Rend 07/07/2012 04:16 PM CDT

For testing purposes, what exactly is Rend doing?
Re: Rend 07/07/2012 10:54 PM CDT
P.S. Did you guys ever re-think how you were going to handle dispels against enemies to do something other than just stripping off the top level ward? (to prevent people from just snap casting a 1 mana analogous ward spell over and over to protect their other more important wards)

__
You hear the voice of Jaedren exclaim, "Look! I'm Leilond!"
You notice Jaedren come out of hiding.
Jaedren shimmers out of sight.
Re: Rend 07/08/2012 09:38 AM CDT
I don't know about other spells, but that's not possible with shear, Leilond. Trying to cast anything "small" with a big shear up is painful, so there would be no replacing.
Re: Rend 07/08/2012 10:57 AM CDT
Yeah, I think it was Grejuva who was there and I forget the other person I was actually casting on.

But literally, in the time it would take for me to prepare and cast a fully capped Dispel the other person would just cast a min prepped Lay Ward and my capped Dispel would only take off that layer of min-prepped Lay Ward, rather than targeting the other troublesome spell that person had on that I really wanted to get rid of.

__
Re: Rend 07/08/2012 12:37 PM CDT
Wasn't there a suggestion that dispel like spells would keep eating at wards until it's integrity was too low? That way once Dispel eats through the min prepped Lay Ward's integrity, it can attack the troublesome's spell's integrity.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Rend 07/08/2012 12:44 PM CDT
>>Wasn't there a suggestion that dispel like spells would keep eating at wards until it's integrity was too low?

Yeah, but then they'd have to come up with new ideas for what advanced dispelling spells such as Rend and Break Ward would do, since right now their only real leg up on the Dispel analogous spell is the fact they dispel 2 layers of spells rather than just 1.

__
Re: Rend 07/08/2012 01:03 PM CDT
I don't mind the set-up Leilond is referring to just because I think it's fair strategy (if your heavy barriers allow it, shear doesn't). If I'm prepping and casting snap cast lay wards, I'm not prepping something more dangerous, so there's a drawback. Also, if you know the person you're fighting is using snap lay wards, you don't need full dispels, you can basically snap dispels back. It just adds another choice to the mix. I cast my first big dispel at Leilond, assuming there's some lay ward up, but whether I follow that with a second big dispel or a snap dispel depends on whether I think he's going to play the snap lay ward game. I don't think it's a major deal either way. Honestly though, I have such a small grasp of what these dispels are supposed to be doing, it's hard to gauge right now.
Re: Rend 07/08/2012 01:04 PM CDT
Sorry for the double post. Leilond, is that what Rend is supposed to do? The same as dispel but two spells instead of one?
Re: Rend 07/08/2012 01:05 PM CDT
>Yeah, but then they'd have to come up with new ideas for what advanced dispelling spells

Perhaps they could attack multiple layers, regardless of bringing down other layers. I'm not familiar with out the layers work, but maybe Dispel should just target a random, or the strongest, layer, instead of the outer most layer.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Rend 07/08/2012 02:05 PM CDT
Honestly, being able to easily thwart dispel attempts using a sacrificial barrier is perfectly fine. You can still use Dispel to remove negative effects from yourself, which quite frankly should be its primary function. I personally don't think it should even be possible for anyone to remove someone else's beneficial effects from them, but that ship has apparently sailed already.

Thanks,
-Life Sustainer Karthor