Forbidden practices? 06/20/2012 07:55 AM CDT
Beware Incoming Thread.

Helje
DragonRealms Board Monitor
Forbidden practices? 06/19/2012 05:51 PM CDT
"Burn him! Burn him!" You hear the cries echo around you as everyone in the vicinity suddenly moves away, giving you a wide berth! It goes without saying you'll be wanted for forbidden practices in Crossing now.
You feel staring eyes upon you, and suddenly get the impression that deserved or not, now is going to be a good time to get out of the city quickly. You think anyone manning the city services is quite likely to turn you in, even if the guards don't find you first.

Wondering how a barbarian gets forbidden practices. I'm quite amused. I wasn't wearing the fancy SO-causing necro gear or titles, or consorting with necromancers or sorcerers. I roared in town but got slammed for disturbing the peace. I can't think of anything else I did outside of my normal routine to get charged. Any other ideas?
Re: Forbidden practices? 06/20/2012 08:01 AM CDT

You just posted that you found an entire inventory of someone's gear in beisswurms, might be some SO generating items in the stuff you picked up that you dont realize and someone reported you to the guards? Never know.

-O
Re: Forbidden practices? 06/19/2012 05:54 PM CDT
Also, had a high level MM friend perceive me, didn't see any taint or sorcery spells on me.
Re: Forbidden practices? 06/19/2012 06:06 PM CDT
>>Any other ideas?

What happens if you are successfully (even if wrongfully) accused of Necromancy? Can't say I know much about the system, but you asked for ideas.

~The Prydaen~
Re: Forbidden practices? 06/19/2012 06:23 PM CDT
>What happens if you are successfully (even if wrongfully) accused of Necromancy? Can't say I know much about the system, but you asked for ideas.

See first post. That's what happens.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Forbidden practices? 06/19/2012 06:25 PM CDT
>>What happens if you are successfully (even if wrongfully) accused of Necromancy? Can't say I know much about the system, but you asked for ideas.

Not sure to be honest. I was conflicting with a few people shortly before this occurred, possibly one of them was spam-accusing, if such a thing is possible.
Re: Forbidden practices? 06/19/2012 06:29 PM CDT
>>See first post. That's what happens.

This was my concern when SO was first released: people would get angry and spam-accuse for OOC reasons. I can see a possible justification for it in the game mechanics become of anti-necro mob mentality, but it's annoying that people can exploit the system and lock a non-necro, non-sorcerer out of his vault for OOC reasons.
Re: Forbidden practices? 06/19/2012 07:05 PM CDT
>>This was my concern when SO was first released: people would get angry and spam-accuse for OOC reasons. ..it's annoying that people can exploit the system and lock a non-necro, non-sorcerer out of his vault for OOC reasons.

False accusing non-necro's carries a risk of arrest to prevent spamming it:
http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Accuse

>>First unsuccessful accusation results in the guard issuing a warning to the accuser.
>>Second unsuccessful accusation, whether of the same target or another, within a short amount of time (the timer is extremely random, but always under an hour) results in arresting the accuser for disturbing the peace. This time does not count down if the accuser is logged out.
Re: Forbidden practices? 06/19/2012 07:16 PM CDT
>>Wondering how a barbarian gets forbidden practices.

Anyone can be accused of necromancy. It's just a lot harder for the accusation to stick for a non-Necro.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Forbidden practices? 06/19/2012 09:08 PM CDT
If you're wearing the Necro-skinning-belt-knife thing you accrue SO from that, making the accuse easier.

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: Forbidden practices? 06/19/2012 10:29 PM CDT
>>If you're wearing the Necro-skinning-belt-knife thing you accrue SO from that, making the accuse easier.

The knife is made with metal.
It appears that the knife can be worn on the upper arm.
You are confident that the knife weighs exactly 9 stones.
You are certain that the knife is worth exactly 625 kronars.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Knife%27s_Edge_%282%29

Interesting!

This would be how I was accused, probably.
Re: Forbidden practices? 06/19/2012 10:31 PM CDT
I believe its only the ones that say "death by necromancy", not every one that was sold by the knives' edge.

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: Forbidden practices? 06/19/2012 10:47 PM CDT
>>Interesting!

>>This would be how I was accused, probably.

Seriously? I've sold about 100 of these in my shop over the past year+ That would be a lot of social outrage

Apu
_
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Apu
Re: Forbidden practices? 06/19/2012 10:53 PM CDT
>>Seriously? I've sold about 100 of these in my shop over the past year+ That would be a lot of social outrage

Saw it was a Necro shop, I dumped it just in case. I can't say that's why I was successfully accused. Could just be coincidence.
Re: Forbidden practices? 06/20/2012 12:28 AM CDT
>>Could just be coincidence.

It is.

Social outrage on items is the DR equivalent of running around with a swastika tattooed on your forehead. The items that generate it aren't subtle things that a learned person would understand may have some connection to Necromancy/Philosophers/etc. They're the items that the unwashed masses would acknowledge are for people who are either Necromancers or think Necromancers are awesome or are rather fond of demons.

Just because a random knife is from a Necromancer shop doesn't make it a social outrage item. It would have to be a knife etched with Maelshyvean symbols of worship or a knife that say "NEKROS ARE COOL: ASK ME ABOUT BABY EATING" and so on.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Forbidden practices? 06/20/2012 03:29 AM CDT
the belt knives sold in the necro regular shop are exactly identical to those sold in the survival shop in shard and don't cause SO.

The knife that says "Death by Necromancy" was sold at guildfest and probably causes SO, although it isn't "messaged" to that effect.

there is usually some sort of messaging with items that cause SO. Such as this:
<<This appears to be a dangerous item to be seen in possession of.
You get a death-black shirt embroidered with "I'm a Necromancer" from inside your xxxx.>>

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: Forbidden practices? 06/27/2012 05:48 PM CDT
Back when necromancers came out, one of my chars picked up some SO by asking about necromancy.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Forbidden practices? 06/28/2012 06:44 AM CDT
thats only if you ask a certain NPC, and only if you are a commoner.

You can go ask the cleric guildleaders - or high Priestess Tallis - about necromancy all you want and you won't get social outrage for that. :-) You WILL get a speech about how EVIL it is though! prepare for sermon....

They're the only ones that will actually respond to the question, besides the aforementioned one above, which I won't name because, well, if you think about it awhile, you'll realize why. :-)

/---
Leucius