Map help ditto 06/06/2014 01:57 AM CDT
>>The map has a large 'X' marked in the middle of it. Near the marking, you can see several dotted lines forming a square. Contour lines drawn along the map indicate that the destination is located well above sea level, and small bushes with pointy leaves are drawn near the 'X'. Straight lines have been drawn from the center, pointing west. From other markings on the map, you guess that the destination is somewhere nearby. Judging by your surrounding environment, you will find the treasure in this province.

First map! Narrowed it down to Qi. I'm on Aesry now, my questions: This means that I'm looking for a room with only a WEST exit and nothing else? Not West, Up. Not West, Northwest, East, etc. Just West? Other question is now that I'm getting close to tapping out my knowledge of Aesry, does this mean I could potentially looking on M'riss/Ratha, etc?

Can't wait for some time this weekend to explore. This has been fun.
Re: Map help ditto 06/06/2014 02:18 AM CDT
Up and Down (and other such sundry directions) do not appear on maps, so it could be in a room with exits: west, up.

>Other question is now that I'm getting close to tapping out my knowledge of Aesry, does this mean I could potentially looking on M'riss/Ratha, etc?

The line "From other markings on the map, you guess that the destination is somewhere nearby." means you are in the right zone, and Aesry is the only thing IN its zone, you're looking for something on the island for sure!

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Map help ditto 06/06/2014 02:32 AM CDT
<<This means that I'm looking for a room with only a WEST exit and nothing else? Not West, Up. Not West, Northwest, East, etc. Just West?

Up, Down, Out, and doors, etc. do not appear on the maps. I.e. it's just the 8 cardinal directions. There's some more detailed information about maps on elanthipedia as well, including hints at where to look. For example, your map looks like it is hinting it is in a wild area quite high up.
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Item:Worn_and_tattered_map

<<Other question is now that I'm getting close to tapping out my knowledge of Aesry, does this mean I could potentially looking on M'riss/Ratha, etc?

It will only be on Aesry now that you've narrowed it down to that zone. All the other islands are in a different zone. You can see which zone everything is in, along with relative direction on the Zone Map on elanthipedia.
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Zone_Map
Re: Map help ditto 06/06/2014 08:41 AM CDT
Right on. Thanks a lot folks!
Re: Map help ditto 06/06/2014 09:24 AM CDT
And for the record I did read the wiki entry before posting, but I guess reading comprehension fail: didn't pick up on the Zone map piece and the cardinal direction aspect didn't click with me. Thanks.
Re: Map help ditto (now long) 06/11/2014 08:25 PM CDT
Well that was fun. So for those of you playing along at home....hey two hands! well fine, anyway:

Did end up finding it on one of the ancillary roads around Aesry -- thought I'd checked them all first thing, but I missed a few sets of stairs I guess.

You reach the end of the granite stairs.
[Aesry Surlaenis'a, Shadaer Jama]
This section of the road is paved with the bedrock of a stone outcropping. The stairs are solid rock, and hewn from the same granite vein. Each broad step is smoothly cut, but undulating lines like abstract ocean waves decorate each tread. A single jutting boulder walls off a portion of the view to the north, and its flat facing surface is decorated with the abstract carving of a dragon-like monster.
Obvious paths: west.
>
[script paused, Esc to continue]
You sense your cream and gold owl take off.
>get map
You get a worn and tattered map from inside your leather backpack.
>study map
You study a worn and tattered map and realize that the area you're in exactly matches the

markings on it! You dig your hands into the bedrock, revealing a gold-etched oaken coffer.
>

<insert swearing and dancing and stuff>

>open coff
You open your oaken coffer.
>rumm coff
You rummage through a gold-etched oaken coffer and see a medium purple-blue tanzanite, a medium purple tanzanite, a small spotted sea-green opal, some platinum coins and some winged boots of thick leather sculpted to resemble massive vulture feet.
>look boots
Blackened bone talons are affixed to each of the realistically styled toes, curled to grasp a stunning large heartstone in their unyielding embrace. (as an aside shouldnt it be 'grasp stunning large heartstones'? I mean its boots)

I laughed when I first saw the boots. Not one to necessarily spend a lot of time dressing up as Aldauth, but okay. Headed back to town proper suddenly remembering this time years and years ago when I was hunting sun vultures 'at level' (slightly below) with a friend and some paladin who needed help collecting a those heartstone things. It was a comedy of errors getting stunned and knocked over and dragged away only to have the rescuer get stunned so you got up to help and etc., etc. So after we'd helped the paladin and he trumped off we came up with this idea that if we collected enough of these heartstones we must be able to figure out a way to lash them together into some crazy vulture stun bomb thing...well anyways.

So then I'm in town proper and I start fiddling around with them and (long scrolling rooms warning):

>pinch my boot
You idly pick at some winged boots of thick leather sculpted to resemble massive vulture feet.
>
You feel yourself lifted slightly, and suddenly you are in motion!
[Aesry Surlaenis'a, Liva'an Cha'walkas]
This section of the road sweeps in an arc around the northern side of the lough. Crushed white shells, mixed with a few pale grey hermit shells, form the roadbed and provide a level surface for traveling even in muddy weather. A breeze often gusts fingers of mist from over the water, but they quickly vanish once over land. Obvious paths: north, southwest.
Everything blurs as your boots speed you north...
A large, solid stone building stands on the western side of the road. It is without windows, and only a pale weak light seeps through a sturdy, locked gate which blocks the courtyard entrance. The sound of soft lapping water comes from the direction of the lake, which is dark along this poorly lit section of road. You also see the jail gate watchman.
Obvious paths: northeast, south.
Everything blurs as your boots speed you northeast...
The Third Stone of the Cloud is designated by three deep gouges at the top of a long upright standing stone. It rises from the bedrock of the island, and no plants grow near it. Its stark aloneless is most beautiful. Looking from the stone over to the temple spire in the center of the lough aligns one on the exact northwest radius of the island, and a wooden pier extends along the same imaginary line into the lake. Nearby, a damaged currach lies upturned on the gritty sand.
Obvious paths: northeast, southwest.
The road widens before a pristine building consisting of white quartz columns and a grand overhanging roof abutting the rocky crags of the hillside. The eaves shelter the bleached white wood and pale paper screen walls along the sides and front of the building. Broad steps lead up to the gated entry, and a flag with the symbol of the Tribunal Government hangs above the gateway. Plantings of heather and rare rock garden specimens landscape the front, right down to the water's edge. You also see a scorpion munitions crate, a cable barrel and a reinforced wooden scorpion.
Obvious paths: east, southwest.
Everything blurs as your boots speed you east...
The spectacular rock gardens of the government buildings extend here as far as the front of a small single-room structure to the east of the main offices. An open gateway displays a sign.
Obvious paths: northeast, west.
The rocky soil bordering the road is only suited to sustaining the heath and heather plants that cling with grasping roots. The foliage is a mixture of different greens and creates a varigated carpet that sets off the pale shell roadway. To the east, a ledge of basalt juts out and shades the road. You also see the regional Aesry Orders office.
Obvious paths: east, southwest.
>poke my boot
The pale shell roadway narrows to a path which winds between a jutting rock-ledge of the hillside and the soft black sand of the lough shore. The overhanging ledge of dark basalt shades most of the path from the sun and weather.
Obvious exits: southeast, west.
Everything blurs as your boots speed you southeast...
A deep gouge in the hillside creates the perfect location to place the arena. The building's stone columns gleam a clean white and the broad steps of the approach are cut from the rock slopes in wide, smooth layers.
Obvious paths: east, northwest.
The rocky slope forces the road away from the lough in an arc. A white-columned building simply landscaped with low heather and prickly gorse stands out stark against the darker island rock. Travelers hurrying in and out check their belongings, and the small sign nestled among the gorse points to an entrance.
Obvious paths: southeast, west.
The northern slopes of the island are drier and rockier than the forested and grassy areas to the east and south. A rough tumble of steep rocky crags and heather-covered ground stretches above to the north. The Fourth Stone of the Cloud stands impaled in the barren ground here, the four grooves that mark it gouged at the top. This is the tallest of the four menhirs.
Obvious paths: southeast, northwest.
The hillside rises upwards at a gentle slope to the east to form a grassy park area above the road, bordered beyond by the terrace of the second tier's street. A line of birches further than the inhabited sections marks the abrupt steep slant up to heavily wooded upper reaches of the island. You also see a tri-shot munitions crate, a cable barrel and a tri-bolt ballista.
Obvious paths: south, northwest.
Everything blurs as your boots speed you south...
The soft ground near the water's edge slants in a steady slope up to an undulating grassy hill. A cluster of buildings dot the knoll, the largest house crowning the mound's top. The sound of singing and low chanting comes from the Cloister and echos off the blanketing cloud of mist over the lake. The singing fades softly and dissipates like the fingers of fog, even the crunching of the shells underfoot grows quieter and shushes before the home of the Ru'atin Peri'el. You also see a carved glass sun and a sturdy teak table with a glass shard hanging from a silken cord on it.
Obvious paths: north, southeast.
An intimate open-air theater is nestled between a grassy knoll to the north and the steep eastern slopes of the hillside. A grove of birch trees surrounds the milky-white walls of the theater and shelters a path to a small wooden building that houses the theatre entrance. A row of benches line the shore side of the road, a nice spot for gazing over the misty lake or waiting for the theatre to open its doors. You also see a willowy green-robed priestess.
Obvious paths: east, south, northwest.
A pier extends a short distance over the surface of the lake before disappearing into the darkness over the lake. In the distance, the lighted spire of the temple at the center of the lough shines like a thin needle of moonlight.
Obvious paths: north, east, southwest.
[Aesry Surlaenis'a, Staho Lanahh'Mus]
A statue of gilded marble stands in the center of the street. The crushed white shells curve around the image, as do those walking down the street. Each traveller glances at it for a brief moment before quickly jerking their eyes away. You also see a footpath leading up the eastern slope.
Obvious paths: north, south, west.
[Aesry Surlaenis'a, Staho Lanahh'Mus]
Contrasting sharply with the crushed white shells of the pathway, the glossy black prayer gate dedicated to Peri'el rises to the east. A faint breeze wafts in from the west, bringing the salty scent of the inner lake.
Obvious paths: north, south.
Roundtime: 48 sec.
R>
...wait 48 seconds.
R>
You sense your cream and gold owl take off.
R>
The wings of your boots relax and fold themselves at your ankles.
R>say holy WHAT
You say, "Holy WHAT."
R>

That was sweet!
Re: Map help ditto (now long) 06/11/2014 08:30 PM CDT
Oh and by the way when I figure out the magic word that unlocks these bad boys so I get to drop these awesome vulture stun bombs as I'm flying across the countryside, I promise I will only use my powers for good. And maybe Aldauth stuff.
Re: Map help ditto (now long) 06/11/2014 10:05 PM CDT
Congratulations on the winged boots! Those are a pretty good item. I don't think I've seen vulture ones before.
Re: Map help ditto (now long) 06/12/2014 12:30 AM CDT
Interesting, isn't it normally INVOKE on all of the winged boots?

Love those as well, what a great treasure find! :)
Re: Map help ditto (now long) 06/12/2014 08:57 AM CDT
>>Interesting, isn't it normally INVOKE on all of the winged boots?

If he was running a verb testing script, it may have just not triggered until reaching pinch. I could have sworn that the boots don't immediately trigger.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Map help ditto (now long) 06/12/2014 09:10 AM CDT
Yea it was invoke. As Tev said I was running a verbtest and pinch happened to come up just before my little adventure. Just didn't bother editing.

I dunno, I've never had nor been interested in winged boots, so I didn't realize they worked quite like that. Scared the heck outta me at first. Heh.
Re: Map help ditto (now long) 06/12/2014 09:10 AM CDT
<<I could have sworn that the boots don't immediately trigger.

This is correct, I believe.