1/9 Testing Notes 01/09/2012 09:35 PM CST
My general notes from testing this evening are below. If there's a better way for feedback, please let me know. A couple bulletpoints then I'll paste some excerpts of specific things.

*Last plan I heard was that escaping climbing and swimming would merge to athletics. I had assumed the highest of these three would govern, but it appears escaping, if higher, does not govern. That makes me sad. Hopefully that's a bug.

*For whatever reason, Traim ended up with only 13 ranks of Defending when the switch over happened. I'm not sure what is supposed to port over into that skill, but he has many hundreds in almost all armors, and I think 650+ MO on that version of the character.

*Crossbow roundtime remains the same. This is extremely problematic for me given the exceptionally poor performance of the weapon even below level (see below).

*The combat command JAB seemed to be particularly powerful in the three natural critters I could hunt and hit (juvenile armadillos, bristleback peccs, and caracals).

*Astrology did not port over. I had 0 astrology.

*Defense vs multiple creatures has clearly gotten much, much, much harder. I don't know what to say about this until the offensive calcs, damage, and spawn is adjusted. .

*730 LC was "locking" in bristleback peccs.

*Armor is clearly much, much more important, but at the armadillo level, it appears to be considerably more important than combat skills. I stanced everything down to 0, and 4 juvenile armadillos were getting consistent brush/grazing/light hits. I took off the armor (LC shirt, HC gloves, leather cowl, cloth pants) and died in two hits. Along these same lines, in terms of defensive scaling, the bristleback peccaries were landing occasional hits on Traim (950 evasion and high 700s shield on this version):

* Moving in like a timid schoolboy, a juvenile desert armadillo slashes fiercely at you. You dodge, stumbling strangely.
The sharp claws lands a hard hit (5/22) that bites deeply into the fleshy part of the cheek, stunning you.
[You're terribly wounded, very badly balanced with opponent dominating.]
Your base defense is vastly inferior to your oppoent's base offense.

* Looking as if this were a bad idea, a juvenile desert armadillo lurches forward and slashes at you. You dodge, sneezing at an awkward moment.
The sharp claws lands an extremely heavy hit (9/22) that explodes the heart and lungs with a bone-shattering blow to the chest.
Your leather shield falls to the ground.

*There are no parry or block messages on the character side for defending.

*When you "search" after already having spot effect on something, they don't show up in the Search messaging:

The dim illumination of the night reveals a sea of gentle dunes rippling into the distance. Shadowed troughs and highlighted dune crests mingle teasingly across the desert bed, relieving its otherwise stark emptiness.
You also see a shimmering oasis, a juvenile desert armadillo that is trying to remain hidden and a juvenile desert armadillo.
Obvious paths: north, northeast, south, southwest.
> sear
You search around for a moment.
Roundtime: 3 sec.
You don't find anything of interest here.
R>

*My at level creature in Prime, elder armadillos, ate me alive. I could stand with them until there were several, but any attempt to attack (all whiffs) started to get me beat up. I couldn't even retreat from one (and note bug on the "feint draw" command:

* In a weak and directionless display of aggression, an elder desert armadillo growls lowly and swings at you. You dodge.
[You're solidly balanced with no advantage.]
Your base defense is roughly equal to your oppoent's base offense.

R> feint draw
Your .

*LX was awful, everywhere. It took multiple multiple shots to kill caracals with skill in this version of high 600s. Appraisal on elders, which I could not hit at all, with any aim or poach:

You are certain that the desert armadillo is healthy.
You are certain that the desert armadillo is slightly fatigued.
You are certain that it is rather less agile than you are.
You are certain that it is rather less quick to react than you are.
You are certain that it is somewhat stronger than you are.
Taking stock of its offensive abilities, and defending with a layered tei'oloh crossbow with a silk-wrapped witchclaw stock and wearing a shield sable bearing a tower argent, you are certain that the desert armadillo is a slightly less skilled opponent.
Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with a layered tei'oloh crossbow with a silk-wrapped witchclaw stock, you are certain that the desert armadillo is a worthy opponent.

*I did no better at melee:

You are certain that the desert armadillo is healthy.
You are certain that the desert armadillo is slightly fatigued.
You are certain that it is rather less agile than you are.
You are certain that it is rather less quick to react than you are.
You are certain that it is somewhat stronger than you are.
Taking stock of its offensive abilities, and defending with a bastard sword and wearing a shield sable bearing a tower argent, you are certain that the desert armadillo is a slightly less skilled opponent.
Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with a bastard sword, you are certain that the desert armadillo is a difficult opponent.

*Juvenile armadillos were also not killable for me with crossbow, or blade, mid to high 600s in both in this version.

*See typos in the following messaging (rewritten in CAPS):

Just as you move to fire, The desert armadillo notices your poaching attempt!
< Moving as one fluid extension of power, you SHIELD a steel-tipped pulzone at a juvenile desert armadillo. A juvenile desert armadillo fails to dodge, twisting partially away from much of the blow.
The pulzone lands a brushing strike to the armadillo's neck.
The steel-tipped pulzone falls to the ground!

> chop (with a bastard sword)

< Apparently without direction or thought and clearly outmaneuvered, you FISTS at a juvenile desert armadillo. A juvenile desert armadillo attempts to dodge, avoiding most of the blow.
The FISTS lands a harmless strike to the armadillo's chest.
[You're slightly off balance and in superior position.]

< Driving in with naturally fluid movements, you ANKLE DEEP at a bristle-backed peccary. A bristle-backed peccary attempts to evade, mis-stepping and blundering into the blow.
The pulzone lands a solid hit (4/22) that tears a small piece of skin from the left calf.

The steel-tipped pulzone lodges itself shallowly into the bristle-backed peccary!
[You're solidly balanced with no advantage.]
[Roundtime 1 sec.]
Your base offense is vastly inferior to your opponent's base defense. (note this messaging despite high 600s crossbow vs peccary).