Room Look Changes 02/12/2008 01:28 PM CST
Admittedly, I'm a player that knows less about game mechanics than most. I was just curious what you meant by "hooking" the janitor. I hunt in a swarm type situation often and the janitor now takes my stuff (frequently) without warning. Before he rarely disturbed the room unless I wasn't present, and I had the opportunity to clean when there was a lull in violence, now I?m either endangering my life trying to gather gems, or losing my shirt in lost wages. If I didn't enjoy killing so much, I'd almost say the hunting ground is useless to me now.
Re: Room Look Changes 02/12/2008 03:54 PM CST
<<now I'm either endangering my life trying to gather gems, or losing my shirt in lost wages.>>

Step 1: Kill critter
Step 2: Search critter immediately upon critter death
Step 3: Skin critter (if skinnable) and either scrape right there, or bundle.
Step 4: Stow gems in gem pouch, stow coins.
Step 5: Go back to killing
Step 6: When any of the following occur, sell gems, deposit coins, get healed, return, goto step 1

A. Burden limit- most players can handle a little burden before things get out of hand, figure out what that is for you and goto step 6.

B. Full gem pouch- Somewhat related to burden, some players can fill multiple gem pouches without becoming encumbered. Figure out how much you can handle and goto step 6.

C. Wounds- If you type "health" and see "no significant injuries" keep killing, if you see something else, or you're bleeding, decide how many injuries you can take and goto step 6.

D. Inventory- type "inv check" and whenever you are carrying more between 400 and 499 items, goto step 6.

Time is not your enemy- I am.
Re: Room Look Changes 02/12/2008 11:44 PM CST
<<Admittedly, I'm a player that knows less about game mechanics than most. I was just curious what you meant by "hooking" the janitor. I hunt in a swarm type situation often and the janitor now takes my stuff (frequently) without warning. Before he rarely disturbed the room unless I wasn't present, and I had the opportunity to clean when there was a lull in violence, now I?m either endangering my life trying to gather gems, or losing my shirt in lost wages. If I didn't enjoy killing so much, I'd almost say the hunting ground is useless to me now.>>

Hello,

When a room has over X number of items (currently around 50)the janitor is summoned to the room. That's what I meant by "hook".

1) There is always a message indicating the janitor is coming.

2) You have around two minutes to pick up anything of value.

3) The janitor will sweep up any item that is not protected by death or from an arm getting chopped off.

4) The janitor will only come to an area once every 10 minutes or so.

-Ssra

"Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind."
Re: Room Look Changes 02/13/2008 05:21 AM CST
Backpacks and the contents in the backpacks, sacks, or bags are each counted individually, and there is no protection for an item that has been dropped, nor even one that has been dropped and "guarded". I found this out the hard way when my backpack full of capped tanned leathers and accessories went POOF within a second or two of dropping/guarding it.

Time is not your enemy- I am.
Re: Room Look Changes 02/13/2008 05:40 AM CST
> There is always a message indicating the janitor is coming.

Would you mind sharing all these? I've highlighed two already, but I wonder if I'm missing any?

~Hanryu Ves'Shomis
Sword of House Calibanor, Ambassador of the Ilithi Court, Emerald Knight, Keeper of the CEC, ... still a Ranger
http://www.kynevon.info/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Re: Room Look Changes 02/13/2008 06:39 AM CST
<<When a room has over X number of items (currently around 50)the janitor is summoned to the room. That's what I meant by "hook".

How does this count items suck as backpacks or haversacks on the ground? Does it count it as 1 item or 1 + the number of items in the container?

Also, in these changes is there any protection given to items that were dropped from the janitor? I assume no, but thought I ask.

Nikpack
player of Celeiros

Climbing List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Climbing_skill
Swimming List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Swimming_skill

And while I am evil, I try to avoid being just plain mean.
-Z
Re: Room Look Changes 02/13/2008 07:04 AM CST
the problem i've seen with janitor mechanics is losing your own thrown weapons/ammunition to an over-zealous janitor.

If i see the message and i'm training thrown or ranged, i'll usually train an alternate weapon for a bit until i see the "fog coming thru" or other janitor messaging indicator. The problem is though if I'm in a swarm of critters I won't always see it before it scrolls by off the screen, especially if I'm training a character in sandsprites or other heavily swarmy areas.

<<Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror. - Lorz>>
Re: Room Look Changes 02/13/2008 09:01 AM CST
I highlight janitor messages (and everything else) as I go. I also got a few of these from others. I have both "incoming" messages and "he's taking your stuff" messages highlighted. (I highlight the entire line, so on some I only save a partial beginning of the message)

The sand devil spins and whirls,

A scavenger troll strolls in,

A raggedy young Gnome dashes up beside you and pants, "I seen the janitor!

A low fog rolls in, then just as quickly rolls out.

A loud voice bellows, "I'll be coming back to clean

A hulking Prydaen storms into the room and glares at you

A grumbling janitor wanders into the area.

A flurry of motion signals the arrival of the janitor.

A flurry of motion catches your eye, but when you look you can't quite make out who's there.

A very loud voice intones,

Those are all the ones I've ever run across. Maybe someone has more :)

Huldah says, "No."
Re: Room Look Changes 02/13/2008 09:05 AM CST
Just as an aside, do note on the last one, A very loud voice... very is proceeded and followed by an asterisk, which makes bold on the forums :)

Huldah says, "No."
Re: Room Look Changes 02/13/2008 09:24 AM CST
I saw the "incoming janitor" message while sitting in the Ratha Barbarian Guild last night by myself, absolutely nothing on the floor. I waited to see if it would try to take something anyway, but it never came.

player of Kyriaca
Third time's the charm!
Re: Room Look Changes 02/13/2008 11:14 AM CST
In the past, I've noticed he'll wipe the room but leave the duffel bags I have on the floor. Which I find odd, in light of Ssra's statement. Does this no longer happen?

---
"Close your eyes -
For your eyes will only tell the truth..
And the truth isn't what you want to see.
In the dark, it is easy to pretend
That the truth is what it ought to be." - Erik Claudin
Re: Room Look Changes 02/13/2008 02:52 PM CST
>>I saw the "incoming janitor" message while sitting in the Ratha Barbarian Guild last night by myself, absolutely nothing on the floor. I waited to see if it would try to take something anyway, but it never came.

This is normal. The janitor doesn't work on single rooms, instead it works on entire blocks of them (I think like 10 rooms but it's probably more.) If you see the janitor messaging but there's no reason for it in your room, chances are good that another room in the block containing your room was the culprit.

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Room Look Changes 02/13/2008 05:39 PM CST
thats pretty standard on ratha. when a boat is near ratha you'll get the messaging on the boat as well, even if you have nothing on the ground. has to do with the sand sprite area. pretty much sweeps up the first tier plus the surrounding ocean.

<<Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror. - Lorz>>
Re: Room Look Changes 02/13/2008 07:31 PM CST
That makes sense, then. Thanks!

player of Kyriaca
Third time's the charm!
Re: Room Look Changes 02/16/2008 02:33 AM CST
So, a friend of mine asked me to post this:

==
I can consolidate coin and gems and skins to avoid the janitor taking my goodies from hunting. But I cannot consolidate junk items, like swords, shields, etc. And I cannot keep any of those on my person if I'm in battle without risking death, which makes it difficult to hunt and acquire coin. Last night while hunting, the janitor cleaned our room out more ten times in under two hours. That's almost once per ten minutes. I think that's a little excessive.
==

This is in morah vines/creepers, so I have no idea what skins he refers to, but anyone who's spent a significant amount of time in creepers knows what he's talking about. There's a huge amount of loot, and keeping it under the apparent maximum seems a little difficult.

This would, of course, be fixed if something like the mentioned loot piles were implemented... but well, they haven't been. =P

---
"Close your eyes -
Re: Room Look Changes 02/16/2008 08:52 AM CST
That's why you pick up any items you want to keep after each kill, and the rest of the junk gets cleaned by the janitor. Incredibly simple.

Time is not your enemy, I am.
Re: Room Look Changes 02/16/2008 01:18 PM CST
>>That's why you pick up any items you want to keep after each kill, and the rest of the junk gets cleaned by the janitor.

He covered that in his paragraph.

Does it normally take you 148 seconds to get in and out of the hunting area?

---
"Close your eyes -