Smite Horde 06/23/2012 06:23 PM CDT

Still kind of getting a feel for even having an AoE TM spell. That said, this looks like an awful lot of hits for 2 hogs and one cast.

A hog just arrived!
A hog just arrived!

> prep smh
Since you're not feeding enough power into the spell pattern to make it coherent, you quickly work your way to the minimum required.
That won't affect your current attunement very much.
You begin chanting a mantra to invoke the Smite Horde spell.
> tar
You begin to weave mana lines into a targeting pattern centered around yourself that is designed to strike the avenues of attack around you.

The musk hog closes to melee range on you!
>
The musk hog closes to melee range on you!

Your target pattern has finished forming around the area.
> cast

>
You gesture.
You contribute your harnessed streams to increase the pattern's potential.
As you bow your head and chant, a brilliant disc of light coalesces before you. Spinning slowly at first, it gains momentum until blue-white sparks shoot off in a blinding display. You spread your arms wide in a final decisive gesture, and the coruscating light explodes, sending a barrage of razor-edged rays flying out in all directions!

A razor-edged ray lands a good hit against a musk hog's chest!
A razor-edged ray lands a good strike against a musk hog's chest!
A razor-edged ray lands a good strike against a musk hog's abdomen!
A razor-edged ray lands a good strike against a musk hog's left hindleg!
A razor-edged ray lands a solid hit against a musk hog's back!
The musk hog is lightly stunned!

A razor-edged ray lands a good hit against a musk hog's left hindleg!
A razor-edged ray lands a good hit against a musk hog's right hindleg!

Roundtime: 1 sec.

Also, a 45 mana cast, fully targeted yield nothing higher than a solid hit. Not sure if that's what we can expect from this spell? Can kill a hog with snapped, min prepped STRA and FST for comparison.

~Katt

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: Smite Horde 06/23/2012 08:03 PM CDT
>Also, a 45 mana cast, fully targeted yield nothing higher than a solid hit. Not sure if that's what we can expect from this spell? Can kill a hog with snapped, min prepped STRA and FST for comparison.

Seems oddly low, like you said. But maybe they're going for the throwing blades approach? Tons of light hits.

I'm not up anywhere near enough on my DR3 info to know if AoE TM is supposed to be all created equal, or if some are more equal than others. If the latter, Pally AoE TM may only be as good as you're getting, just because they're not the most magically astute guild.

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: Smite Horde 06/23/2012 08:21 PM CDT

>I'm not up anywhere near enough on my DR3 info to know if AoE TM is supposed to be all created equal, or if some are more equal than others. If the latter, Pally AoE TM may only be as good as you're getting, just because they're not the most magically astute guild.

That may very well be. Kind of what I'm trying to figure out. According to our tentative spell list Smite Horde is supposed to be esoteric AoE TM. So even for a paladin I wouldn't necessarily expect it to suck? I mean, that's almost 500 ranks of TM against hogs. If it is what it's supposed to be I can deal, after I cry a little in my coffee.

~Katt

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: Smite Horde 06/23/2012 08:29 PM CDT
>>Also, a 45 mana cast, fully targeted yield nothing higher than a solid hit.

I might be off on my AoE mechanicals, but you can target an AoE?

That said, I'm wondering if the number of light things is always X based on similar situations, so if you create X rays at that spell prep, each critter is hit x/crittercount times.

Also wondering if you'd see notably higher damage if you tried against something cursed/undead.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Smite Horde 06/23/2012 08:37 PM CDT
The multishot mechanics are currently putting out unimpressive numbers regardless of spell. Something we're looking into.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Smite Horde 06/23/2012 08:46 PM CDT

>I might be off on my AoE mechanicals, but you can target an AoE?

Actually, in this case, I had to. Without using the target verb I get:

You gesture.
Currently lacking the skill to complete the pattern, your spell fails completely.

Target gives the following messaging for SmH:
> tar
You begin to weave mana lines into a targeting pattern centered around yourself that is designed to strike the avenues of attack around you.

And this for FST and STRA:
> tar
You begin to weave mana lines into a target pattern around a musk hog.

So there is a difference in targeting individually vs. area. The messaging I got for NOT targeting the area spell seems to indicate it's possible to cast it without targeting, I'm just not capable of it.

>Also wondering if you'd see notably higher damage if you tried against something cursed/undead.

A single moss mey, 45 mana fully targeted:

You gesture.
As you bow your head and chant, a brilliant disc of light coalesces before you. Spinning slowly at first, it gains momentum until blue-white sparks shoot off in a blinding display. You spread your arms wide in a final decisive gesture, and the coruscating light explodes, sending a barrage of razor-edged rays flying out in all directions!

A razor-edged ray lands a light hit against a moss mey's left arm!
A razor-edged ray lands a good hit against a moss mey's head!
A razor-edged ray lands a light hit against a moss mey's abdomen!
A razor-edged ray lands a good hit against a moss mey's abdomen!
A razor-edged ray lands a good hit against a moss mey's chest!

~Katt

Re: Smite Horde 06/23/2012 08:47 PM CDT
Oops, Thanks Armifer!

~Katt

Re: Smite Horde 06/25/2012 12:45 PM CDT

Mwahahahaha:

You gesture.
Your cambrinth armband emits a loud snap as it discharges all its power to aid your spell.

A razor-edged ray lands an extremely heavy hit against an asaren celpeze's back!
The asaren celpeze's flared crest wobbles, then collapses as the celpeze falls over and lies still.

A razor-edged ray lands a solid hit against an asaren celpeze's right leg!
A razor-edged ray lands a solid hit against an asaren celpeze's abdomen!
A razor-edged ray lands a hard hit against an asaren celpeze's left leg!
A razor-edged ray lands a hard hit against an asaren celpeze's right leg!
A razor-edged ray lands a hard hit against an asaren celpeze's back!

A razor-edged ray lands a strong hit against an asaren celpeze's back!
The asaren celpeze is barely stunned!
A razor-edged ray lands a hard hit against an asaren celpeze's abdomen!
A razor-edged ray lands a hard hit against an asaren celpeze's left eye!

A razor-edged ray lands a strong hit against an asaren celpeze's abdomen!
The asaren celpeze is barely stunned!
A razor-edged ray lands a hard hit against an asaren celpeze's head!
A razor-edged ray lands an extremely heavy hit against an asaren celpeze's chest!
A razor-edged ray lands an extremely heavy hit against an asaren celpeze's head!
The asaren celpeze's flared crest wobbles, then collapses as the celpeze falls over and lies still.

Found my solution to TM training at least. I was in a crappy mana room but even then I got TM to 15/34 before I ran out. Trying to entice critters to come to me in a decent room is failing though.

~Katt

Re: Smite Horde 06/25/2012 01:18 PM CDT
Wow, that's cool. I am a little envious right now.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur