Prev_page Previous 1
Magic 3.0 Testing 05/17/2012 11:45 AM CDT
It is with great pleasure that I can announce that Magic 3.0 is ready for testing in DRT! The instance should be open now.

All bugs should be submitted through the X3 bug site. As always, please contact me if you don't have an account there or can't remember your credentials.

For information about the spells, you should refer to the lists posted in your respective guild folders.

All spells that are ready for testing are listed at https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-In-h_zZB2VYnFYZm5wN1VvaTQ, and are on global preview. This means that you can cast any released spell from the list without having to choose it from your guildleader first.

Here are the things we're looking for for all spells:

* Messaging errors - typos, bad second/third person messaging, blank spaces where there should be a target, etc.
* Functionality errors - Things that don't expire, casting doesn't give you any feedback, anything that seems off, etc.
* Anything weird at all - The goal of these tests is that we think all of these spells are close to release - Any and all bugs related to a spell, casting, etc should be reported.
* Spells giving the wrong experience

Things to try:

- Casting on yourself
- Casting on other players
- Casting on creatures
- Casting harmful spells on harmless creatures (NPCs, horses, shadowlings, etc)
- Asking guildleaders about the spells

Here's a general overview of how spell experience is intended to work:

* PM experience will be relatively small
* Each spell is has a specific skill it uses. Mostly, these follow the skill types. Barrier spells use warding, buff spells use Augmentation, debuffs use Debilitation, TM spells use TM, and spells that don't fit into these other categories are Utility.
* Some spells use two different skills. Spells that use two skills will use the LOWEST of the two. There is no averaging involved, because the idea is that since the spell is so complicated, you need a lot of skill in both skills.
* Consequently, these spells will train the skill that is used in the equation. Additionally, they will grant a pittance of experience to the skill not being used.
* Attunement experience will be trivial - It can be increased by harnessing mana.
* Arcana experience will be granted if you use cambrinth to charge your spell
* TM experience is determined by damage as it always has been
* Debilitation experience is determined by the success factor against the target(s)

Please feel free to ask questions in these forums.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: Magic 3.0 Testing 05/17/2012 11:51 AM CDT
You may need to TEST SKILLS RECONVERT if something seems off.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: Magic 3.0 Testing 05/17/2012 12:01 PM CDT
FIRST BUG OF THE DAY:
The comma you have after the google doc link is messing up the link. The site is trying to direct people to https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-In-h_zZB2VYnFYZm5wN1VvaTQ, instead of https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-In-h_zZB2VYnFYZm5wN1VvaTQ

>>Attunement experience will be trivial - It can be increased by harnessing mana.

And checking room power, right?

Looking forward to poking around on this tonight!

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Magic 3.0 Testing 05/17/2012 12:02 PM CDT
I'll give it a whirl when I get home. Question though, are the 'no play imports' bans still in effect? My highest pm and stable of characters are over there.

And I assume NMU magic systems are NOT in this release, so we don't need to test those?

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: Magic 3.0 Testing 05/17/2012 12:03 PM CDT
>>Question though, are the 'no play imports' bans still in effect?

Ugh, I hope not. I really wanted to test with Uzmam since I don't even have a solid grasp on what Pureblade is meant to be capable of doing these days.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Magic 3.0 Testing 05/17/2012 12:13 PM CDT
Wheeee!

~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/Leilond
http://drzeal.forumotion.com Learn How to PvP!
Re: Magic 3.0 Testing 05/17/2012 02:57 PM CDT
>>are the 'no play imports' bans still in effect? My highest pm and stable of characters are over there.

We can work something out, ASSIST and somebody will help you out.

>>And I assume NMU magic systems are NOT in this release, so we don't need to test those?

Correct

>>And checking room power, right?

Correct

>>The comma you have after the google doc link is messing up the link.

Doh

>>Spells not being able to be cast

There was a big that I fixed around this just now, spells that were failing to cast properly should be succeeding.

--

Re: Magic 3.0 Testing 05/17/2012 05:05 PM CDT
>There was a big that I fixed around this just now, spells that were failing to cast properly should be succeeding.

How fixed is fixed? I'm unable to cast most cleric spells at all, and the ones I can I barely get above min mana. Mid 200s in the new magic skills, theurgy is under 200. Devotion is good, not sure what's going on.

Also, anyone toss out the x3 link in here in case we've missed it?

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: Magic 3.0 Testing 05/17/2012 05:35 PM CDT
That google doc link is showing as Not Found for me.

Abison/Rystien
Re: Magic 3.0 Testing 05/17/2012 05:42 PM CDT
No barbarian stuff. I'm hurt :.(

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Magic 3.0 Testing 05/17/2012 06:31 PM CDT
<<That google doc link is showing as Not Found for me.>>

Did you take the comma off the end of the link?

You say, "Tada."

WHAM
A sudden burst of oily smelling air strikes you in the face.
Re: Magic 3.0 Testing 05/17/2012 06:38 PM CDT
Standing in a shimmering room and it seems impossible to cast anything beyond 1 mana.

Also don't seem to have the mental fatigue to do pretty much anything.

Re: Magic 3.0 Testing 05/17/2012 06:46 PM CDT
Ok so I'm not sure what I broke or didn't break.

I logged in ran to a hunting ground to try and test some spells and found out the hard way I didn't have a shield on for some reason. I got a head bleeder in a few hits and noticed none of my spells were working, except ease burden. Thinking it was vitality loss, I used my HE jewelry gift to staunch the blood and let my vitality heal up and try to cast Consume Flesh to heal the bleeder, but I still kept getting "You feel intense strain as you try to manipulate the mana streams to form this pattern, and you are not certain that you will have enough mental stamina to complete it."

I run out of the hunting ground and use herbs to heal up the wound and noticed that my vitality is stuck at 80% now (not sure if this is a side benefit of the Blood Staunch spell from the gift or something else) and still keep getting the mental stamina message on any spell that isn't ease burden.

Anyone have a clue what the mental stamina message is and how to fix it?

I also can't harness any mana (not even 5). "Strain though you may, you are unable to harness and localize this much energy around yourself."

Some stats:
Int/Wisdom around 60
Magic skills all at least 500+
Attunement and PM 700+
Re: Magic 3.0 Testing 05/17/2012 06:54 PM CDT
Just as an aside, HEALME still works in test. Fully restores everything.

That said, yes, it seems like mana is acting wonky. I can't cast anything that requires 2 or more mana.

Re: Magic 3.0 Testing 05/17/2012 06:54 PM CDT
>"You feel intense strain as you try to manipulate the mana streams to form this pattern, and you are not certain that you will have enough mental stamina to complete it."

Seems to be the case with Necro spells (you are a necro, no?) and Cleric spells. PB/Uz reported the same a couple posts above, and I had the same happen to my cleric. I assumed it was only for clerics, woops.

Re: Magic 3.0 Testing 05/17/2012 07:30 PM CDT
Turns out it was all spells. I've fixed the issue - You need to relog to get the fix to take. The way we calculated harness pools changed dramatically, and that change wasn't being properly handled.

--

Re: Magic 3.0 Testing 05/17/2012 08:37 PM CDT
Are the spell reqs to cast esoteric spells greater than 300+ ranks in skills? I noticed 2-3 that I couldn't cast but I wasn't sure if that was intended with the new scope of things.

~ Player of Callahaan Val'kesh
Re: Magic 3.0 Testing 05/17/2012 10:31 PM CDT
for some reason can't get on that site.

but i noticed these two bugs.
when casting quicken the earth, <necro> i could only get it to work by casting it on myself, rather than just casting it.
when testing spells on other characters, it would message damage, but no damage seemed to be actually inflicted. <necro vs cleric>.
this was without using healme.

i'll try horses later when i can remember which of my prime characters actually has a horse. :-)

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: Magic 3.0 Testing 05/17/2012 10:58 PM CDT
Interesting stuff. Hoping we can get an instructions manual sometime in the near future on cyclics/stances/etc and the differences between current and 3.0 magic. Off the top of my head some things I noticed...

1) We can cast spells much higher now, and spells have much higher minimum preps.
2) Attunement seems to restore inversely from current. i.e. you restore attunement faster when you get low in attunemenet % rather than high.
3) Cast creature seems to work, cast area hits everything including people in your group, not sure what other cast options there are.
4) Certain magic warding spells prevent you from even casting spells. Like Pormethius put up AC and I couldn't even get Abandoned Heart to start while in the same room, but if I went east, started it and back west it would continue to pulse and just not hit him but hit everyone else.
5) Harnessing huge amounts of mana seems ok in 3.0, as I don't leak as much and I don't get nerve damage from backfiring.
6) Cyclic spells seem to auto-fail when in a group, but if I leave the group they work just fine.

I noted all of this stuff in the bug database, in addition to some points I didn't mention here. Overall a very fun and interesting system so far -- Looking forward to playing with magic stances and seeing how easily I can Dispel an Aether Cloak, Ghost Fog, Shear or Worm's Mist :P

~Leilond
Re: Magic 3.0 Testing 05/17/2012 11:02 PM CDT
One glaring issue I see is with mana. Apparently the new attunement seriously drains mana at an incredible rate compared to PRIME. It has been explained to me that mana returns faster at lower mana % but I'm sitting around waiting for mana to return at 1000+ skill in attunement in a glaring mana room as a magic primary caster. I completely support slowing combat and nerfing our damage if needs be but could you please tweak the mana returns so magic primary casters aren't sitting around waiting to be able to cast. I tried to lock warding by casting ES and 1) I cannot get it past 5/34 and 2) I tap out after just a few casts at 20 mana preps. I'm not in panic mode or anything but this completely took me by surprise to see this significant of a change with our ability to cast spells over time but I am very excited M3 is out in testing so thank you for all your work up there.

-P

Luck is nothing more than opportunity meeting preparation.
Re: Magic 3.0 Testing 05/17/2012 11:36 PM CDT
I can't log in to the bug tracker at the moment so I'm going to throw this here. Otherwise I'll forget by morning.

You reach out with your senses and see brilliant streams of golden Holy mana radiating through the area.
Letting your senses extend further, you feel there is shining mana to the northwest, and glowing mana to the northeast.
You sense the Sentinel's Resolve spell upon you, which will last for about nine roisaen.
You sense the Heroic Strength spell upon you, which will last less than a roisan.
>Your magical senses detect the Manifest Force spell surrounding you with shining mana to the northwest, and glowing mana to the northeast..

Just that last line looks wonky.

~Katt

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: Magic 3.0 Testing 05/17/2012 11:38 PM CDT
>>when testing spells on other characters, it would message damage, but no damage seemed to be actually inflicted. <necro vs cleric>.
this was without using healme.

This was only the case with BLB. You took damage with ACS.

Re: Magic 3.0 Testing 05/17/2012 11:55 PM CDT

One last thing before I call it a night:

> focus my armb
You focus your magical senses on a wide cambrinth armband.
Your link to the cambrinth armband is intact.
> cast

You gesture.
You feel your courage bolstered by your faith and determination.

Just noticed my camb armbands haven't been discharging at all when I cast. They are full though.

~Katt

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: Magic 3.0 Testing 05/18/2012 07:22 AM CDT
Also I wouldn't call it a BUG per-se(even though I logged it on the bug tracker) but Eye of Kertigen is acting like a cyclic spell, but it was slated to be a regular castable spell.

Eye of Kertigen
Advanced Utility. Searches area with improved perception for a short time. Lights up area around Bard.

I think this was an excellent design decision as Sanctuary is already one of our cyclic spells and is supposed to negate hiding/invisibility.

Sanctuary
Esoteric Cyclic Utility. Strong Ward against Location, prevents Hiding / Invisibility, prevents generic creature entry.

I also bugged the fact that the 'prevents Hiding/Invisibility' part of Sanctuary isn't working in the test instance. I captured this info from the original spell list: http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Post:Tentative_Bard_Magic_3.0_Spell_List_-_10/18/2010_-_18:41:34

I am reallllly hoping this was just an oversight as I truly loved the ideas that were originally posted!

~Leilond
Re: Magic 3.0 Testing 05/18/2012 09:36 AM CDT
Thanks to my computer partially frying shortly before M3 testing began, I haven't been able to go through all of the bug reports yet, but here are a few responses.

- The auto-facing oddities with Cast are a known issue that is somewhat tied to Combat. If it's interfering with a self-cast spell, try "cast yourname" for now.

- If the guildleader is listing a blank spell prereq, it just means that other spell hasn't been converted to M3 yet.

- I thought this was announced before, but if not: TARGETable spells use their targeted time as their prepped time. If you don't target, it will be treated as a minimal snapcast no matter how long you prepped. This is intentional.

- The base mana costs for ritual spells are indeed very high, hence the need for ritual foci. I've just placed some ritual focus samples for you guys at Town Green South in Crossing. The ritual spells at this time are Invocation of the Spheres, Shadow Servant, Mantle of Flame, Aegis of Granite, Murrula's Flames, Persistence of Mana, Circle of Sympathy, and Seal Cambrinth.

GM Grejuva
Re: Magic 3.0 Testing 05/18/2012 10:53 AM CDT
<<The ritual spells at this time are Invocation of the Spheres, Shadow Servant, Mantle of Flame, Aegis of Granite, Murrula's Flames, Persistence of Mana, Circle of Sympathy, and Seal Cambrinth.>>

What's Circle of Sympathy? I didn't see it on the list anywhere.

Thanks,
-Life Sustainer Karthor
Re: Magic 3.0 Testing 05/18/2012 11:01 AM CDT
Is the barb stuff in?
Re: Magic 3.0 Testing 05/18/2012 11:02 AM CDT
>>The base mana costs for ritual spells are indeed very high, hence the need for ritual foci.

Are there going to be other foci that reduce base mana costs as a whole? I was surprised to see VIVI and WORM have minimums over 20

Re: Magic 3.0 Testing 05/18/2012 11:10 AM CDT
I am trying to get the hang of how cyclics work, but it's so tricksy :(

R> release
You aren't harnessing any mana.
You let your concentration lapse and feel the spell's energies dissipate.

> prep aew 20

You trace an arcane sigil in the air, shaping the pattern of the Aether Wolves spell.
> per
You reach out with your senses and hear shining streams (13/21) of harmonious Elemental mana coursing through the area.
Concentrating harder on the sounds you hear, you can sense brilliant mana (17/21) to the west, brilliant mana (17/21) to the east, and luminous mana (14/21) to the north.
You are preparing the Aether Wolves spell at twenty mana.
Roundtime: 3 sec.
R> harness 60

You tap into the mana from sixty of the surrounding streams and attempt to keep it channeling in a stream around you.
R> 'Should be 4 pulses
You say, "Should be 4 pulses." (60 + 1 mana = 61, with the cyclic draining 20 mana per pulse)
>
You feel fully prepared to cast your spell.
> harness 1

You tap into the mana from one of the surrounding streams and add it to the impressive amount already streaming around you.
R> cast

There is nothing else to face!
You gesture.

>
You deftly contribute enough of your harnessed streams to maintain your cyclic spell.
A descending scale preceeds a return to an earlier theme, and you find yourself slowing as a distinctly lighter tone colors your singing.
> 'One.
You say, "One."
>
You feel fully rested.
>
You deftly contribute enough of your harnessed streams to maintain your cyclic spell.
The clear notes of your enchante define a drifting melody that easily soars into the higher reaches of your range.
> 'Two
You say, "Two."
>
Light rain begins to fall from the sky.
>
You drop your voice to a whisper as you reprise the last tones of the chorus once more, your voice still vibrant with the emotion of those earlier measures.
> 'Three, with 1 mana left
You say, "Three, with 1 mana left."
> mana
You have more than two-thirds but less than three quarters of your normal attunement to the mana flowing through this area.
You are currently harnessing a tiny amount of mana into a localized line around you.
You are currently starting all enchantes at thirty(30) mana or minimum prep, whichever is greater.
Use MANA HELP for more.
>
You contribute your harnessed streams to help maintain your cyclic spell.
Your spell ends as you fail to provide it with its necessary fuel.
The final tones of your enchante end with an abrupt flourish that leaves stark silence in its wake.

This test performed as expected. Now, I try a min prep Aether Wolves to see how that works, and if it yields the same 4 pulses. I was confused by the results.

> prep aew
Since you're not feeding enough power into the spell pattern to make it coherent, you quickly work your way to the minimum required.

You trace an arcane sigil in the air, shaping the pattern of the Aether Wolves spell.
> harness 60

You tap into the mana from sixty of the surrounding streams and attempt to keep it channeling in a stream around you.
R>
You feel fully prepared to cast your spell.
> 'Should be at least the same 4 pulses.
You say, "Should be at least the same 4 pulses."
> harness 1

You tap into the mana from one of the surrounding streams and add it to the impressive amount already streaming around you.
R> per

You reach out with your senses and hear shining streams (13/21) of harmonious Elemental mana coursing through the area.
Concentrating harder on the sounds you hear, you can sense brilliant mana (17/21) to the west, brilliant mana (17/21) to the east, and luminous mana (14/21) to the north.
You have fully prepared the Aether Wolves spell at one mana.
R> cast

There is nothing else to face!
You gesture.
You deftly contribute enough of your harnessed streams to maximize the pattern's potential. (This messaging confuses me, as it was not in the 1st test. For some reason, it seems when I min prep a cyclic some of my harnessed mana goes towards the initial cast?)

>
With a speed that makes each note tumble after the next in a rich cascade, you continue to embellish the enchante's main melody with flourishes and a trembling vibrato at the end of each phrase. Your tempo increases as you get caught up in its infectious rhythms.
> 'One.
You say, "One."
>
You feel fully rested.
>
The clear notes of your enchante define a drifting melody that easily soars into the higher reaches of your range.
> 'Two
You say, "Two."
>
You contribute your harnessed streams to help maintain your cyclic spell.
Your spell ends as you fail to provide it with its necessary fuel.
The final tones of your enchante end with an abrupt flourish that leaves stark silence in its wake.
> 'Three?
You ask, "Three?"

~Leilond
Re: Magic 3.0 Testing 05/18/2012 11:13 AM CDT
Also if I prep Aether Wolves at over 20 mana it defaults back down to 20. Not sure what that's supposed to symbolize.

> prep aew 50
Since you're attempting to feed more power into the spell pattern than it is capable of utilizing, you quickly work your way down to its maximal potential.

> per

You are preparing the Aether Wolves spell at twenty mana.

~Leilond
Re: Magic 3.0 Testing 05/18/2012 11:15 AM CDT
<<Also if I prep Aether Wolves at over 20 mana it defaults back down to 20. Not sure what that's supposed to symbolize.>>

Sounds like a nice way to determine a spell's maximum power level. Neat feature.

Thanks,
-Life Sustainer Karthor
Re: Magic 3.0 Testing 05/18/2012 11:53 AM CDT
>>Sounds like a nice way to determine a spell's maximum power level. Neat feature.

Yep. One of the first things I did was prep at 999 and see what the spell caps were, hah.

I'm surprised that there are a chunk of Necro spells that can cap out at around 100.

Re: Magic 3.0 Testing 05/18/2012 12:32 PM CDT
>You sense the Instinct spell upon you, which will last for about eight thousand three hundred thirty-three roisaen.

Min prep, snap casted. Not that I wouldn't MIND that duration, but that seems like a bug.

-pete
Re: Magic 3.0 Testing 05/18/2012 12:41 PM CDT
>>I'm surprised that there are a chunk of Necro spells that can cap out at around 100.

Normal spells hover around 100 for their cap. Bearing in mind Spell Stance is there and you don't need to cap a spell to reach maximum effectiveness.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Magic 3.0 Testing 05/18/2012 01:00 PM CDT
>Is the barb stuff in?

Asked and answered up thread. But no, magic strictly right now.

Re: Magic 3.0 Testing 05/18/2012 06:21 PM CDT
>>Is the barb stuff in?

Not just yet. Several M3 changes broke your abilities while I wasn't watching, and I need to go get them fixed up before releasing things. Hopefully I'll make good progress on it this weekend.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Magic 3.0 Testing 05/18/2012 10:12 PM CDT
Could someone check if letting roaming/cyclic/damaging AoE spells pulse in a justice zone doesn't cause any kind of criminal charge?

I noticed that, if I cast USOL out of a justice zone, then run into town to let it pulse, I never get any kind of charge. Just wondering if it's a bug (or at least I'd assume it's a bug and not a feature) unique to the spell or if all attack AoE cyclic spells don't cause any kind of charge if cast out of justice and allowed to pulse in town.

Re: Magic 3.0 Testing 05/20/2012 07:04 PM CDT
I've been wondering, what is the final destination of OM? It's not on the spell sheet, that I saw. Invalidated by new game design? Made into tasty tasty cookies? Just not done yet so not worth testing?

Re: Magic 3.0 Testing 05/21/2012 07:03 AM CDT
>>I've been wondering, what is the final destination of OM?

I'm going to guess and say, "Just not done yet."

Because of... http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Post:Tentative_Magic_3.0_Cleric_Spell_List_-_10/7/2010_-_14:53:55

Osrel Meraud
Esoteric Utility. Stores non-cyclic beneficial spells.

All hail Elanthipedia? :P

~Leilond
Re: Magic 3.0 Testing 05/21/2012 07:46 AM CDT
Oh, and...

Thank You all who are involved with all of this magic awesomeness!!

I was talking with one of my friends and we both agree that this new magic stuff actually feels like its own system. Like, I could have a battle just by doing magic stuff that's not even directly doing damage, and that's a really awesome feeling that adds so much depth to combat and the game as a whole.

Please keep doing what you're doing because this is like all kinds of mental candy :D

Also much <3 for the GMs both in test and outside of test who listen to player opinions and try to mold the game design along the lines of some of that :)

It is very much appreciated and one reason why I love playing this game, because it really does feel like we're all a close knit pseudo-family.

~Leilond
Prev_page Previous 1