Museum stealing 08/02/2015 02:08 PM CDT
I'm not sure if this is a secret which cannot be discussed on the boards, so if so, my apologies. I don't really think it is, since it's all base mechanics, not anything actually secret like a poison recipe.

Can someone give me a frank and detailed explanation of museum stealing? A walkthrough would be handy, as would answering some of the specific questions below.

The page on the wiki is hilariously out of date, and I'm not sure if the numbers are even correct. If I can get some information here, I'll edit the wiki page.

Note: I've tried looking for thieves in-game to ask these questions and...no dice.

What I'm looking for

1) General skill range to start, without being insta-caught

2) General skill range where it becomes basically a middling activity; the equivalent of a 70% chance at victory every time.

3) General skill range where it becomes an 'I could do this in my sleep and in fact did'

4) Do I need a LAD? Can they even be made after 3.0?

5) Does invisibility (thief khri version and/or other-guild cast version) impact success?

6) Specifically, getting Gweth stones; are these the most difficult/easiest items?

7) Can any items be stolen during the day, or must everything be done at night?
Re: Museum stealing 08/03/2015 02:23 PM CDT
1) You can start stealing with 100-150 ranks on the repeatable stuff (junk/stones/ect) but you won't get too many grabs. With 600 ranks in stealing I can get around 8-12 grabs. It operates on similiar to stealing (each steal is harder, timer resets after an hour)

2) See 1

3) 1200 ranks?

4) Yes and No, it's still possible to make LADs, but they're not strictly necessary if you have the lockpicking ranks. Takes about 200 ranks doing them careful with an LAD, I forget when I stopped using LADs but it's quiet easy after 400 ranks. You can also get around this by having a Moon Mage cast Seer's Sense on you (or at least you could pre 3.0/3.1 not sure if it was updated)

5) I don't believe invisibilty impacts success, but what it does is put you into hiding if you get caught with a large RT and a guard walking in.

6) I think one of the junk pottery piece cases is a little easier but stones are very easy

7) Everything at night

If you want more info or need someone to make you a LAD let me know
Re: Museum stealing 08/03/2015 02:29 PM CDT
<<You can also get around this by having a Moon Mage cast Seer's Sense on you (or at least you could pre 3.0/3.1 not sure if it was updated)

It's not. Or at least there's no messaging to go along with it like there is with a LAD.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Museum stealing 08/05/2015 09:11 PM CDT

This was one of my favorite memories of doing something in game, finding out what i could pick and grab.

I'm happy to help any thieves in getting started stealing there.

You'll have more fun doing it that way i.m.o

Rifkinn
Re: Museum stealing 08/05/2015 09:13 PM CDT
I wish more stuff like the museum existed. Like being able to do second story jobs in nobles' houses or something.

So cool.

Thayet
Twitter: @thayelf
Tumblr: thayette.tumblr.com
Re: Museum stealing 08/05/2015 09:45 PM CDT
>I wish more stuff like the museum existed.

I totally agree.

The "noble houses" thing could work, heck, I'd be thrilled if there was just more than one museum. There is just so much potential there for putting some neat fluff/lore/utility items out there.

You say to Tathalus, "Have you ever tried to clean a troll den? The smell sticks around for years to come."
Liev says, "That is my cue to leave."
Re: Museum stealing 08/05/2015 11:16 PM CDT

>>The "noble houses" thing could work, heck, I'd be thrilled if there was just more than one museum. There is just so much potential there for putting some neat fluff/lore/utility items out there.

At one point a breaking and entering system was being planned by a GM. I think it died somewhere near Critter Stealing.
Re: Museum stealing 08/06/2015 12:01 AM CDT
<At one point a breaking and entering system was being planned by a GM. I think it died somewhere near Critter Stealing.

You are correct. It was mentioned in the guild development forecast for the following year in I believe 2005 or 2006, along with rooftops.

AIM: the_sly_fox

"And that's about as likely as zombie George Washington coming back from the dead to save us from the 2016 political season." -Raesh
Re: Museum stealing 08/08/2015 08:17 AM CDT
Wanted to update this: after the information given to me here, I went and tried stealing (I had previously assumed it was a 300+ rank requirement), and it was fun.

Someone had already opened the box I was looking at, but I was still able to make 2 successful grabs before the guards caught up to me (being in RT, not-hidden of course).

I look forward to trying it a few more times. It was a lot of fun, and thanks for the advice all.
Re: Museum stealing 08/09/2015 11:37 PM CDT
Glad you had fun!

AIM: the_sly_fox

"And that's about as likely as zombie George Washington coming back from the dead to save us from the 2016 political season." -Raesh