Another dumb map thread. 07/13/2014 10:21 AM CDT
The map has a large 'X' marked in the middle of it. Near the marking, you can see several dotted lines forming a square. Contour lines drawn along the map indicate that the destination is located well above sea level, and empty space surrounds the 'X'. Straight lines have been drawn from the center, pointing northeast. From other markings on the map, you guess that the destination is somewhere nearby.

South of Ilaya Taipa, North of Raven's Point, turns "directly south of here" once I enter the Chedik Bridge room between Hib and Boar Clan. I think it's actually inside Hib somewhere since I'm pretty sure I've checked all the rooms with northeast exits(including all the rooms in Mountain Giants with up/down and northeast exits) in the areas outside of Hib where it says it is somewhere nearby, but I can't find any rooms with just northeast exits in Hib and I'm not too familiar with Forf.
Re: Another dumb map thread. 07/13/2014 03:00 PM CDT
You can confirm it is in Hibarnvidar by going to the Moon Mage guild in Hib. If it says directly west then it will be in Outer Hib, Inner Hib, or somewhere along the Himineldar Shel up to the ice road.

A couple of suggestions to try:
-There's a couple of NE only exits on the second floor of Inner Hib around the primary hub when you first enter.
-There's a possible location in the forging society in Inner Hib.
-If you can get into various guild halls, the Warrior Mage and Paladin guild halls each have a possible room.
-There's a couple of areas Outer Hib, most of which are in the Gor'Tog slums west and then south of the gate to Inner Hib.
-The first room of the mountain giant area along the Himineldar.
-Ditto for the frost angiswaerd area.

Also, don't forget that up and down aren't referenced by your map, so the room may or may not include those exits as well.
Re: Another dumb map thread. 07/13/2014 05:46 PM CDT
Found it on the Upper Hib battlements. Spent hours on this thing and had the worst treasure ever.

You rummage through a gold-etched mahogany coffer and see a shiny pinwheel, a small cerulean aquamarine, a huge chartreuse kunzite, a large blue moonstone and some platinum coins.
Re: Another dumb map thread. 07/13/2014 05:55 PM CDT
Which is why I just sell my maps. Some people get a real, legitimate, thrill out of hunting these things down.

If you are doing it for the phat lewtz, you're going to be severely disappointed each and every time, because 99.9% of the treasure items are fun things, not tyrium encrusted mega alteration vouchers that give you +20 to each stat.

I've seen some people pull some really fun items out of those boxes, but I always ended up mad that I got 'a snowglobe' or that tits out stupid cursed scimitar with camb that doesn't work. Both of which showed up like 10 times in plat while I was playing there.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Another dumb map thread. 07/13/2014 06:06 PM CDT
I got spoiled my first treasure map and now I always hope I get something awesome, even though I haven't gotten anything worth noting since my very first one. My first one gave me a vardite great helm sculpted to resemble the visage of a roaring lion and it's all been downhill from there.

I enjoy exploring areas that I don't usually spend much time in, but then I get a map like this one where I probably wasted three hours in the correct area trying to track it down because I never spend any time in Forf and couldn't find that one correct room. And then get a pinwheel.
Re: Another dumb map thread. 07/13/2014 08:44 PM CDT
Maybe when you exhale on the pinwheel, it spins and casts Paeldrath's Wrath or whatever that warmie spell is... heh. I gave up searching for mine. I'll either sell the map or try it again in a month or so.

"I only automatically kill players when they're asking for it or it's funny. Or both." ~GM Raesh
Re: Another dumb map thread. 07/14/2014 08:44 PM CDT

I second that treasure map loot is a rip. not to be mean it's an awesome system that I think has merit if it was worth the pain in the butt they are. but I have gotten two maps ever and the first one I was on my barbarian and found a cambrinth hair comb. I threw it in a bucket. the second one had a fan, and not the neat weapon type, it had a flirty fan thing that I gave to my wife. So all in all I think for the time investment some of them require not to mention annoyingness of some they suck.

My first map was in a place with no exits. you think that would narrow it down, yeah no it didn't still took me 6 days and sever assist insisting my map was broken later. (turned out it was on the docks in rossmans. most people do not even know rossmans has a dock!)
Re: Another dumb map thread. 07/14/2014 11:03 PM CDT
I've said time and time again that if you hunt maps expecting awesome loot, you will most likely be very disappointed. If you pay insane prices for a map expecting to get something worth the price paid, you'll most like be disappointed as well.

However, the adventure is fun as heck and in my mind not a pain at all. It's great to explore and go to new places or seldom visited places. If you're having so much trouble with a map that you feel the need to assist seven times, then maybe you're better off to sell it or ask for help.

I've hunted and found over a hundred maps now with another player acting as my partner and I'd actually say that it's pretty easy to find things if you know a bit about the geography of the game.

You skillfully remove the vanilla cheesecake from your abdomen leaving the wound no worse than it was before.
Re: Another dumb map thread. 07/14/2014 11:11 PM CDT
<3 maps.
Re: Another dumb map thread. 07/15/2014 07:11 AM CDT
>I second that treasure map loot is a rip. not to be mean it's an awesome system that I think has merit if it was worth the pain in the butt they are.

If you search for maps for loot, you're going to be disappointed, and severely so, each time.

Treasure maps DO NOT CONTAIN tyrium, or similar tier 6 materials. They will not have katanas.

What they will have are interesting items, and a sense of accomplishment for searching them out.

I, personally, find treasure hunting a complete waste of my time. It frustrates me and I never find things I enjoy. So...I don't do it. I sell or give away the maps to people who love doing that kind of thing.

Because not everyone is the same.

Re: Another dumb map thread. 07/15/2014 07:24 AM CDT
Treasure maps are super fun. I have done a lot of them and I only wish there was a way to get them more regularly. I guess I could buy them or aomething but I am pretty happy with having done about 80 of them without once having to buy a map.

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -

- I maintain the Warrior Mage Beginner's Guide at:

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Beginner%27s_Warrior_Mage_Guide
Re: Another dumb map thread. 07/15/2014 08:56 AM CDT
For the amount of maps that flooded the system from HE I wish that there were a lot (10x) more quality unique items added to the treasure map loot hopper.

That said, treasure map hunting is pretty fun and a great diversion from hunting; as long as your treasure isn't on Ratha. 60 to 100% of the treasure is the hunt itself in many cases so if that doesn't appeal to you resale of the map is definitely the way to go if you're looking at it from a loot:time invested standpoint.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Another dumb map thread. 07/16/2014 07:45 AM CDT
No I totally agree with you guys which is why I have only done two maps(among other reasons). I do not see the hunt as fun as you guys do. Do I think it's awesome that other people find maps fun? Absolutely. I support any and all systems that people enjoy, but I stand by and support the opinion that the treasure map system could use a face lift. I understand that if a system like maps started popping out tiers 6 and better items/materials then maps would just be another currency instead of what they are that people enjoy.

> having done about 80 of them

How are you finding so many? since the map system has come out I have found two of them. And I hunt critters that give the random weird loot like hairbrushes and turtle figurines.

I do not think anyone else has done quite so many(could be very wrong). Congrats on finding a system to get em.
Re: Another dumb map thread. 07/16/2014 08:55 AM CDT
>>I support any and all systems that people enjoy, but I stand by and support the opinion that the treasure map system could use a face lift.

The system really doesn't need a face lift. It would be nice if some of the older 2.0 weapons/armor are converted to at least 3.0 midsteel, but in the end they're not meant to be awesome items as much as unqiue(ish) items.

As others mentioned, and I'll help reiterate: just think of them as raffle prizes. Are raffle prizes you win going to blow your socks off each time? No, because some items just won't be things you find appealing/useful. With the exception of combat gear that just happens to be outdated, liking or disliking a particular map prize is generally a matter of taste.

>>How are you finding so many?

I've most likely done at least 150+ maps.

They're not necessarily all my maps. People know I like doing them and if they're not that interested in hunting down the stuff, they know my character likes treasure hunting so they know the Gnome's available for hire.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Another dumb map thread. 07/16/2014 10:27 AM CDT
> How are you finding so many?

A combination of hunting stuff that drops them and making sure people know I enjoy doing them pretty regularly results in a "here take this map please".

And for the record it is possible to get some nice high-tier loot from them, it is just the exception rather than the rule.

My favorite map experience is as follows.

I always post on the forums to ask when I will be able to craft myself an Iltesh. I also joke about how in every chest there will be an Iltesh.

Hunting down a really tricky map, and inside the chest was some gems, coins, a really nice cloak with verbs I haven't seen elsewhere.

And an Iltesh-shaped sugar cookie.

tableflip

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -

- I maintain the Warrior Mage Beginner's Guide at:

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Beginner%27s_Warrior_Mage_Guide
Re: Another dumb map thread. 07/16/2014 12:35 PM CDT
>>And an Iltesh-shaped sugar cookie.

that's awesome!
Re: Another dumb map thread. 07/16/2014 03:23 PM CDT
That was probably my most memorable map run too. It was my first ever visit to the Enclave on Hara'Jaal and after hearing Starlear talking about how much he wanted an iltesh for so long, getting a big laugh out about how he sort of got his wish.

I've found a couple of maps from hunting & bought some at HE, but most of the treasure hunts I go on are due to people inviting me to join/help them.

For the maps I had, a few of the items that were too generic/common looking to get excited about, but most of the time it is something that right when I saw them I had a friend in mind who would love it.
Like raffles and all of those things, it is nearly impossible to come up with fancy items that would appeal to everyone. Every raffle I've been to, I saw maybe 1 or 2 items in the list that interest me, and the few I've won rarely matched up with the items I wanted..but there was usually another winner in the same boat willing to trade, people willing to buy it, or friends who would appreciate it I could give it to. No matter the item, there's someone out there who would like it.

Anyway, my favorite part about the whole process is the treasure hunt itself, although sometimes that can be the most frustrating part too. Almost every map provides a decent amount of challenge, although you do occasionally run into the ugly ones that lead to rooms with no exits somewhere in a major city.

I can only think of one time a really frustrating map led to a prize that didn't really excite anyone in the group.. usually I really enjoy the hunt itself and often enjoy finding the treasure too..even if it is just to get a few skills locked and give the treasure to someone who would appreciate it.
Re: Another dumb map thread. 08/16/2014 07:48 PM CDT
So its been a while since somebody has posted here, but what the hell. I seen a thread where somebody found a pretty cool necroish robe or something of the such. I was really amped to see that and didn't rest until I got a map. Turns out i got a crummy chess board... Oh well sold if for like 700 plat at the time, which was when they first started coming out... Never found one since and I turn alot of corpses out.
Re: Another dumb map thread. 08/25/2014 07:42 AM CDT
>>Turns out i got a crummy chess board...

Aren't these pretty rare and only available as auction-level prizes? Not sure how that's crummy.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Another dumb map thread. 08/25/2014 07:45 AM CDT
>Aren't these pretty rare and only available as auction-level prizes? Not sure how that's crummy.

Crummy is in the eye of the beholder?
Re: Another dumb map thread. 08/25/2014 11:46 AM CDT
>>Crummy is in the eye of the beholder?

Eh, it's possible to appreciate something as rare/special if you don't personally like it.

Re: Another dumb map thread. 08/25/2014 12:10 PM CDT
>Eh, it's possible to appreciate something as rare/special if you don't personally like it.

It's also possible to appreciate something as crummy if they don't personally like it either. It's an opinion.
Re: Another dumb map thread. 08/25/2014 01:11 PM CDT
>>It's also possible to appreciate something as crummy if they don't personally like it either. It's an opinion.

Thankfully I disagree! And really isn't that all that matters in this thread.

Re: Another dumb map thread. 08/25/2014 02:27 PM CDT
<drool> What's it look like? IM me. Pleeeeease.

-Aislynn
Re: Another dumb map thread. 08/25/2014 02:41 PM CDT
>><drool> What's it look like? IM me. Pleeeeease.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Item:Chess_board

Re: Another dumb map thread. 08/25/2014 02:51 PM CDT
>Thankfully I disagree! And really isn't that all that matters in this thread

Sure, the point still stands that the dude who found the chess board thinks it's crummy, and it is crummy to him! Just because it's rare/auction and you think it's great doesn't make it so in his eyes. Hence crummy is the eye of the beholder!

No need to try and correct the guy when it's his opinion!
Re: Another dumb map thread. 08/25/2014 05:43 PM CDT
>>No need to try and correct the guy when it's his opinion!

And here you are, correcting my opinion on his opinion.

One big opinon-ouroboros is what we got here, hyuck hyuck.

Re: Another dumb map thread. 08/25/2014 05:55 PM CDT
In First.. THIS ONE'S OVER GUYS

[00:15] Chatter[Uzmam] Damian just wants to beat up dancers, what a bully
[00:15] Chatter[Morpion] Wait for them outside the club at 3 am?
[00:15] Chatter[Damian] i enjoy making them scream with pure terror
Re: Another dumb map thread. 08/25/2014 06:00 PM CDT
<<In First.. THIS ONE'S OVER GUYS

That's just your opinion.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Re: Another dumb map thread. 08/25/2014 06:01 PM CDT
Just kiss already.

Re: Another dumb map thread. 08/25/2014 06:09 PM CDT
That would be crummy for me, Lemmingblade may enjoy it though! More differing opinions!
Re: Another dumb map thread. 08/25/2014 07:42 PM CDT
>>Just kiss already.

I've never had someone bizarrely follow me around to argue before. Maybe it really is unrequited love.

Re: Another dumb map thread. 08/25/2014 09:02 PM CDT
What the hell just happened here? U r all wrong.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Another dumb map thread. 08/25/2014 09:34 PM CDT
<<I've never had someone bizarrely follow me around to argue before.

I lol'd.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page