First Post 05/20/2009 02:37 PM CDT
Have at it.
Re: First Post 05/20/2009 07:50 PM CDT
So, I've done some testing. First, you guys weren't kidding about getting to Mind Lock. On a script which usually gets me Mind Locked in 5 minutes in prime, took me a little more than 30 minutes on the test server.

Here's what I recorded as the new learning rates.

clear
dabbling
perusing
learning
thoughtful
thinking
considering
pondering
ruminating
concentrating
attentive
deliberative
interested
examining
understanding
absorbing
intruiged
scrutinizing
analyzing
studious
focused
very focused
engaged
very engaged
congitating
fascinated
captivated
engrossed
riveted
very riveted
rapt
very rapt
enthralled
nearly locked
mind lock

My Mentals: Disc 45, Wisdom 45, Intel 42

On at skill at 496 ranks, I was puling from Mind Lock at a constant rate of 1.44%. At least I did test from Mind Lock to Fascinated and stopped when I saw it was constant. I then did some test to see learning rates at lower levels.

dabbling : .01%
perusing : 1.11%
learning: 1.44% | .43%
thoughtful : 1.44% | 1.17%

I noticed a pattern once again, 1.44%. I'm assuming the new experience system has changed so no matter how your mind is treating the subject, you get a constant pulse (the variations in numbers is when I went to Clear).

I went out to raise my wisdom one point to see what effect it had. And it did not change much at all. I still had 1.44% drain rate.

I guess I was expected a increase in drain rate. But overall I'm assuming the system has changed so no-matter what, you will have a constistance drain rate, while having higher learning rates will allow that to constantly keep up.

More testing when I'm not feeling lazy, in class, doing homework, or work. So... maybe not anytime soon.

:)

Zulkirs-
Re: First Post 05/20/2009 07:55 PM CDT
That's comparable to what I saw when manually training shield and locks, Zulkirs. You're seeing the larger pool in action. :)

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: First Post 05/20/2009 08:29 PM CDT
Not sure if it was you, or if it's what was actually shown in game, but there are some typos there.

Intruiged = Intrigued.
Congitating = Cognitating.
Re: First Post 05/20/2009 08:41 PM CDT
I didn't see the Congitating typo, but the Intrigued one has been noted. Poor Zeyurn!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: First Post 05/20/2009 08:49 PM CDT
Zulkir,

Was the skill in question Primary, Secondary or Tertiary?

You might find that, depending on where you are at in the wall cycle, your pulses will be slightly lower in Test than in Prime, for Primary skills.

One of the things that was changed was the lessening/removal of wall cycles. So the big gains you might expect post wall in Prime are now averaged out with the terrible gains you get when you are on a wall.

GENT
Re: First Post 05/21/2009 12:27 AM CDT
>>Was the skill in question Primary, Secondary or Tertiary?

Primary. And I've been using the same script for over 50 ranks so I think I would notice any difference if my script took over 10 minutes to complete. The average is around 5-7 minutes. :)

And yes, I may have misspelled a few words, I didn't copy/paste, rather manually type.

Zulkirs-
Re: First Post 05/21/2009 05:15 AM CDT
Sooo did a lot of testing, I'll write about magic testing in this post

Warrior Mage upper six hundreds for pm/har and five hundred for md. intell 50, wisdom 44, disc 53

In test
Primary magic/Harness script

20 mins-thinking in PM/HAR & was dabbling in PP
30 mins-concentration in PM & attentive in HAR & dabbling in PP
40 mins-Intrigued in PM & Scrutinizing in HAR & dabbling in PP
50 mins-Very focused PM & Very engaged in HAR & dabbling in PP
60 mins-cogitating in PM & Engrossed in HAR & dabbling in PP(It actually drained to clear for a while here)
70 mins-engrossed in PM & Rapt in HAR & dabbling in PP
78 mins-locked in HAR & Rapt in PM & dabbling in PP
92 mins-locked in HAR/PM & dabbling in PP

Took nearly as long to drain to clear.
(Perhaps increase the spill over learning for power perception?)

In prime
Same Primary Magic/Harness Script

10 mins perplexing in pm/har & pondering in pp
13 mins locked in HAR & perplexed in PM & concentrating PP
18 mins locked in pm/har & concentrating in pp

In Prime

MD script
lock-10 mins md,

In Test

MD script
MD locked- 1 hour 20 mins
Took nearly as long to drain to clear.
(Had to go deal with something in prime at this point and forgot to record down pm/har)

Seems a bit slow in general to get up to the higher mind states? To me it feels like more of a grind, at this rate of learning. Bit iffy on the drain time, I kinda like it being long, but maybe not quite this long.

~Worrclan, Dwarf of the Realms-
Re: First Post 05/21/2009 06:50 AM CDT
>Seems a bit slow in general to get up to the higher mind states? To me it feels like more of a grind, at this rate of learning. Bit iffy on the drain time, I kinda like it being long, but maybe not quite this long.

I believe the idea is that you no longer need to grind to the higher mindstates. You get the same pulse size at dabbling as mindlock.

For example, go from clear to mind-lock in Prime, tally the total exp gain from clear to clear. Then in Test, go from clear to deliberative and tally the exp gain from clear to clear. That should be about the same amount of time and exp between the two.

Is it deliberative or attentive or interested that equates to old mind-lock in bits in pool? I don't know, as I haven't had time to test thoroughly enough to get it exact.
Re: First Post 05/21/2009 01:32 PM CDT
I did some test with Multi Opponent, tert weapon skill for Moon Mages.

I will exclude time it got me to become lock due to the nature of having multiple opponents.

Skill in both Prime & Test. 85.

Pulse drain in Prime, from Mind Lock to Bewildering. : 2.49%

Pulse drain in Test, from Mind Lock to Nearly Locked : 3.46%

Afterwards, I logged both off and let it drain with the converting log on-system (or whatever it's called when you log off for 8 hours and it converts 100% of your skill into ranks).

In prime, from Bewildering to clear, I got 16.22% increase.

In Test, from Nearly Locked to Clear, I got 45.89%.

I think with the new system, all the experience pool states names were renamed, and the system allows you to go much higher than before. So, for instance, if Mind Lock in prime is at level 12, it was just renamed to interested (level 12) in the new system.

If anyone has time to do some test of time it takes to Min Lock a skill in Prime, time it, then do the same thing in test and stop when the timer is up and see which mind state you're at, that would be awesome. I can do some later tonight.
Re: First Post 05/21/2009 05:19 PM CDT
>>I believe the idea is that you no longer need to grind to the higher mindstates. You get the same pulse size at dabbling as mindlock.

The goal is also partly to have longer drain times and allow time for other things. You need the higher mind states to get the long drain.

Worrclan's post seems be giving an example of the same concern I emailed about earlier in the week. He has much lower stats than Jhime and the same situation so I don't think it's an issue of high mentals maybe being "too good" for the system as previously mentioned.

It gives a feeling that I'm grinding even harder than before just so I can enjoy the new freedom. When I try to train a handful of skills together I never really get the extended drain at all recreating the cycle of constant training we wanted to shy away from.

My perceptions after a few combat and non-combat training routines.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n142/Sirzason/wmsheet2.jpg

a black panther comes flying into view! it hits the ground, bouncing once before sliding to a stop.
A black panther is stunned!
Re: First Post 05/21/2009 05:50 PM CDT
<<The goal is also partly to have longer drain times and allow time for other things. You need the higher mind states to get the long drain.
<<It gives a feeling that I'm grinding even harder than before just so I can enjoy the new freedom. When I try to train a handful of skills together I never really get the extended drain at all recreating the cycle of constant training we wanted to shy away from.

I noticed on my Moon Mage that training the 'circling' skills (i.e. magics mostly with a touch of survival) I had a beast of a time getting above thoughtful/learning. I had to work at getting that full pulse. If I slacked off a bit, or tried to train too much at once everything would pulse completely to clear each time.

On the flip side, combat as a moon mage was a dream. I had zero issues keeping at least as many skills moving as I do under the current live system and no longer had to stop because of mind murk issues. Not only that, the pulses were HUGE in the tert skills compared to what I'm normally getting.

Moral of the story...

Tert skills benefit a lot from the larger pools. I used to hate training combat on my moon mage, but now its a pleasure.

Primary skills almost drain too fast. This isn't necessarily a bad thing as far as raw learning goes, however, since you're still getting all of the exp you would have normally and almost instantly to boot. But its really, really hard to achieve the 'train a bunch of skills and go do some RP' with them. If after 3 or 4 pulses you are already clear its hard to justify sitting around doing something else.

Overall, I agree that it feels like I have to grind harder just to keep things moving. I also know that this is an illusion because of the way it drains. The exp earned per action hasn't actually changed, just the time frame in which its drained. Its just going to take some getting used to. This is a huge paradigm shift. I can already envision the panicked posts about how people can't reach ML anymore.

-Evran

Crackling with unspent rage since 386AV.
Re: First Post 05/21/2009 05:50 PM CDT
I respeced on the test server to cut my mentals in half, from 99 to 49, and I enjoyed the system a lot more. Although I'm happy with my capped mentals in general because I'd like to focus more on tert skills, which this will help with.

My advice would be to train as you'd like and just make sure you're keeping enough exp in your pools that your skills aren't hitting clear. Beyond that, try not to watch so much.
Re: First Post 05/21/2009 05:53 PM CDT
>I can already envision the panicked posts about how people can't reach ML anymore.

Yes. Zeyurn has said that this will likely bring attention to skills that need help (like foraging), so I think in the long run this won't be as much of an issue either. I just think the initial reaction might be... chaos.
Re: First Post 05/21/2009 06:56 PM CDT
I've made some changes in Test. All testers should

EXP FIXWALL

when they login. From feedback, I was apparently way too generous with what int/wis/disc let you do and the bonuses they all provide have gone down considerably, although they're still more beneficial than they were under the old system (especially Int).

-Z
Re: First Post 05/22/2009 11:17 AM CDT
>It gives a feeling that I'm grinding even harder than before just so I can enjoy the new freedom.

Unfortunately I have to agree with Jhime on this, based on my brief testing.

I'm of a different mindset than most folks however, in that I don't really care if I've got experience in my pools when I go off to arpee or annoy people. The rest of the time I'm running endless loops of scripts in training. I doubt much will change for me, but for other folks I can definitely see how they could view the larger pools as even more of a grind - or more accurately, more of a race to go from skill to skill in order to keep every possible skill in mid-range learning rates.

In summary, for most people it seems like this just diversifies and lengthens the grind, as opposed to alleviating it.
Re: First Post 05/22/2009 03:38 PM CDT
I think the new EXP system will only feel more grindy initially, as we as players are so programmed to lock a skill, move on, lock another skill, etc., because mind lock is how we achieved maximum pulse sizes.

But once we get a better feel for it, and that our numbers are going up just fine, even when we're not locking all the time, it will feel like less of a grind, especially for combat skills.

Aveda's Field Guide- http://dr.aveda.googlepages.com
Re: First Post 05/22/2009 03:44 PM CDT
The thing that concerns me at this point is that, while I had an easy time locking my tert, passively learned skills, when it came to training weapons it was difficult. Unless weapon exp is given a boost or something along those lines, it's going to be tough for me to get them all to a point on the learning ladder where I'll be able to go do other things for any significant timespan.

I haven't dabbled with lore really since I hate lore with a passion, but I'd imagine something similar to be the case. I might do some lore testing latter to see how difficult is for me to get them all to a decent time-till-clear point. I might not though...I really hate lore.

-=Issus=-
Re: First Post 05/22/2009 04:19 PM CDT
>>But once we get a better feel for it, and that our numbers are going up just fine, even when we're not locking all the time, it will feel like less of a grind, especially for combat skills.

So some other word becomes the new mind lock?

Here's me thoughts from earlier in the week most of you probably didn't get. See if this has been your experience at all.

All right some thoughts..

It's hard to mind lock anything that isn't tert. Crazy hard. I realize the goal is to not have to worry about always being mind locked anymore, but that also seems counter productive to the other goal. The pools are 3 times as big so we can fill it up then let it drain over a longer period so we can socialize/RP/other things. I can't get to that point, not even remotely close.

After a half hour straight of training PM and MD out of combat I got PM to very focused(21/34) and MD+HARN to riveted(28/34). I share those three just as a time frame. Learning only those skills, ones I feel I've learned to train pretty well, non-stop for a half hour I still am pretty far from a full pool. I don't need that much exp to learn well, but if I just wanted to for any number of reasons its not even possible in any sort of regular time frame.

In an actual non test situation I wouldn't be training 3 skills alone in the first place, especially when I get a full pulse at some other lower mind state. Once I add in more skills I'm definitely not going to reach mid-range to higher level mind states. Weapons seem to be the worst for me personally. I can't get above 5 or 6 on the mind state list for life of me and that drains quickly once I leave combat. This gives me virtually no incentive to leave combat and do other things.

Because It's so hard to get to higher mind states and the benefit of the triple sized pools I see points 1 and 2 of the original post failing to an extent.

1) Reduce obsession with mind-locking skills. In particular, make mindlock a much rarer thing
2) Reduce need to keep training a particular skill constantly

The obsession with mind-locking a skill will go away, but it will be replaced with another mind state goal. Once people get all scientific about it and start to figure out at which point they have enough exp to award a full pulse that will become the new goal. They will hit that point and then move on to another skill until it drops below the full pulse point and they will go back to it. This seems to be recreating the need to train a particular skill constantly since its so hard to take advantage of the triple sized pool.

I've yet to be able to fill up my pools with a nice amount of combat exp and feel like I could go drain elsewhere for a period long enough to justify leaving the hunting area. It took a full 30 minutes to get to that point training only 3 skills non-stop over and over and over.

Just my thoughts.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n142/Sirzason/wmsheet2.jpg

a black panther comes flying into view! it hits the ground, bouncing once before sliding to a stop.
A black panther is stunned!
Re: First Post 05/22/2009 04:40 PM CDT
<<Jhime's post

I agree with most of that.

Terts skills feel right to me. I can spend some time getting them to high mindstates relatively easily, but not instantly. And then when they drain, they drain slow enough so that I don't have to go back to put more exp into them for a good long while.

Primaries, and to a lesser extent Secondaries, are impossible to do get moving enough to be able to train for a bit then go off and do something else. If its anything at all I'd just say they drain too fast. Perhaps cutting back on the pulse size a bit will make it easier to accomplish this.

-Evran

Crackling with unspent rage since 386AV.
Re: First Post 05/22/2009 04:45 PM CDT
>Perhaps cutting back on the pulse size a bit will make it easier to accomplish this.

Och, he already cut back. I don't want to be too far below current exp system rates from mind lock.
Re: First Post 05/22/2009 08:45 PM CDT
>>It's hard to mind lock anything that isn't tert. Crazy hard. I realize the goal is to not have to worry about always being mind locked anymore, but that also seems counter productive to the other goal. The pools are 3 times as big so we can fill it up then let it drain over a longer period so we can socialize/RP/other things. I can't get to that point, not even remotely close.

I was going to come back on my last post and say essentially this but was too tired that morning after testing all night long. My colleague in destruction has summed it up succinctly however.

<<In an actual non test situation I wouldn't be training 3 skills alone in the first place,

This to, if you don't sit there and grind away at something you can't really get it to move. Which I found when I was using my original MD script, two charges of the orb made PM lag behind a ton... I'd hate to have to tune something for speed of action to be able to learn.

<<I believe the idea is that you no longer need to grind to the higher mindstates. You get the same pulse size at dabbling as mindlock.

Right the only point to my testing was to see how long it took, because the higher the mindstate you get before you stop, the longer you get to have it drain to go do something else. As of right now if I were to plan a strategy for future learning, I'd probably shoot for Intrigued to Very Focused range.

<<Is it deliberative or attentive or interested that equates to old mind-lock in bits in pool?

Pretty sure it might be attentive is equal to the old mind lock, or at least testing with my compendiums that lock me in prime... in test with them I got attentive.

..off to test the newest changes!

Re: First Post 05/22/2009 09:01 PM CDT
Part of this is obviously that there's a huge disparity in ease of lock for some skills regarding others.

Part of it is just that these numbers are really REALLY hard to get right.

I'll keep making some tweaks here, probably tomorrow.

-Z
Re: First Post 05/22/2009 10:00 PM CDT
>>a huge disparity in ease of lock for some skills regarding others

Is this something that's going to be addressed along with the EXP changes, or is that beyond the scope of this project?

-- Player of Szrael --

You grip the oversized book hanging from your leather belt and survey the area with a hint of malice in your eyes.

With a violent cross-body motion, you draw your oversized book.
Re: First Post 05/22/2009 10:07 PM CDT
It's beyond the immediate scope but the worst skills are what I'd like to consider 'Priority 1'. You may even see some fixed before this gets out of Test.

-Z
Re: First Post 05/31/2009 03:13 AM CDT
After the newest change, lots better.

Couple of ideas though.

Combat, from the view point of a warrior mage... weapon learning speed could go slightly higher and defense learning slightly lower. Just counter productive to be able to lock all defenses pretty quick and have just one weapon take almost three times as long. I'll provide data on this later.

There are specific things that need help though as they just don't get enough bits fast enough. If we are covering that with this change?

Mech learning from Origami.

Power perception learning from power walking and spill off from casting.(spill off from casting never gets above dabbling)

(I'd go test more, but test is dead right now)