ambush verb 02/07/2012 07:28 PM CST
is not working altogether

as a thief character, i can type ambush help and get all of the standard messaging, but i cannot ambush in combat, it returns a blank screen.

Preces meae non sunt dignae;Sed tu bonus fac benigne;Ne perenni cremer igne [Dies Irae]
Re: ambush verb 02/07/2012 11:29 PM CST
ok, working now. But question for you -- based on this:

<<They do need to be addressed, but they are outside the scope of Combat 3.0. On the other hand, any melee or missile attack will be part of Combat 3.0, so yes, backstab, ambush, poach, and snipe will ultimately fall under the Combat 3.0 mechanics, just like they ultimately run through the current combat mechanics now. At the present time, I'm not really planning to change anything other than making sure they remain compatible and playable with the new Combat 3.0 mechanics, so ideally they should still work roughly like they do now.>>

with ambush, i noticed that when i ambushed with Scim or bastard sword in hand, it defauoted to "slice", and with a blunt in hand it defaults to "sweep".

Will we be able to select the type of weapon attack when ambushing, when not using a "special" ambush attack?

Preces meae non sunt dignae;Sed tu bonus fac benigne;Ne perenni cremer igne [Dies Irae]
Re: ambush verb 02/08/2012 08:15 AM CST
>>Will we be able to select the type of weapon attack when ambushing, when not using a "special" ambush attack?

Doesn't any normal attack done in hiding turn into an ambush attack of that type?

So instead of typing AMBUSH, if you type THRUST from hiding you do an ambushed thrust. I thought AMBUSH by itself was essentially made redundant and unnecessary due to any move done in hiding turning into the ambush version of that attack.
Re: ambush verb 02/08/2012 08:43 AM CST
Let me explain a little better:

tested in prime vs in test:

when I type AMBUSH with a stabbity type weapon from hiding, under the old combat system <prime> I get a variation of attacks. Lunge, thrust, feint.

When I type AMBUSH with a blunt type weapon from hiding under the old combat system <prime> I also get a variation of types of attack.

When I type ambush with a slicer type weapon from hiding under the old combat system <prime> I also get a varition of different types of attack.

However, when i type AMBUSH when in test, with a blunt, I ONLY get "swing".
Same thing with slicers, I ONLY got "slice".

if I attempt any other type of ambush, say, Ambush Jab, I get messaging that I can't do that because I can only either type Ambush, ambush stun, ambush screen,ambush slash, ambush clout, etc.

Re: ambush verb 02/08/2012 09:29 AM CST
>>if I attempt any other type of ambush, say, Ambush Jab, I get messaging that I can't do that because I can only either type Ambush, ambush stun, ambush screen,ambush slash, ambush clout, etc.

I don't know what you are even trying? Are you typing AMBUSH JAB?? If that is so, both in prime and test I get:

"It is no longer necessary to use the AMBUSH verb to perform most attacks from a concealed state. Please type 'AMBUSH HELP' for more details."

You have to use either AMBUSH by itself or a combat move like JAB or SLIC. As to why you are only getting slice or swing, its because combos are gone in combat 3.0. Using AMBUSH will have you do a combat move that is neutral or positive for balance(maybe just neutral ones). In the old system that would require different moves, while in the new system its going to be one of just a few moves. Slice and swing are neutral balance wise in new system, while sweep and lunge are negative balance ones.

Abison/Rystien
Re: ambush verb 02/08/2012 02:31 PM CST
>>when I type AMBUSH with a stabbity type weapon from hiding, under the old combat system <prime> I get a variation of attacks. Lunge, thrust, feint.

That's because AMBUSH in prime works like ATTACK in prime: it is invoking a preset combo that works well for that weapon.

In 3.0, which is in test, AMBUSH works like ATTACK works in test: it is invoking a preset action that is performed each time, as there are no such thing as preset combos in a 3.0 world.

It would not surprise me if the attack you do via AMBUSH is the same attack you do via ATTACK, and that if you use ATTACK from hiding you perform the same actions as if you were to use AMBUSH from hiding.

If you want to do different ambush attacks via hiding, your best bet would be to take advantage of the numerous combat choices available in 3.0 which all have different positives and negatives, as doing them while in hiding should perform an ambush attack, which as far as I know is exactly how they currently work in 2.0