grejuva