A test 05/22/2009 02:01 PM CDT
Ok, so here's a test I'm currently halfway through. The idea was to train some skills to locked in the test server, let them drain out and record the length of time, tally the ranks, and then see how the exp gain compares to what I experience in Prime (part 2 of the test) over the same amount of time.

I've never really run any tests before, so it's probably gonna be kind of useless info. I'm not sure which of these skills are on walls. Additionally, when I get to round 2, my ranks in prime are a tad higher and on different points of the wall cycle, so this isn't exactly scientifically perfect.

Skill Start Ranks Time to Drain Gain
MO 328 61.28% 91 minutes .3239
Evasion 339 55.93% 147 minutes .2705
Parry 371 52.89% 105 minutes .21
HC 331 69.35% 147 minutes .2751
Shield 337 24.74% 147 minutes .2714
Leather 293 62.11% 147 minutes .2628

All skills started at Mind Lock, and as soon as they hit clear I noted the time, checking exp every 200 seconds. I slept while doing this.

Ready for the really weird part? Towards the end, I realized that vocals and musical theory were still in the draining race.

Skill Rank Starting State Time to Drain Gain
Vocals 641.47 Considering 130 minutes .07
Musical Theory 556.36 Perusing 124 minutes .02

The numbers aren't as precise, and the mind state to start might have been one higher or so since I didn't include those skills in my checking script.

It seems to me that something's screwy. I'm gonna try to start phase two of the test shortly, but so far these are my impressions:

I was under the impression that a skill in any set (Primary, second, tert) would drain in much less time. The fact that my primary two skills took forever to go nowhere leads me to believe something is really screwy.

I'm kind of getting the same feeling of grindyness others mentioned. I didn't bother trying to lock weapons for testing (I had some difficulty getting some moving, which I guess is technically good but frustrating when you're trying to get to a relatively low mindstate before switching weapons and just...not getting there).

Again, those are initial impressions. Gonna start my Prime part of the test now. Further results in another 2 and a half hours, I suppose.

-=Issus=-
Re: A test 05/22/2009 02:40 PM CDT
>I was under the impression that a skill in any set (Primary, second, tert) would drain in much less time. The fact that my primary two skills took forever to go nowhere leads me to believe something is really screwy.

I believe this is incorrect.

Pool is 3 times larger.

Drain rate is 3 times smaller.

Pulse size should be about the same as prime, but your pools can hold 3 times as much as they used to.

So when you mind lock in the new system, you have put three times as much exp in your pool as in the old and since the drain rate is the same, you'll take 3 times as long to drain.

People need to stop using ML as an indicator to move on to different skills.

-pete
Re: A test 05/22/2009 02:45 PM CDT
He was referring to the difference in time between his mindlock Primary skills draining to clear vs. his mindlocked Tert skills draining to clear under the new system. Not how its comparable to the current standard.

According to Z's original post the primary pools would drain fastest, terts the slowest. He even gave approximate drain times. Issus observed the opposite to that.

-Evran

Crackling with unspent rage since 386AV.
Re: A test 05/22/2009 02:50 PM CDT
Actually, I was referring to this:

>>- It should take anywhere from 40-60 minutes for a primary skill to pulse from mind lock to clear. Assuming you can get them to mind lock in the first place. Anywhere from 50-80 for secondary skills, and anywhere from 70-100ish for a tert.

What I saw was 105 and 91 minutes for secondary, and 147 for terts. As for primary: They didn't start locked, they started at really low learning rates actually. The reason they took so long to drain down to clear is a problem in the system, I'd assume.

-=Issus=-
Re: A test 05/22/2009 02:54 PM CDT
<<Actually, I was referring to this:

That's what I basically said just without the quote from his post...

<<What I saw was 105 and 91 minutes for secondary, and 147 for terts.

My guess is the recent modification of mentals to have less of an effect caused the slower drain then originally posted. That seems like it could be around the right time.

<<As for primary: They didn't start locked, they started at really low learning rates actually. The reason they took so long to drain down to clear is a problem in the system, I'd assume.

Definitely something wonky with this. They should have cleared in a few pulses if they started that low.

-Evran

Crackling with unspent rage since 386AV.
Re: A test 05/22/2009 03:01 PM CDT
>>Drain rate is 3 times smaller.

Not exactly , unless I've been confused this whole time. I'm not sure it's really fair to to compare something that drains exponentially (exp decay) to something that drains constantly.

But again, I might be misinformed as I am but a newb to this whole venture.

-- Player of Szrael --

You grip the oversized book hanging from your leather belt and survey the area with a hint of malice in your eyes.

With a violent cross-body motion, you draw your oversized book.
Re: A test 05/22/2009 03:13 PM CDT
>What I saw was 105 and 91 minutes for secondary, and 147 for terts. As for primary: They didn't start locked, they started at really low learning rates actually. The reason they took so long to drain down to clear is a problem in the system, I'd assume.

Gotcha... Misread the post.

>>>Drain rate is 3 times smaller.
>>Not exactly , unless I've been confused this whole time. I'm not sure it's really fair to to compare something that drains exponentially (exp decay) to something that drains constantly.

Z posted that the drain rate is now a constant percentage of pool size, was reduced to compensate for the increase in pool size, and should result in approximately the same pulse size.

-pete
Re: A test 05/23/2009 01:07 PM CDT
Here's part 2. I debated whether or not to bother posting the results simply because the results probably hold no practical value due to the difference in wall rank cycles between my prime and test skills. However, here's the comparison of ranks gained in each skill.

I recorded the amount gained for each skill at different times, to correlate with how long it took them to drain to clear on Test, so that the numbers weren't all out of whack. However, it should be noted that if I were to train how I normally would in prime, all of the skills that drained earlier in Test would have still been being worked in Prime.

Put another way: If I'm going to train leather, evasion, HC, and shield for 147 minutes, I'm gonna be training Parry and MO as well.

SkillTime Trained/DrainedGained in TestGained in Prime Gained After Full 147 minutes
MO91 Minutes.3239.1871.3260
Evasion147 Minutes.2705.2645Na
Parry105 Minutes.2100.2900.4092
HC147 Minutes.2751.23.52Na
Shield147 Minutes.2714.2500Na
Leather147 Minutes.2628.3569

So, as I said, due to the difference in wall ranks, it makes it difficult to really draw any concrete conclusions. If nothing else, I guess it just shows that the experience gain (at least in these skills) isn't outrageously different.

Still don't know what the deal was with Vocals and Musical lore on the Test server, though. I'll try to hop over to test those later.

-=Issus=-