Attunement: 550
Arcana: 536
Targeted Magic: 252
Augmentation: 469
Debilitation: 416
Utility: 390
Warding: 364
Sorcery: 0

TM works great. Went to Gryphons, let a min prep USOL (with IVM cast) do it's thing, locked in a few minutes.
For Debilitation, I used HP/POV/PV on 6+ gryphons. It didn't go past 2/34.
For Attunement, I've been having USOL run nonstop for the last 20+ minutes on top of everything else I've been casting, it's still stuck at 4/34
For Augmentation, I put up all my necro buffs, didn't see it move past 2/34
Tried using RoC to move Utility. No notable effect.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: experience issues 06/09/2012 12:28 PM CDT
Oh and Arcane sits at 1/34 the whole time.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: experience issues 06/24/2012 07:14 PM CDT

Was this addressed at all or is this about what we can expect? I was struggling to figure out how to train to various magic skills myself. Arcana and TM were easy enough and pretty much worked the way they do now. The only issue I really had with TM was the (from all appearances) huge difference in mana usage. I currently train TM in rescucitants, for example, by prepping strange arrow at 15, targeting, charging an armband at 17, focus, cast. In test if I attempt to do the same I'd be out of mana very, very quickly. I can drop the mana amounts but then I can hit them well enough to actually train anything. Had the same results in head-splitters and black gobs. Now, my TM is slightly under 500 so maybe it's a matter of overhunting not being an option in 3.0. I've always tended toward overhunting to learn TM so I could dump more mana in and train all magic skills together.

That's a lot of babbling, sorry. Point is, it seems the mana usage/efficiency is hugely different in 3.0, which made figuring out how to gain experience a bit tricky.

Back to experience, during all the TM training (I did end up locking TM and arcana), no other magic skill moved over 1/34. We have SF and halt available in 3.0 for debilitation. Casting each one does move debilitation to 1/34, but I was never able to move it past that. Not sure where my expectations should really be there.

When I log back in tomorrow I'll go through the augmentation spells as I would for hunting/pvp and see how that turns out.

~Katt

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: experience issues 06/24/2012 08:20 PM CDT
>I was struggling to figure out how to train

I'll preface this as I've done a few of these, I haven't been following DR3 testing that closely.

But I was under the impression that the exp rewards are on the table to evaluated, so what we see in test is 'check the spells to make sure they work' spells, and they'll tweak the exp rewards to be where they need to be later.

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: experience issues 06/24/2012 10:01 PM CDT
Magic EXP is a valid topic for discussion.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: experience issues 06/24/2012 11:29 PM CDT
>>Magic EXP is a valid topic for discussion.

From my own viewpoint, the fact that I have difficulty telling if magic EXP is fully functional or in the "we didn't even address it yet we're going to do that part last" phase like combat exp makes me feel like it's fully wonky.

For example, when testing out spells in young gryphons, I had USOL going, but TM not moving that much. Harness and PM weren't going that well, either. I tried shooting off HPs, VODs, and PVs at each Gryphon as they walked in, but Debilitation didn't go past 2/34. I'm not sure if I'm expecting EXP to work in an improper manner, or if I'm doing something wrong.

Re: experience issues 06/25/2012 06:59 AM CDT
Before we start testing magic exp, is it still functioning under the diminishing returns concept? I know for a while it was at least considered, if not planned, that we would have to cast a variety of spells to keep moving skills, and casting the same spell over and over would suffer greatly diminishing returns.

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: experience issues 06/25/2012 08:01 AM CDT

I was under that impression as well. Which is why I sort of expected to be able to train it by 'using' it in combat. Cast SF, cast my TM spell, cast halt, etc. Worked out well for TM and arcana but not so much for debilitation. Plus I wouldn't really use debilitation in that fashion so there's that too but yeah.

Basically just trying to get a feel for what to expect at this point.

~Katt

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: experience issues 06/25/2012 09:46 AM CDT
<<Magic EXP is a valid topic for discussion.>>

Yikes, really? It was so bad that I honestly thought it wasn't fair game to even move into. That was also a way of keeping myself from freaking out over how poor the learning was. I will check back into this in the next couple weeks and try and BUG things. The concept of "you will train by using it at close to regular pace in combat" is not working for my character. Contrast to Katt, neither arcana nor TM worked well for me. As far as I can tell, I can't learn TM above dabbling as it is now. I am waiting for TKS, since I can't learn above dabbling in current prime either without TKS or Crs. Strange arrow and burn were not getting me anywhere.