Newb Test 08/23/2009 08:47 AM CDT

I rolled up a newb in test to check the brawling learning rate.

Human, no guild, 0 skills, no extra TDPs...10's across the board, with a LC shirt and a scimitar.

Put him on a brawling script with consisted of a simple circle, bob, weave, repeat.

Put him in this stance:
You are currently using 100% of your evasion skill.
You are currently using 75% of your weapon parry skill.
You are currently using 5% of your shield block skill.
You are attacking with 100% of your offensive skill.

With four at melee constantly, it took 15 minutes to gain one rank of brawling, never moved past dabbling, and this is what the rest of the skills looked like at that mark, all started from 0:

Circle: 0
Showing all skills with field experience.

SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning/Mindstate Fraction
Light Chain: 2 49% very focused (21/34) Parry Ability: 2 66% very riveted (29/34)
Multi Opponent: 2 49% engrossed (27/34) Medium Edged: 2 47% perusing (2/34)
Brawling: 1 19% dabbling (1/34) Evasion: 2 36% mind lock (34/34)

Is there some reason that brawling doesn't/shouldn't move along better as well? I gained two ranks of ME by simply holding the scimitar and parrying while brawling. And with a newb right outta the box, with 0 skills and four rats at melee, I would think the brawling would move better than this.....unless I just don't understand brawling.
Re: Newb Test 08/23/2009 11:42 AM CDT
>>Is there some reason that brawling doesn't/shouldn't move along better as well? I gained two ranks of ME by simply holding the scimitar and parrying while brawling. And with a newb right outta the box, with 0 skills and four rats at melee, I would think the brawling would move better than this.....unless I just don't understand brawling.

circle, bob, weave, repeat is a pretty crappy combo for (novice level) learning. It doesn't work well until much later. If you are not an empath just go with ATTACK or an aggressive combination of your choice.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: Newb Test 08/23/2009 12:28 PM CDT
I can agree, I have never had much sucess with "circle, bob, weave" under 50 ranks.

Nikpack

The gods are jerks. No, really.
-Armifer
Re: Newb Test 08/24/2009 09:28 AM CDT
Ditto the previous posters. Did you every try attacking?
Re: Newb Test 09/03/2009 03:24 PM CDT
I've recently rolled up a noob, and noticed the same thing. Through goblins I was unable to get brawling over dabbling, even running a brawling script for a solid hour, pausing for 8 seconds every 75 seconds to Hunt.

I brought him to the undead mutts and peons south of kaerna and ran the same script and learned brawling very well. I'll take him into eels tonight and test it, but I assume I'll be able to learn there. What this means, I don't know, but it seems there's a base defensive rank of the creature before brawling will start moving decently via non-damaging maneuvers.

On a side note, parry sucks horribly - read: doesn't work at all - at low ranks.