Guards at the Gates 02/25/2011 01:27 PM CST
Sorry if this is a repeat request/question... I don't get to this folder too often.

Would it make sense for someone of some authority to be overseeing people who come in and out of town by standing on guard at the open town gates instead of wandering about the area?

Recently I was in a city and a known necromancer walked past me (guarded stance of course)so I figured the best course of action was to find a nearby guard and accuse them. I went to several guardsmen and none of them had noticed the person in town. Really??? So I thought, how about putting a guard at the open city/town gates that would make things easier for us gods-fearing, law obiding folk to do the right thing. If the necro has a way of sneaking past that guard, great! If not, wouldn't it be logical that we could point out that a person that had just walked past them was a necromancer?

Would this be considered "unfair"? Is it game-mechanically possible?

V2
Re: Guards at the Gates 02/26/2011 08:50 PM CST
This exists exactly as you describe it in Shard.
Re: Guards at the Gates 02/27/2011 05:07 PM CST
Alternatively it'd be nice to have a form of contact that allowed Thieves to accuse necromancers (since talking to guards is generally a bad idea for Thieves).

<Insert Reply saying to just kill them>

Yea...Kill a guarded Necromancer and deal with a report/assist, no thanks.
Re: Guards at the Gates 03/02/2011 04:31 PM CST
Yes it would be, nice. But we're not supposed to be a guild and we aren't supposed to follow a code so whatever.

[Aside: Yes, I am a little jaded. I have requested this on and off again for I believe well over a year, and maybe I'm losing it. But I don't think I've seen a red-name response.]

Re: Guards at the Gates 03/02/2011 07:11 PM CST
>>Yes it would be, nice. But we're not supposed to be a guild

LOLwhat?
Re: Guards at the Gates 03/03/2011 12:13 PM CST
Thieves having a way to contact report Necromancers sounds awesome if instead of the Hounds catching them, the Thieves do. Same result (dead necromancer), but way more awesome methodology.
Re: Guards at the Gates 03/03/2011 12:19 PM CST
>>Thieves having a way to contact report Necromancers sounds awesome if instead of the Hounds catching them, the Thieves do

Downside being that it accredits them with being associated with mass genocide rooted in paranoia as well as putting the spotlight on the guild.

For every Necromancer killed by the Hounds, it might be safe to assume a few dozen not Necromancers are also being killed, if not more. Not sure if the guild would really want to get themselves associated in that kind of success rate, especially if it is done in a secretive manner as opposed to a very public torching.

"We're not "out to get you," we're here to enhance your playing experience with extreme prejudice.," DR-ARMIFER
Re: Guards at the Gates 03/03/2011 12:52 PM CST
>especially if it is done in a secretive manner as opposed to a very public torching.

All the more reason to not care about a few innocents, IMO.

-Reverend Gidien

"Under the sword lifted high, there is hell making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of bliss."

~Miyamoto Musashi
Re: Guards at the Gates 03/03/2011 01:06 PM CST
>>All the more reason to not care about a few innocents, IMO.

Ehh.. one of the benefits of a nice public Hounding is that there's no wiggle room for why someone was targeted (valid or not): the person is apparently associated with Necromancy and must be purged.

Now, if those purges were private and secretive, no one would know why they were taking place. So guards/etc would be compelled to investigate. That would possibly risk exposing the Thief guild again.

Of course, they could always leave some notice saying that the person was a Necro, hence the sudden case of the secretive deads. But, even then, the lack of a public-frothing-mob-mentality might cause people to really look into what was going on.

That isn't to say having a Thief-style Hounding option shouldn't happen. It' just that, ICly, I question the benefit of risking any kind of heat when they could just as effectively kill accused Necromancers in less risky manners.

"We're not "out to get you," we're here to enhance your playing experience with extreme prejudice.," DR-ARMIFER
Re: Guards at the Gates 03/09/2011 08:39 PM CST
>>Now, if those purges were private and secretive, no one would know why they were taking place. So guards/etc would be compelled to investigate. That would possibly risk exposing the Thief guild again.

No. These are not real-world detectives. If Deathsmith McDoomhand shows up dead in a back alley somewhere, they either a) talk to his ghost if he's not a known necromancer or b) shrug, remove the body to a dumping site outside the city and set it on fire because he's a known necromancer.

That's it.

There is no "oh noes, teh innocents. we think of them as we investigate these happenings thoroughly!" Ilithic guardsmen come the closest and even then it's pretty plain they're not trained investigators.
Re: Guards at the Gates 04/12/2011 08:11 AM CDT
> Recently I was in a city and a known necromancer walked past me (guarded stance of course)so I figured the best course of action was to find a nearby guard and accuse them. I went to several guardsmen and none of them had noticed the person in town. Really??? So I thought, how about putting a guard at the open city/town gates that would make things easier for us gods-fearing, law obiding folk to do the right thing. If the necro has a way of sneaking past that guard, great! If not, wouldn't it be logical that we could point out that a person that had just walked past them was a necromancer?

The system is working as intended. The necromancer either a) left town, b) had been in town so little that there was not "sufficient evidence," or c) had up a short-term buff that makes him count as not in town. If you want to catch a Necromancer, wait for him to be doing something that requires being still for a short bit. There's absolutely nothing that lets a Necromancer hang around in town for more than a minute or two without being easy to accuse.

>
You're not used to life as a fish, are you?