First treasure map ever 07/12/2014 09:02 PM CDT
Ok guys, I need some help. Here is what the map says:

The map has a large 'X' marked in the middle of it. Near the marking, you can see several dotted lines forming a square. Contour lines drawn along the map indicate that the destination is located at a high elevation, and empty space surrounds the 'X'. Straight lines have been drawn from the center, pointing east and west. From other markings on the map, you guess that the destination is somewhere nearby. Judging by your surrounding environment, you will find the treasure in this province.

I'm in the city of Shard. At Fayrin's Rest, the map says directly south. At the path to eidolon steeds (out the south gate) the map says directly north. In gryphons and horse clan the map says east or southeast.

What concerns me is "several dotted lines forming a square" I have no idea what that means. Destination at a high elevation and empty space surrounds the X also concerns me.

It seems I am looking for a room with only east and west exits? I've tried the Great Tower, Brickwell Tower, Stormwill Tower, and the Tower of Honor. There are very few rooms that have east/west exits. What am I missing?

"I only automatically kill players when they're asking for it or it's funny. Or both." ~GM Raesh
Re: First treasure map ever 07/12/2014 09:09 PM CDT
I had what may be the same exact map that I just solved earlier today.

If it is(same exact description, same exact area, same exact exits, it's probably the same room since maps often repeat themselves), you are on the right track. It is very near Shard.
Re: First treasure map ever 07/12/2014 09:49 PM CDT

IIRC, the dotted lines forming a square is just a generic marking for a room with no specific type and the empty space around it indicates it has no special environment. I.e. it's not a forest, cave, city, mountain, etc. It's just the map maker's way of representing a basic room with no features.

High elevation just means it's not near sea level so you're wanting to look inland more than near a coastline. This is not that useful of a stat to know, although it can help narrow down general locations sometimes.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Item:Worn_and_tattered_map
Re: First treasure map ever 07/12/2014 09:57 PM CDT
<<It seems I am looking for a room with only east and west exits? I've tried the Great Tower, Brickwell Tower, Stormwill Tower, and the Tower of Honor. There are very few rooms that have east/west exits. What am I missing?

Oh and maps don't account for UP/DOWN or portals. So your map could be for a room that has E,W,U as exits, for example.
Re: First treasure map ever 07/12/2014 10:09 PM CDT
>https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Zone_Map

The above helps with searching sometimes, so you can narrow down what zone you need to look in.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: First treasure map ever 07/13/2014 08:29 AM CDT
Thanks for the information. Is there a chance the room could be in a premium only area? Or perhaps some other restricted place that's open only to members of a certain race or guild, i.e., thief passages, guilds, etc?

"I only automatically kill players when they're asking for it or it's funny. Or both." ~GM Raesh
Re: First treasure map ever 07/13/2014 08:32 AM CDT

while most claim it's not needed anymore, every time I get a map I assist to have it verified it's accessible by me. and so far now GM/GH has asked me to stop asking around so if your unsure assist.
Re: First treasure map ever 07/13/2014 10:04 AM CDT
If you want me to just tell you where I found my treasure with the same exact providence(and judging by the info you've given the same exact area of that providence) and the same exact(word for word) map to give you a starting point, shoot me an email at my play.net address. I'm pretty sure they're still considered in game secrets so I can't just blab it on the boards without getting in trouble.