Re: Hiding, invisibility, and movement 01/07/2021 09:52 AM CST
Yeah, this is a terrible change with way more dramatic impact than you think it has. What in the world are you all thinking back there?

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors." -Raesh
Re: Hiding, invisibility, and movement 01/07/2021 09:56 AM CST
Also, again with the fixing of bugs with no post...not very professional.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors." -Raesh
Re: Hiding, invisibility, and movement 01/07/2021 12:12 PM CST
Would much rather see invisibility/hiding break after actively opting into entering a room than be barred from entering.

ie:

[some room]
TKTKTK
Obvious exits: north

>north

As you move north, you realize you can't continue being discrete in your movements. Are you sure you want to go north?
[OOC: The following room does not allow invisibility and hiding. You will be taken out of hiding and/or invisibility if you enter the room. Type NORTH again to continue traveling.]

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Hiding, invisibility, and movement 01/07/2021 12:21 PM CST
>> Trying to move while in a room where you cannot HIDE will now reveal you.

This is... concerning.

>> Would much rather see invisibility/hiding break after actively opting into entering a room than be barred from entering.

Agreed.

Most rooms that disallow Stealth are justice areas. Unexpectedly forcing folks out of a hidden/invisibility state, particularly Necromancers, feels like a potentially punitive change in functionality. I get the intention, and I'm all for standardized mechanics, but if it's going to function some folks are in for some surprises.

- I
Re: Hiding, invisibility, and movement 01/07/2021 11:05 PM CST
> As you move north, you realize you can't continue being discrete in your movements. Are you sure you want to go north?
> [OOC: The following room does not allow invisibility and hiding. You will be taken out of hiding and/or invisibility if you enter the room. Type NORTH again to continue traveling.]

That's cool, I like that idea because it keeps you hidden/invisible without "outing you" which could cause you to gain social outrage or disclose you're stalking someone, etc. but maintains the rule that invisibility/hiding aren't allowed in a certain area.

I suppose it also means that if you suspect you're being stalked you can just run to a "safe room" to forcibly disband stalkers.
Re: Hiding, invisibility, and movement 01/07/2021 11:46 PM CST
Personally, I'd rather it just revealed you and let you enter the room (with no outing messaging to the room), with invisibility coming back into place when you've left the no-hide rooms. For example, Necromancers and others might wish to travel invisibly across the realms. I think this should be fine. But now, they're all going to get stuck at the Crossing NE gate. And I'd rather not have to type in extra commands to get around that.

I think that if people are really concerned about being seen at all, they can try to avoid these rooms entirely, and that it's ok to expect players to be aware of them if that's really a huge concern to them. But barring travel entirely seems overly punitive to me.

So, I would propose that when entering a no-hide room while invisible it would look like this:

> SNEAK S

Original room
You see: You can't sneak in that direction and become visible.
Others see: Nothing.

Destination room
You see: You go south.
Others see: Saragos arrives.

- Saragos