More Spells 06/25/2012 02:26 PM CDT
The following spells are now available for testing:

- Rend, Telekinetic Throw, Partial Displacement, Moonblade, Shape Moonblade, Dinazen Olkar, Calm (Moon Mage)
- Air Lash, Rising Mists, Fortress of Ice, Substratum, Stone Strike, Shockwave, Flame Shockwave (Warrior Mage)
- Aggressive Stance, Aesandry Darlaeth, Nissa's Binding (Empath)

GM Grejuva
Re: More Spells 06/25/2012 10:18 PM CDT
Some feedback on spells and stuff before I enter bugs.

Magic exp is okay for me in Warding when I cast shear at 30 mana every 5 seconds. This is the most difficult spell I've found in that I need a full 20 second prep to cast it at 100 mana. 30 mana at 5 seconds teaches considerably better, but is difficult to maintain without running out of mana even with 1200+ Attunement. Still, the 30 mana shear at 5 seconds is the sweetest spot for learning anything that I've found at my ranks, and it feels like the learning rate that I'd like to see as baseline. It was 7 minutes to lock, assuming I could maintain attunement, and assuming I did absolutely nothing else during that time.

I can't get Debilitation off of clear in elder armadillos with dazzle and MB.

Augmentation moves if I cast CV or shadows at 50 mana within 3-4 seconds of prepping, but this isn't sustainable either. If I go up in time, I don't learn. If I go up in mana, I run out of mana.

I haven't tested utility again yet, I'm not sure what spells are live that work that. Moonblade?

TM was learnable with the new multi-shot PD. Lunar magic was only learnable via the shear casting above. I don't think it got off dabbling even when spamming PD.

My sense is that easier spells need to teach a lot better at the upper ranks without making us blow all our mana by casting 100 preps in 5 seconds. Because we need to learn magic in each category now, we can't rely on one difficult spell like SOD, Shear, or Psy to carry us learning-wise.

Overall, I love the new spells. Multi-shot PD is absolutely brutal, but mana makes no difference in the output (which I bugged). DO and TKT both seem considerably stronger damage-wise than before, but tkt as a single cast spell seems pretty pointless. Is it piercing damage? I'm just trying to think up a niche for it that justifies the difficulty in having items to use as ammo. I tried TKT using slivers, ambergris, coins, and a capped short bow. It was underwhelming vs elder armadillos compared to DO, and dillos are slice resistant (should have made DO the underperformer?).

And Rend? Absolutely awesome. Can't wait to try that out on a certain bard and such. It would be easier to test if we had a description of what it is supposed to do against what though. I might've missed that previously.
Re: More Spells 06/25/2012 10:47 PM CDT
>>DO and TKT both seem considerably stronger damage-wise than before, but tkt as a single cast spell seems pretty pointless. Is it piercing damage? I'm just trying to think up a niche for it that justifies the difficulty in having items to use as ammo

TKT's damage type, as before, depends on what's being thrown. Most junk will default to impact, shards IIRC should be doing piercing, weapons depend on weapon stats.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: More Spells 06/26/2012 03:02 AM CDT
can you let us know when there will be a GM over there that can do character copy-overs from plat? I'd like to try out some of the WM stuff and I can't really tell too much with my prime very small WM.

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius