Impossible Treasure map solved with one weird trick! 12/07/2016 07:24 PM CST
So, Kaelie and I set off to solve a map!

The map:

The map has a large 'X' marked in the middle of it. Near the marking, you can see several dotted lines forming a square. Contour lines drawn along the map indicate that the destination is located near sea level, and a drawing of two farm plots surrounds the 'X'. Straight lines have been drawn from the center, pointing northeast and southwest. From other markings on the map, you guess that the destination is southeast from here. Judging by your surrounding environment, you will not find the treasure in this province.

Identified it as Zone I on the zone map (Riverhaven and surroundings) and off we went. Searched out the East gate - nothing. West gate - nothing. North gate - nothing. Checked for areas north and south of Riverhaven that may look like part of different zones but actually belong to Zone I. Nope!

Assist... it's a valid map.

At this point we're convinced we're being trolled. Then we talk to Etherian, who revealed the secret technique that cracked the conundrum:

Look in places that don't match the clues!

And it worked!

[Riverhaven, Blackmoon Road]
A cooper and a carter share space along the road. Hammering and sawing indicate a lively business. The smell of fresh-cut wood and pine tar is a pleasant counter to the normal fishy smell in town. Green wood is being unloaded where it can be stacked and dried. Looking bored, a young Gor'Tog flicks a quirt at two garns as they walk a treadmill, powering the saws and drills of both shops by an elaborate festoonery of belts and pulleys that creak and squeal and vibrate erratically.
You also see an aged copper skippet and a rustic shop.
Also here: Hodierna's Fist Kaelie (speaker).
Obvious paths: northeast, southwest.

In conspicuous evidence - one aged copper skippet full of treasure. Conspicuously missing - any farms or being outside of town in any way.

Troll map indeed.

Mazrian
Re: Impossible Treasure map solved with one weird trick! 12/08/2016 09:27 AM CST
Was the treasure worth the annoyance?

You slap Voldag hard in the face with your hand, making a nice crisp smack!! That's going to leave a mark!
Re: Impossible Treasure map solved with one weird trick! 12/08/2016 07:06 PM CST
You tap a gleaming silver signet ring crested with a cambrinth falcon's head that you are holding.

The signet ring is made with metal.
It appears that the signet ring can be worn around the finger.
You are certain that the signet ring weighs exactly 2 stones.
You are certain that the signet ring holds exactly 4 mana.
You are certain that the signet ring is worth exactly 2250 Kronars.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

It's a nice looking piece. =) No special verbs or anything that I can see.

Mazrian
Re: Impossible Treasure map solved with one weird trick! 12/08/2016 11:05 PM CST
I haven't looked at the code, so I don't know what the farms mean, but if you think there's an issue, use BUG in the room. It may have weird settings, that don't make sense.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: Impossible Treasure map solved with one weird trick! 12/10/2016 08:18 AM CST
This is why I just sell them now. 99% of the time it requires 1, if not 2, assists and the treasure has never once been worth the days of searching.
Re: Impossible Treasure map solved with one weird trick! 12/10/2016 09:48 AM CST
IDK about that.

I really love maps. Each one is different, and I have to engage my brain during the search to put the clues together. At the end of the search is some EXP and a piece of loot that is usually pretty fun and unique.

I would probably do maps or something map-like even if there was no special loot, or the loot was just the equivalent of an above-average box.

Mazrian
Re: Impossible Treasure map solved with one weird trick! 12/10/2016 04:42 PM CST
<I would probably do maps or something map-like even if there was no special loot, or the loot was just the equivalent of an above-average box.

Treasure maps should totally have a % chance to be instantly fatal via booby traps.
Re: Impossible Treasure map solved with one weird trick! 12/11/2016 12:28 PM CST
I like the puzzle that maps provide.

I dislike learning how big some zones are and rooms with zero exits.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Impossible Treasure map solved with one weird trick! 12/19/2016 11:02 AM CST
>This is why I just sell them now. 99% of the time it requires 1, if not 2, assists and the treasure has never once been worth the days of searching.

That may be your experience, and obviously you've wronged a gypsy in a past life, because you seem unlucky as heck. I know that in the 150+ maps Anjinson's player and I have hunted, we've actually had less than 10 that were actually buggy. Most the ones we thought were buggy, were in some really odd and off the beaten path rooms. Which is a good thing, in my opinion.

The Kasto mimic abruptly solidifies, looking very much like Kasto.
>
You say, "What a handsome fellow you are!"
Re: Impossible Treasure map solved with one weird trick! 12/19/2016 12:45 PM CST
I want to say that 10-20% of the maps I come across have been traditionally buggy, but that seems to have improved since the map destination updates were rolled out by Zadraes in the last year or so (my understanding is that there's a system that tracks/analyzes where players are going, and that system tells the map system valid locations for treasure destinations).

I think I may have found a wonky map or two since then, but it's been a lot better.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Impossible Treasure map solved with one weird trick! 12/19/2016 12:46 PM CST
As an aside, it would be neat if there was some NPC where you could turn in a map for another map, with some timer connected with it that prevents you from spamming it until you get a spot you're comfortable with.

Re: Impossible Treasure map solved with one weird trick! 12/19/2016 12:51 PM CST
>>As an aside, it would be neat if there was some NPC where you could turn in a map for another map, with some timer connected with it that prevents you from spamming it until you get a spot you're comfortable with.<<

That would solve a lot of staff time issues, for sure.

Mazrian
Re: Impossible Treasure map solved with one weird trick! 12/24/2016 02:13 PM CST
That's a really good idea for maps

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html