Augmentation 06/25/2012 08:40 AM CDT
A few smallish things. I ran a modified version of my buff script (removed HoW because it's not there yet, added courage and AS.) I did this in a room I could see radiant mana in. All spells were prepped at 10 mana (or the minimum if it was higher), and I charged two armbands at 10 mana two times each. So minimally 50 mana per spell. I will have to log in to prime to get an exact comparison but running this same script with higher preps (but one less spell) generally never brings me below 80% mana usage (whole reason I use cambrinth.) In test it brought me down to 50%.

This is where exp was after running it (everything was clear when I started)

Primary Magic: 622 57% dabbling (1/34)
Arcana: 503 25% pondering (7/34)
Attunement: 641 24% dabbling (1/34)
Utility: 466 87% dabbling (1/34)
Warding: 435 78% dabbling (1/34)
Augmentation: 560 40% dabbling (1/34)

Durations were about what I expected, with the exception of AS:
> conc

You reach out with your senses and see radiant streams of golden Holy mana radiating through the area.
Letting your senses extend further, you feel there is dusky mana to the southeast, and flickering mana to the north.
You sense the Righteous Wrath spell upon you, which will last for about twenty-five roisaen.
You sense the Courage spell upon you, which will last for about twenty-six roisaen.
>You sense the Anti Stun spell upon you, which will last less than a roisan.
You sense the Sentinel's Resolve spell upon you, which will last for about twenty-five roisaen.
You sense the Manifest Force spell surrounding you, which will last for twenty-five roisaen or until it has endured six more blows.
You have not exhausted your ability to smite your foes at all.
Roundtime: 3 sec.

I think the duration on that one is just not being portrayed accurately. I tried to recast to see what was up and got the following message:
You gesture.
The spell fails to meld with the one already around you.

Still getting that message almost 15 minutes later so clearly the duration is longer than it appears.

Random side note, I was under the impression all spells would be replaceable in 3.0. Not sure if I'm remembering that correctly or not but AS doesn't appear to be (it was changed with SR.)

~Katt

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: Augmentation 06/25/2012 09:52 AM CDT
Try going higher. Magic EXP is currently strongly based on how hard the spell was for you to get off, so harder spells and more mana should pay off more than chain casting smaller spells.

Which isn't to say that this doesn't need tweaking, but let's see where we get when we push the model in the direction it wants to go.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Augmentation 06/25/2012 09:54 AM CDT

I'll try that. The only issue I foresee is running out of mana in a hurry but I'll see what I can get with what I have.

~Katt

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: Augmentation 06/25/2012 10:05 AM CDT
My results on the topic of Augmentation learning: http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Testing%20Central/Magic%20Testing/view/113

__
You hear the voice of Jaedren exclaim, "Look! I'm Leilond!"
You notice Jaedren come out of hiding.
Jaedren shimmers out of sight.
Re: Augmentation 06/25/2012 10:06 AM CDT

Same script, shining room. I increased the prep to 15 and charged each armband at 15 twice, so 75 for each spell this time.

Primary Magic: 622 57% perusing (2/34) +0.00
Arcana: 503 37% understanding (14/34) +0.02
tunement: 641 28% dabbling (1/34) +0.01
Utility: 466 87% perusing (2/34) +0.00
gmentation: 560 41% thoughtful (4/34) +0.00
Warding: 435 78% perusing (2/34) +0.00

There was absolutely more exp gain this way. I was down to 18% mana at the end of it though. Couldn't really push it much higher than that. I could raise mana in the room but to my knowledge that won't be an option in 3.0.

~Katt

Re: Augmentation 06/25/2012 10:12 AM CDT
Would it be possible for magic to work similar to first aid, where you get exp over time?

That way, it makes sense for someone to cast very high powered spells: the long durations result in long exp gain. On top of that, the fact that someone would theoretically tank their magic doing so would stop being an issue, because they don't need to actually keep casting to keep it training.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2