Combat 3.0 Testing 3/8/12 03/08/2012 01:47 PM CST
Heyo!

I've just released a ton of updates to combat in the Test instance. I've fixed a few more of the outstanding bugs, and probably added a few new ones. Here's a quick overview of what has changed. If you have a chance during the coming week, give combat a few quick runs in the Test instance and let me know what seems broken or in need of tweaking, with the following disclaimers:

* Armor Protection *

Armor Protection has been completely redone. It is now both better and worse than before. Previously it was just a number that grew at a fixed rate based on armor stats and skill, and skill was mostly meaningless at lower levels and overwhelmingly meaningful at ultra high levels. The new model is actually a contest between the incoming offense and the armor skill, with the result modifying the protection rating of the armor to determine the final defense.

What this means is that the better your armor skill is compared to the incoming attack, the more effective the armor protection will be. No matter how unskilled you are, the armor will still apply some protection (it is always there, after all), but it is definitely to the player's advantage to treat their armor skill like all other combat skills -- the more you have compared to your enemy's offensive skill, the better off you are. This is intended to represent knowledge of your armor's strengths and weakness alongside your ability to maneuver the armor to best deflect the incoming attack. Obviously, the more skilled the attack, the more skill you need to keep it from exploiting your armor's weaknesses.

TESTING: Please try combat with and without armor to see if you notice a difference. Also try swapping out armor for something you are more or less skilled in and try to see how that impacts things.

* Damage *

I fixed a few issues with damage that were causing it to be lower than most people expected it to be. Part of the problem was the armor protection --- it was still scaling for the massive damage outputs of the old system, and fixing that has helped bring the damage levels back up to more appropriate levels.

TESTING: Let me know how the damage levels feel now. I can always raise or lower them more. Be sure to look at the messaging I added that lets you know your overall skill comparison when judging damage -- take into account how you compare to your enemy when trying to judge damage levels.

* Messaging *

I updated the messaging system to restore messaging about parrying and blocking. You should find you get more of a mix than before -- it no longer prioritizes messaging based on a preset hard-coded order. It will now base which defense is messaged based on how much of each defense contributed to the results.

TESTING: Just let me know if any messaging seems broken now, or if you are getting messaged for defenses you aren't using at all.

* Styles *

TESTING:
I still don't have the tactical stuff done, but all the styles should be working on a basic level. Please do check the basic attacks if you haven't done so already, and see if the results are scaling as expected. For those of you who aren't following my posts in the Combat forums, here's a quick summary:

Light attacks: Jab
Moderate attacks: Attack, Slice (slice), Thrust (puncture), Swing (impact)
Heavy attacks: Chop (slice), Lunge (puncture), Bash (impact)

Those that show a damage type will favor that particular type of damage. Jab and Attack favor no particular damage. In general, CHOP should hit more and do more slice damage than SLICE which should do more than JAB, and so on for each damage type. Please check and make sure this seems to be the case overall.

- GM Dartenian

Though my soul may set in darkness it will rise in perfect light. I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night! - Sarah Williams
Re: Combat 3.0 Testing 3/8/12 03/08/2012 02:00 PM CST
Thanks for the update Dart. I'll try to get over there tonight for a couple hours.
Re: Combat 3.0 Testing 3/8/12 03/08/2012 02:17 PM CST
Are we still filing the bugs in that database we were given a while ago?
Re: Combat 3.0 Testing 3/8/12 03/08/2012 03:31 PM CST
Let's you, Worrclan and I try to meet up later tonight Taleek :)

~Leilond
http://tinyurl.com/Leilond-Portrait
http://drzeal.forumotion.com Learn How to PvP!
Re: Combat 3.0 Testing 3/8/12 03/08/2012 03:37 PM CST
Sounds good.
Re: Combat 3.0 Testing 3/8/12 03/08/2012 05:57 PM CST
-Messaging goes wonky when parrying with a worn parry stick. It gives a blank space instead of saying what I'm trying to use to parry. It goes back to normal if I hold the stick.

* Moving with incredible power and control, a Dragon Priest assassin slices wide at you. You badly fail to parry with . The dagger lands a light hit that etches a light cut into the right side of the chest.
[You're beat up, solidly balanced with opponent in very strong position.]

-Not sure if you're expecting it to have been fixed yet or not, but in case you were Plate Armor still doesn't gain experience.

-Damage is probably pretty close to where it needs to be against at-level opponents. Two "roughly equal" opponents attacking for a while are inflicting considerable damage, but not at an alarming rate. This is coming from someone who expects to be able to heal himself along the way, though, so it might be a touch high for others...hard to say.

-Going armorless hurts more (duh), but isn't an immediate death sentence (again, two roughly equal opponents). This felt pretty good. 75 stamina.

-Any armor I put on leaves me with "insignificant" overall hindrance based on the appraisal. Even a crossing chain hauberk (great hindrance) with 75 ranks in chain armor (712 evasion).

-The Crossing hauberk with 75 ranks didn't leave me taking much more damage than a Knife Clan reinforced cuirbouilli coat with 588 ranks. Damage did seem to escalate faster as my vitality dropped though, so maybe I was just getting lucky in the beginning.

-Shield messaging is slightly off on the "You barely fail to block..." message. It leaves out the word "a", as shown below:

* Driving in like the irresistable force of a cyclone, a Dragon Priest assassin feints low at you. You barely fail to block with gargoyle-hide shield. The dagger lands a light hit to your right arm.
[You're hurt, solidly balanced with opponent dominating.]
Your base defense is roughly equal to your opponent's base offense.

-Damage felt a bit high being attacked by an opponent against whom I'm "vastly inferior" (they appraise as challenging...you'd think there would be something between "roughly equal" and "vastly inferior"). It wiped out my plate-clad chest (great/extreme against slice) from deep slashes in one blow with its heavy slice sword. My vitality was "in extremely bad shape" at the time. It would be preferable if things tended more toward vitality death rather than bodily destruction, so that the dying state comes into play almost all the time.

That's about all I've got for the moment. Overall things look to be in pretty decent shape.

Thanks,
-Life Sustainer Karthor
Re: Combat 3.0 Testing 3/8/12 03/08/2012 10:50 PM CST
I didn't do very much defensive testing because I somehow reverted to only 5 ranks in Defending, which probably was a good reason for the quick beatings I took against anything within 300 ranks of "at level."

*Crossbow damage, at least LX, seems unchanged and just as poor. I get nothing but glancing or an occasional light hit, even if I move from elder armadillos down to bristleback peccs. Paste below with appraisals and messaging for a southern barricade celp.

Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with a layered tei'oloh crossbow with a silk-wrapped witchclaw stock, you are certain that the asaren celpeze is something that you could tear to shreds.

Looking as if this were a bad idea, you fire a steel-tipped pulzone at an asaren celpeze. An asaren celpeze fails to dodge, the blow brushing it.
The pulzone lands a brushing hit to the celpeze's left leg.
The steel-tipped pulzone falls to the ground!
[You're solidly balanced and have slight advantage.]
[Roundtime 1 sec.]
Your base offense is vastly inferior to your opponent's base defense.

That's just under 700 LX and 99 agility. In contrast, I was able to kill southern barricade celps with 2HB and 2HE (low-mid 600s) at an acceptable pace with acceptable messaging (ranged from Good hits to a couple Very Heavy). If my at level hunting went like my southern barricade celp hunting, minus the LX problems, I would feel better about it.

*Melee combos feel a lot better all around in terms of timing, balance, and fatigue. Damage just still needs heavy, heavy increases at the top end in my opinion. And light crossbow is obviously wonky.

*I didn't notice any differences to critter offensive appraisal when I took off my armor. I don't know if it's supposed to be that way or not.
Re: Combat 3.0 Testing 3/8/12 03/09/2012 12:54 AM CST
ok, managed to get over there and test a little.

results as follows:
with the caveat that some are skewed because i don't have the same armor peripheals in test as i do in my home instance. In plat i have capped <at least in the old system> firecat leathers, with festival varigated LC on head and hands. In test from my prime character i have again, capped firecat leathers, but cloth peripheals>.

this is with 396 leather, 374 defending, 489 evasion vs. young gryphons <west of shard if it matters>, necromancer character.

Messaging remained the same whether armor was on or off. "your base defense is roughly equal to your opponents base offense". I tried a few different combat moves, just the base attack at first, jab/ slice/ chop <i use a bastard sword in 2he mode, also a scim for small weapons, which in test are around the same rank <300s>.

One-on-one vs critter having armor on or off made absolutely no difference. Started getting hurt a little with 2, when 3 or 4 opponents lined up, got beat up. This is with 374 defending <where multi used to be i guess>. Wasn't able to test what I'd usually do in a non-armor situation because magic isn't on, so no calcified hide 4 me. :-(.

The messaging however remained the same "base defense vs base offense" though whether i was wearing armor or not, and also remained the same whether i had 1 opponent or 4.

"we're doing it for the good of mankind," said the philosophers of murder, waiting for the rest of the world to congratulate them"-Elie Wiesel <the gates of the forest>
Re: Combat 3.0 Testing 3/8/12 03/09/2012 04:43 AM CST
Agree on the weak damage. I couldn't get anything above grazing/light hits on young gryphons with throwing blades with well over 900 ranks.

~Leilond
Re: Combat 3.0 Testing 3/8/12 03/09/2012 08:53 AM CST
Might just be thrown weapons. I was getting/giving good hits with lower celps with weapons in the 500s.
Re: Combat 3.0 Testing 3/8/12 03/13/2012 08:04 AM CDT
I did some playing around with combat this morning. I only got as far as testing with my standard armor and weapon. Offensive damage seemed okay, however, one thing I noticed was I wasn't learning much defensively. I was testing in sky giants with my paladin Belea. Skills as follows:

Shield: 631 (got to thoughtful with three or four in melee for several minutes)
Brigandine: 291 (attentive)
Plate Armor: 564 (clear)
Defending: 447 (attentive)
Evasion: 477 (interested)
Parry: 496 (dabbling)
Small edge: 537 (absorbing)

One major observation: It looks like HP is calculating as Brigandine rather than Plate Armor? My plate armor was clear, and brig wasn't, and I think that would account for a bunch of the damage I was receiving?

Shield - my primary stance is with Shield at 100. I was blocking, but the experience wasn't showing (unless I've hit the cap for sky giants, which IIRC is closer to 700?).

Finally, can we get a character refresh? I'm about 7 or so circles lower in test, which is a difference of a good chunk of skills in the 120-130 circle range. Being more in line with what i'm used to will definitely help make good comparisons between old and new.

Thanks!

You say, "Tada."

WHAM
A sudden burst of oily smelling air strikes you in the face.
Combat 3.0 Testing 03/13/2012 10:10 AM CDT
I wasn't able to land over light/good when hunting baby/fledgling gryphons with a generic hand axe and 230 LE. These are at-level for me (as far as I'm aware), so I'm surprised it's so hard to really kill them.
Re: Combat 3.0 Testing 3/8/12 03/13/2012 10:48 AM CDT
Also, to clarify - I was wearing forged field plate from the old system, a HP helm, HC greaves, and HP gauntlets.

You say, "Tada."

WHAM
Re: Combat 3.0 Testing 3/8/12 03/13/2012 11:42 AM CDT

Old light plate is actually brigandine in the new system. A bit confusing, but a necessary change to get things oriented correctly. I am thinking your field plate might have been light plate? How does the armor appraise?

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Combat 3.0 Testing 3/8/12 03/13/2012 12:25 PM CDT
It's HP in Prime, appraises as Plate Armor in test:
Prime:
You get a set of highly articulated steel plate crowned with intricate roaring lion pauldrons from inside a secure vault.
>app my plate careful
The steel plate is heavy plate.

The plate looks like it offers protection for the following areas:

right arm
left arm
chest
abdomen
back

Test:
!>app pla
The steel plate is plate armor.

The plate looks like it offers protection for the following areas:

right arm
left arm
chest
abdomen
back

You say, "Tada."

WHAM
Re: Combat 3.0 Testing 3/8/12 03/13/2012 06:17 PM CDT
Ahh ok, I wasn't sure if the field plate was perhaps acting as brig. I'll take a peek.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Combat 3.0 Testing 3/8/12 03/16/2012 03:31 PM CDT
Welp, was hoping to test a little more this morning. Since down for internal testing, here are some things I noticed.

--Learning armor at ranks below 100 was really, really hard to just about impossible.
--Defending is way to easy to learn.
--The differences in damage types seemed fine at the lower level. I had trouble seeing any worthwhile damage change when I was hunting gryphons. Jab and slice seemed about the same, chop gave barely a bit more. Held for other damage types too. Though I want to test with different critter.
--Fatigue seems off. If I just use jab, I would slowly being losing fatigue. If I used slice, fatigue remained about the same. With chop, I seemed to be gaining fatigue back.
--Using chop does not always seem to hamper your balance. There were times when I could use it a few times in a row and still be at one of the top two balance states.

Abison/Rystien
Re: Combat 3.0 Testing 3/8/12 03/21/2012 02:50 PM CDT
Heyo!

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to this. I have been extremely sick the past couple of weeks, and am just now getting back to a state where I can focus clearly. I will be reviewing and updating some of the damage over the next few days, but don't expect a lot of very heavy hits "at level" -- the entire notion of being "at level" is that the fight is reasonably evenly matched, and in that case it shouldn't be something where serious damage is being tossed about. With that said, we obviously don't want it being something that drags on forever either.

Experience gain is the very last thing I intend to address, so please do not worry too much if it seems high or low -- it will be changing once I'm sure combat itself is working at a reasonable level. Since my intent is to revamp experience to be based more on the skill contests involved and the time required launch attacks (instead of being primarily damage-based as it is now), I really can't set any of that until everything else is where it needs to be.

In response to one post -- I will definitely be tweaking the way damage goes to body parts vs vitality, but I want to get to a comfortable base damage level first so that I don't have to rescale in multiple places.

- GM Dartenian

Though my soul may set in darkness it will rise in perfect light. I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night! - Sarah Williams
Re: Combat 3.0 Testing 3/8/12 03/21/2012 03:04 PM CDT
>>I will be reviewing and updating some of the damage over the next few days, but don't expect a lot of very heavy hits "at level" -- the entire notion of being "at level" is that the fight is reasonably evenly matched, and in that case it shouldn't be something where serious damage is being tossed about. With that said, we obviously don't want it being something that drags on forever either.

What's the duration you're aiming for? I totally see that the 5-15 second fights that go on now is way too low, but what's the new optimum fight speed?

Is a lot of light/good hits intended, then? If that's the case, I'd propose renaming the damage levels just so there's a bit more variety.

hypocrite, thy name is teveshszat, and i just hope i'm there to see you when you're broght down. - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Combat 3.0 Testing 3/8/12 03/21/2012 03:14 PM CDT
When adding duration to combat I pictured what might now take 3 swings maybe... taking 6. Still quite a bit from that, but things are looking better tho!
Re: Combat 3.0 Testing 3/8/12 03/21/2012 07:57 PM CDT
>>but don't expect a lot of very heavy hits "at level"

What about for things you completely and utterly outclass? Like baby gryphons, and my light thrown. In the test instance my character has well over 900 ranks in LT and yet only lands glancing/grazing strikes with throwing blades. I believe baby gryphons are sub 300 ranks in combat skill.

~Leilond