Complaint about nuggets. Appraisers not giving anywhere near value. Needs Staff Fix. 09/17/2022 09:28 PM CDT
Many times the only thing in level 185 Scavenger Giants' boxes is something like:

You get a tiny platinum nugget from inside your locksmith's pack.
> app nug
The platinum nugget is made with metal.
You are certain the platinum nugget has a volume of 1.
You are certain that the platinum nugget weighs exactly 9 stones.
You are certain that the platinum nugget is worth exactly 23342 Kronars.

Now so far that looks okay, maybe a little low for a level 185 box but...

Here's the problem though:

You ask the Dwarf to buy a tiny platinum nugget.
The Dwarven appraiser scrutinizes the platinum nugget carefully, then hands you 4110 Kronars.

There seems to be some kind of a maximum that appraisers or gem buying npcs will give for nuggets.

I'd really like to see this worked on as it vastly reduces the average value of boxes.
Re: Complaint about nuggets. Appraisers not giving anywhere near value. Needs Staff Fix. 09/18/2022 07:00 PM CDT
>>There seems to be some kind of a maximum that appraisers or gem buying npcs will give for nuggets.

Two things are happening:
1) To keep people from directly selling materials you mine out for the profit, vs crafting with them for profit, you can only sell them at a fraction of what they cost, and the system can't tell the difference between "craftable nugget/bar that a critter drop" from "craftable nugget/bar that came from a mine"
2) Even if you then went "okay, fine I'll craft with it," the loot system sets its value at what a gem/etc should cost for a critter's level, but then you smith it and it gets "normalized" to what it should be, so you can't even get its appraisal "value" if you even crafted with it

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Complaint about nuggets. Appraisers not giving anywhere near value. Needs Staff Fix. 09/19/2022 11:22 AM CDT
Thanks for the info but I knew I made a mistake saying what I thought might be happening, because regardless of what is causing it... it's ruining the value of boxes way too often and I'd like to see a fix implemented.

That said this complaint is already a decade old (because I've made it before), so it's not like I'm expecting much.
Re: Complaint about nuggets. Appraisers not giving anywhere near value. Needs Staff Fix. 09/19/2022 03:57 PM CDT
Totally; I'm confirming what you're saying, going into more detail, and expanding on the issue.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Complaint about nuggets. Appraisers not giving anywhere near value. Needs Staff Fix. 09/20/2022 09:50 AM CDT
Just from a handful of boxes I did this morning...

In the driftwood skippet you see a large electrum nugget.
In the oaken strongbox you see a huge faceted blue-purple iolite and a tiny platinum nugget.
In the copper crate you see a medium green tsavorite and a small gold nugget.
In the driftwood chest you see a large yellow chrysoberyl and a tiny electrum nugget.

Even that right there is like 5 plat lost, almost 10 when you figure in a trader selling the gems in a pouch.

Please staff, do something. I am begging you.