Ninja Janitor? 02/16/2008 03:00 PM CST
This was going to be a logarific post, but to save the eyes of the young ones, I decided to post it as a summary instead. If anyone wishes, I have logs prepared to post.

I went to see if the new room changes would eat the sack that I keep full of boxes and weapons to keep my encumberance down, so I went to gobs, dropped a sack, and started removing heads. What happened en there brought up a question about junk items.

Killing goblins did result in the normal junk being dropped and placed in the junk pile, but after a few seconds I noticed that this pile disappeared. I killed another goblin and saw the same thing happen.

So I took the next goblin and chopped his hand off, which resulted in him dropping his sword. The sword was classified as junk but didn't disappear. I cleaned the room of goblins, which filled up junk, but after about 30 seconds, all the junk was gone again, save the sword I made it drop.

The last test I did was another room full of goblins, which I searched all at once. I then ran a script that sent "look junk" every second for twenty seconds. The pile slowly lost loot going from:

Junk items in the room: a short sword, a hooded cloak, a target shield, a hooded cloak, a target shield, a short sword, a hooded cloak, a target shield, a short sword, a hooded cloak, a target shield, and a short sword.

And ending up after 20 seconds at:

Junk items in the room: a short sword, a hooded cloak, a target shield, and a short sword.

With more items disappearing every few seconds.

Now, I realize that system resources are important, and that junk is precisely what it says, but does it make sense to get rid of it all that quickly?
Was this just a fluke?
Since there was no messaging, is this something in addition to the janitor, automatic junk clearing?
Re: Ninja Janitor? 02/16/2008 03:03 PM CST
Lockpicks appear to be immune:

Junk items in the room: a short sword, a hooded cloak, a target shield, an ordinary lockpick, and a slim lockpick.
>.repeat l.junk . . .
[Script repeat is running, Esc to cancel, Shift-Esc to pause]
>l junk
>
Junk items in the room: a target shield, an ordinary lockpick, and a slim lockpick.
>l junk
Junk items in the room: an ordinary lockpick and a slim lockpick.
>l junk
Junk items in the room: an ordinary lockpick and a slim lockpick.

---
"Close your eyes -
For your eyes will only tell the truth..
And the truth isn't what you want to see.
In the dark, it is easy to pretend
That the truth is what it ought to be." - Erik Claudin
Re: Ninja Janitor? 02/16/2008 05:47 PM CST
>Lockpicks appear to be immune

While on the subject of lockpicks, I'm seeing alot mor being dropped my critters. I'll come across 20-30 a day while mildly hunting. Seem as though critters have been dropping them much more frequently, and to me, a bit too much. Seems like someone is flooding the market to put the local locksmiths out of business. :-)
Re: Ninja Janitor? 02/16/2008 11:36 PM CST
>>While on the subject of lockpicks, I'm seeing alot mor being dropped my critters.

Ditto. I used to see them on higher critters very rarely (rare enough that it was an Event and I used it to replenish my lockpick store). Now I see so many I don't bother with the one that aren't stout, and I leave some of those, too.

Seriously... we don't need lockpicks, heh. Goblins, woodies, even rockies... sure. But if it's not in P1 or P2, the drop doesn't need to be that high. =P

---
"Close your eyes -
Re: Ninja Janitor? 02/17/2008 01:12 AM CST
Lockpick drop rates aside, is the junk quickly disappearing part of the new room mechanics?
Re: Ninja Janitor? 02/17/2008 09:37 AM CST
>>Lockpick drop rates aside, is the junk quickly disappearing part of the new room mechanics?

Yes. Actually flagged-as-junk stuff works like it always has, but now if you have 50 items on the ground a simple LOOK will call the DUMP JUNK janitor automatically.

In addition, Ssra added some extensibility to the in-LOOK character descriptions to allow the appearance of spell messaging (ie, if you have MoF up, it'd show "Your Name is on fire"). Certain spells will have priority over certain other spells, mostly based on their use (ie, attack spells like MoA will show before a Regenerate does).

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Ninja Janitor? 02/17/2008 10:46 AM CST
I've always noticed it disappearing hugely fast in goblins, more than anywhere else. I'm assuming that's because of the huge spawn rate and the amount of people that hunt there, plus it doesn't give a message about the stuff decaying like in sprites, or being taken by a breeze anymore, it just vanishes. I find it nice for my moon mage using TKT there so she doesn't waste one mana casts trying to fling the swords or cloaks - just wait a second, it'll go.

player of Kyriaca
Third time's the charm!
Re: Ninja Janitor? 02/17/2008 04:08 PM CST
the lockpicks dropped are a HUGE help for youngins trying to pop boxes for the first 20 or so ranks... i started a new barbarian and he went through quite a few picks, and all those drops helped alot since he didnt have to spend all his money on picks.

B D Buuwl
Re: Ninja Janitor? 02/17/2008 08:13 PM CST
>>the lockpicks dropped are a HUGE help for youngins trying to pop boxes for the first 20 or so ranks...

Yeah, but if you're relying on picks dropped by bawdy swains, then there's a slight issue with your bank account.

---
"Close your eyes -
Re: Ninja Janitor? 02/17/2008 08:35 PM CST
>>Yeah, but if you're relying on picks dropped by bawdy swains, then there's a slight issue with your bank account.

If it wasn't such a pain to open locks with anything lower than a master pick then I'd be for the frugal people
Re: Ninja Janitor? 02/17/2008 09:23 PM CST
>>If it wasn't such a pain to open locks with anything lower than a master pick then I'd be for the frugal people

I don't use masters for anything other than cliff-jumpers and snowballs. But I won't disrupt the business of other people any more than that. <waves hand>

---
"Close your eyes -
Re: Ninja Janitor? 02/17/2008 10:12 PM CST
i've had picks dropped in raiders and reivers. seriously. i mean, it doesn't take a master to open a box, i've opened plenty of boxes with a stout. But pretty much by the time you get to that point, you really don't need the critters to drop lockpicks.

maybe they could do a test with the treasure generator - if critter = attackforce > whatevernumber, then no LP drop for that critter. dunno.

<<Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror. - Lorz>>
Re: Ninja Janitor? 04/10/2008 09:09 PM CDT
I like lockpick drops, not sure if I ever need to buy anymore...theres some masters and a few paintsticks mixed in but mostly off critters

You rummage through a black shadowsilk cloak and an ordinary lockpick, an ordinary lockpick, a smooth stout lockpick, an ordinary lockpick, a stout lockpick, an ordinary lockpick, an ochre paintstick, a stout violet lockpick, a master's iron lockpick, a stout lockpick, a stout lockpick, a master's iron lockpick, a master's iron lockpick, a brown paintstick, an ordinary lockpick, a master's iron lockpick, a slim tawny gold lockpick, an ordinary lockpick, a stout rose lockpick, a master's iron lockpick, a black paintstick, a stout black lockpick, a stout blue lockpick, a stout lockpick, a slim pale yellow lockpick, a stout lockpick, an ordinary lockpick, a stout lockpick, an ordinary lockpick, a stout lockpick, a slim lockpick, an ordinary lockpick, a white paintstick, a blue-black paintstick, a slim tawny gold lockpick, a stout lockpick, a stout lockpick, a stout lockpick, a master's iron lockpick, a master's iron lockpick, a master's iron lockpick, a slim lockpick, a slim tangerine lockpick, an azure paintstick, an ordinary lockpick, a master's iron lockpick, a master's iron lockpick, a master's iron lockpick, a blue paintstick, a grey paintstick, a stout forest-green lockpick, an ordinary lockpick, a red paintstick, an ordinary lockpick, a jagged black shard, a stout lockpick, a stout lockpick, an ordinary lockpick, a slim lockpick, a bent stout lockpick, a master's iron lockpick, a master's iron lockpick, a stout lockpick, a master's iron lockpick, a blue paintstick, an ordinary lockpick, a master's iron lockpick, a corroded stout lockpick, a stout lockpick, a stout lockpick, a slim puce lockpick, a master's iron lockpick, a red paintstick, a stout lockpick, an ordinary lockpick, a slim lockpick, a stout lockpick, a twisted stout lockpick, an ordinary lockpick, an ordinary lockpick, a shiny stout lockpick, an ordinary lockpick, a stout lockpick, a stout deep blue lockpick, a stout coral lockpick, a slim lockpick, an ordinary lockpick, a slim lockpick, an ordinary lockpick, a slim lockpick, a stout lockpick, a yellow paintstick, a stout lockpick, an ordinary lockpick, a stout lockpick, a stout lockpick, a dented stout lockpick, a stout lockpick, an ordinary lockpick, a stout lockpick, a stout lockpick, a stout lockpick, a slim lockpick, a stout lockpick, a stout lockpick, a smooth stout lockpick, an ordinary lockpick, a master's iron lockpick, a stout lockpick, a master's iron lockpick, a yellow paintstick and a stout lockpick.
Re: Ninja Janitor? 04/11/2008 02:31 AM CDT
Out of curiosity, what were you hunting?

Nikpack
player of Celeiros

Climbing List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Climbing_skill
Swimming List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Swimming_skill

And while I am evil, I try to avoid being just plain mean.
-Z
Re: Ninja Janitor? 04/11/2008 07:35 PM CDT
Traders?

-=Dirge. The diamond ring on the Greater Fist.=-
Re: Ninja Janitor? 04/13/2008 10:02 AM CDT
The janitor needs to have a word with himself I think. When there is junk lying around he is not interested but as I found out just now, he will come at the drop of a hat if you do something like sort out a bundle of hides...

Caliese unties her bundle, dumping its contents on the ground.
>
Caliese picks up a braided bundling rope.
>
Caliese covers her eyes with her hand.
>chu
You chuckle.
>
Caliese says, "wow"
>
You continue to instruct your students on short bow.
Caliese is hanging on your every word, seeming to want more.
>

A grumbling janitor wanders into the area. Flailing his broom, he shouts, "I'm a-pickin' stuff up! Cain't stand this clutter another roisaen! Ye have till I count ten t'get it yerself, or 'tis mine!" With great concentration, his brow wrinkles and he begins to count.

>lol
Caliese says, "hurry"
>
You laugh!

Synyster Shadowmaiden
Re: Ninja Janitor? 04/13/2008 05:15 PM CDT
Its because more then 100 items were in the bundle i think, Or it could be 50. There is a set number that once its reached the janitor will get called.

Wanderer Larze

Movies count because they are based on real life which imitates art which then gets spoofed by bad art which then is imitated by real life and gave us the state of Florida. - GODKIN
Re: Ninja Janitor? 04/14/2008 11:58 AM CDT
I think if you type <look> it triggers the janitor, so if you're dumping bundles dont type look and do it in a quiet room so nobody else types look either. This is my theory but it could be wrong. I'm basing this on when I hunt, I leave giant piles of coins/gems/boxes but the janitor never gets triggered unless I type look or someone walks by.

-Mvorn
Re: Ninja Janitor? 04/14/2008 12:05 PM CDT
>I think if you type <look> it triggers the janitor, so if you're dumping bundles dont type look and do it in a quiet room so nobody else types look either. This is my theory but it could be wrong. I'm basing this on when I hunt, I leave giant piles of coins/gems/boxes but the janitor never gets triggered unless I type look or someone walks by.

Yup, the 'ninja janitor' was part of a 'look' update.