Newbie observation 02/09/2012 11:15 AM CST
Tried some combat with a circle 1 character in rats.

With agility at 15 and reflexes at 12. Learning weapon was easy and hits were good. Defense on the other hand......

If I set stance 0evasion/80shield/100parry I was not getting hit at all(all messaging was dodge but know that is just not in yet). Thing is that I was not learning any skill at all in evasion, shield, parry or any armors. Defending was moving though. At stance 10evasion/90shield/80parry it was the same thing.

Now moving stance to 60evasion/60shield/60parry and I started to learn defenses. I about 15 minutes evasion 16/34, shield 4/34, parry 5/34, light armor 2/34, chain armor 2/34. Not so great except for evasion. When I started my ranks were evasion 5, shield 3, parry 0. Ended with evasion 8, shield 5, parry 4.

Oh and tried hogs, they just owned me.

Abison/Rystien
Re: Newbie observation 02/09/2012 11:42 AM CST
<<If I set stance 0evasion/80shield/100parry I was not getting hit at all(all messaging was dodge but know that is just not in yet). Thing is that I was not learning any skill at all in evasion, shield, parry or any armors. Defending was moving though. At stance 10evasion/90shield/80parry it was the same thing.>>

This goes back a long ways, but I seem to recall there being a certain stance threshold where you have to be above a certain percentage to gain experience in that skill. I want to say it was 20%, but I'm not sure. There's also a bug in Test where your evasion stance has to be high enough to warrant experience gain in order for you to gain experience in either Shield or Parry. Dart was going to look into this last night, but my connection died shortly after he said that so I have no idea what came of it (I only noticed it at 0% evasion, but didn't look deeper into it than that).

So assuming I'm not imagining the minimum stance setting for experience gain and 10% isn't high enough to gain experience, this coupled with the aforementioned bug could explain why you weren't learning anything; it isn't explicitly a low-level thing.

Thanks,
-Life Sustainer Karthor
Re: Newbie observation 02/09/2012 12:30 PM CST
>So assuming I'm not imagining the minimum stance setting for experience gain and 10% isn't high enough to gain experience, this coupled with the aforementioned bug could explain why you weren't learning anything; it isn't explicitly a low-level thing.

I'd say it's still odd that in 60/60/60 the learning rates were so tilted. Hey, Abison/Rystien, what guild was this character? Different learning rates might have an extreme impact that low (though in Prime I'm able to train just fine most of the time in rats). And did you ever learn any armor?

Elemental Lord Opieus, Expert Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer