Spellcasting Devices 06/27/2012 09:09 AM CDT
A selection of new-generation spellcasting devices is now available for testing outside the Crossing NE gate. Most of these can be used by NMUs.

As with the ritual foci and runestones, be sure to STUDY and FOCUS them for information.

GM Grejuva
Re: Spellcasting Devices 06/28/2012 05:51 AM CDT
a few questions and some feedback:

Is it the intent that these teach only devices <arcana> or are they meant to teach any of the Magical skills as well? <particularly the ones that are TM spells>.

For the necromantic spells, I like the fact that if a cleric or paladin uses them, they get massive devotion/soul hits. And obviously a Barbarian would get an inner fire hit. I did not see any type of divine outrage type of messaging with any other guilds I tried them with though <both MU and NMU>.

I would like to suggest some type of divine outrage type <in addition to the social outrage already evident> of system that non-necromancers who use necromanctic spells, particularly transcendental ones, would be able to interact with. And, obviously, some way to "repent" similar to a paladin that steals - for such usage.

As much fun as it would be to sit around in the Thieves guild and look at each others eyes bulge out from rubbing K-S skulls ... it would be wrong. :-)

Trying these out by a character a bit more skilled in evasion by myself , I was able to utilize all of the devices except the sphere <dergati's> and the prism <smite horde> - <my MU was able to tell me what spell it was.

One suggestion - in order that, if it is the intent that these be put into the enchanting system and made by players into items that would not necessarily be obvious to the final user - That it give the user the name of the spell and what type of magic it utilizes - in order that someone sneaky not start handing out necro magic to the young and impressionable nmus who cannot "focus" on it.

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: Spellcasting Devices 06/28/2012 12:18 PM CDT
>>That it give the user the name of the spell and what type of magic it utilizes

Well they do give what spell with LOOK

>look prism
It is labeled "Smite Horde".

Abison/Rystien
Re: Spellcasting Devices 06/28/2012 12:27 PM CDT
those might just be labeled that way for us to use in testing - when this stuff goes live if people can imbue some object to have a spell in it with the enchanting lore, I'm not sure if they will be labeled as such.

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: Spellcasting Devices 06/28/2012 12:40 PM CDT
>>That it give the user the name of the spell and what type of magic it utilizes - in order that someone sneaky not start handing out necro magic to the young and impressionable nmus who cannot "focus" on it.

I'd rather have understanding the device rely on skill. Someone giving NMUs Necromantic devices in order to scare/confuse the populace sounds like an awesome RP.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Spellcasting Devices 06/29/2012 01:32 AM CDT
Is it intentional that Necromancers can use holy self-activating devices without any kind of issue, side effect, complication, etc?

I mean, to me it makes 100% perfect sense that they could. I just want to make sure it's intended.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2