How long should at level combat be? 09/11/2011 08:58 PM CDT
Right now I've focused more on logging what come off as clear system bugs, as opposed to things like "boy this sure doesn't seem like it should take this long," but...

Boy, combat sure doesn't seem like it should take this long.

Unless I grossly outclass something (that is wearing so-so armor), it seems to take forever to kill something. Hunting mobs which are at level (combats in the 200-250 range) tend to involve nothing but light hits, at best, and it just seems... off.

But I don't want to start really overly stressing that as a problem (and collecting data on it) if the actual "how fast combat should last" stuff is still being adjusted and not really meant to be fully tested yet.
Re: How long should at level combat be? 09/11/2011 10:00 PM CDT
I have to agree, particularly in the very low end.

I took a character straight from the char manager, joined the traders guild, and headed to ship rats. She could not kill a ship rat, nor did she learn any weapon skill <she had the character manager rapier. All the stats i trained on her were 2 of intel and 2 of wisdom so she could join the traders. otherwise straight out of cm stats:

S'kra Mur

Strength : 12 Reflex : 12
Agility : 10 Charisma : 10
Discipline : 10 Wisdom : 10
Intelligence : 10 Stamina : 10

plus she was getting a 9 second RT using "attack" on the rat with the rapier.

Explore the Final Frontier - the unknown calls
Re: How long should at level combat be? 09/11/2011 11:56 PM CDT
Kinda how I feel. I don't really think combat should get much slower than it is now. As it is, I can see myself just targeting the chest, abdomen or back to kill faster.
Re: How long should at level combat be? 09/12/2011 12:13 AM CDT
Definately needs an adjustment on the low end.

Could not learn weapon skill on newbie trader in frogs. Which is the lowest critter in the game.

Tried with a scim <formerly ME>, and a katar, which are both small edged.

Only weapon I could "learn" was brawling, and that was by doing non-damaging moves. <circle, bob, weave>

Circle: 1
Showing Weapon skills regardless of rank.

SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning/Mindstate Fraction
Parry Ability: 6 88% clear (0/34) Small Edged: 0 00% clear (0/34)
Large Edged: 0 00% clear (0/34) Twohanded Edged: 0 00% clear (0/34)
Small Blunt: 0 00% clear (0/34) Large Blunt: 0 00% clear (0/34)
Twohanded Blunt: 0 00% clear (0/34) Slings: 0 00% clear (0/34)
Bow: 0 00% clear (0/34) Crossbow: 0 00% clear (0/34)
Staves: 0 00% clear (0/34) Polearms: 0 00% clear (0/34)
Light Thrown: 0 00% clear (0/34) Heavy Thrown: 0 00% clear (0/34)
Brawling: 0 08% clear (0/34) Offhand Weapon: 0 00% clear (0/34)
Melee Mastery: 0 00% clear (0/34) Missile Mastery: 0 00% clear (0/34)

Re: How long should at level combat be? 09/12/2011 10:48 AM CDT
The issue with your new Trader isn't new. It's the same thing we talked about in Plat months ago. With 0 skill you don't learn.
Re: How long should at level combat be? 09/12/2011 12:13 PM CDT
i've rolled up commoners in plat with zero skill and had them learn. so i think this is related to the new combat.

Re: How long should at level combat be? 09/12/2011 12:17 PM CDT
I think there's a problem with getting any kind of defensive skill gain right now, and it just hurts you even more when you have 0 in a skill.

For what it's worth, when I swapped out the junk weapon my Commoner in Test started with for a quarterstaff from the veteran, she started doing awesome in rats.

No real defensive skill gains in terms of parry/evasion/shield, though. She was able to start killing rats, at least.