How I Understood Attacks in 3.0 09/07/2011 01:25 PM CDT
Ok, maybe not everything is settled in Test yet and if so then you can totally disregard this post.

But assuming the present attack RT and stuff is how you've intentionally designed the system I have to say this is not how I understood your post about Combat 3.0

Some of my other friends have commented on how crazy slow the RTs are now. I understand you're trying to slow down combat but I do not think raising the RTs is the right solution.

From your post,

Each attack type also has an optimal roundtime. While players can and will be able to reduce their roundtimes as they gain skill and increase stats, attacking faster than the optimal roundtime increases the chances of losing balance. To maintain or build balance, players will need to deliberately do so by either slowing down a little and/or choosing more balance-friendly attacks (or via special abilities, spells, etc)

My comprehension of this post is that there would be an 'optimum RT' that would be ideal for you to wait for, but that the weapons would retain their present(more or less) low RT values.

So using a slice with a Medium Edge weapon would be 2 seconds and you could do stuff after that RT was done, but say that Medium Edge weapon's 'optimum RT' on slice is 4 seconds, so unless you waited for 2 additional seconds(2 initial + 2 waiting) before attacking again you'd suffer a slight balance loss or wouldn't gain as much balance on the next attack or whatever since you didn't wait long enough before attacking again.

~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: How I Understood Attacks in 3.0 09/07/2011 01:48 PM CDT
It's definitely hard to judge, especially when I'm not even sure what I'm looking for. Like I got 8+ seconds for every brawling move I did yesterday, but was that the intended result or because of how buggy things were, you know? But considering nothing I did would change my last maneuver from dodge or do more than grazing damage..yeah. Figuring we should just report the "issues" we find as if they were all bugs, and see what comes back as "nope, that was intended." Since we won't get to see the real system til all the bugs are squashed anyway.

Don't ask me, though. I'm no good at really testing things. Just breaking them.
Re: How I Understood Attacks in 3.0 09/07/2011 02:59 PM CDT
There are things I REALLY don't like. I fired a dual loaded bow with a 7-8 second round time after the shot. Why would it take me 7-8 seconds to let go of the bow string? Factor in 5 seconds for load, 6 for full aim and then 7-8 to fire and each shot takes 18-19 seconds. I was just using 2HE. It took 350 seconds to kill a single assassin. The fight brought me from full stamina to sub 30% and I got to 6/34.
Re: How I Understood Attacks in 3.0 09/07/2011 03:18 PM CDT
I'm sorry I didn't mean to start a complain fest! Let's please give the red names a chance to say 'Yay' or 'Nay' on the RT issue before pitching a fit--For all we know the values just haven't been aligned correctly or something :P

~Leilond
Re: How I Understood Attacks in 3.0 09/08/2011 09:42 AM CDT
> I fired a dual loaded bow with a 7-8 second round time after the shot.

Just for the record, I haven't done any updates whatsoever to fired weapon combat in the Test instance yet, except in terms of the hit/miss calculations and resulting damage. It is very likely (as in pretty much guaranteed) that any roundtime changes for weapons that use the FIRE verb are a bug, and I'll deal with it when I have a chance, but it isn't going to be a high priority since I still need to redo FIRE completely. I might stumble across the problem before then, of course. I do promise it won't go live this way!

- GM Dartenian

Though my soul may set in darkness it will rise in perfect light. I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night! - Sarah Williams
Re: How I Understood Attacks in 3.0 09/08/2011 10:03 AM CDT
Thanks Dart! Glad to hear it'll be a squashed bug. I'll add it onto the list then on the site Socharis set up.
Re: How I Understood Attacks in 3.0 09/10/2011 11:59 PM CDT
>So using a slice with a Medium Edge weapon would be 2 seconds and you could do stuff after that RT was done, but say that Medium Edge weapon's 'optimum RT' on slice is 4 seconds, so unless you waited for 2 additional seconds(2 initial + 2 waiting) before attacking again you'd suffer a slight balance loss or wouldn't gain as much balance on the next attack or whatever since you didn't wait long enough before attacking again. ~Leilond

I think having an abstract ideal “wait” time is an awful idea personally. To me the point of RT is to tell you when you can attack again, not just be a time that you can’t attack. To me what you’re wanting is pretty much saying we need to now, as players, count in our head with every attack in a game we type in. If this were a console game with an attack button and we were timing with an animation on the screen, then that would be well and good. However this is a text RPG where you can’t see anything, and I personally don’t want to go “slice”, wait for the RT and go 1.. 2.. “slice”.

Also, I do think that 2 seconds would be a good minimum for actions. I think attacking executing every second is a little much, but I also think 7 seconds is a little, ok, way too much. I could see maybe 2/3 for LE, 3/4 for ME, and 3/5 for HE/2HE would be reasonable. Maybe that’s my opinion.

-Dek

"That's what she said."
No..
"...That's what Leilond said."

Total Ranks Displayed: 1337
Re: How I Understood Attacks in 3.0 09/11/2011 12:34 AM CDT
>>To me the point of RT is to tell you when you can attack again, not just be a time that you can’t attack.

RT is the time it takes for you to perform an attack, yes; however it isn't necessarily the minimum amount of time you should wait before performing another attack.

Imagine if you will back when starting out as a fresh new character. Back then you wouldn't attack over and over because you would drain your fatigue down to 0 quickly. This new system is a parallel, kind of like a second limiter to how fast you can attack successfully. Having the shorter real RTs would give the players more flexibility of being able to perform other RT-based actions which aren't necessarily attacks.

>>To me what you’re wanting is pretty much saying we need to now, as players, count in our head with every attack in a game we type in. If this were a console game with an attack button and we were timing with an animation on the screen, then that would be well and good. However this is a text RPG where you can’t see anything, and I personally don’t want to go “slice”, wait for the RT and go 1.. 2.. “slice”.

It probably doesn't have to be so exact as that. You could just wait for a bit of time and then slice again--I think you're trying to micro-manage too much if you're actually counting inside of your head waiting for the time to pass so precisely. Anyway, slicing straight again after the RT probably won't ruin your balance anyway. It's probably more of a case of, "Oh, my balance is getting low. Maybe I should slow things down and possibly enter into a dodge stance."

~Leilond