Boxes: Coolest Items you've found. 03/28/2016 10:03 AM CDT

Gemstone IV has some of the best items/weapons/armors in the game come from boxes. This is mostly because there is a system for custom created items (by GMs) that can be added into the box hopper. Does Dragonrealms have such a system? If so, what have you found over the years that really stuck out?

Remember, even well done fluff pieces can be a potential candidate!
Re: Boxes: Coolest Items you've found. 03/28/2016 10:55 AM CDT
The GMs swear such a system exists. The only thing I ever pull out of the loot hopper is generic junk (pestles, sarongs, etc.).

Which doesn't prove/disprove anything, just sharing my experience.
Re: Boxes: Coolest Items you've found. 03/28/2016 11:30 AM CDT
>>This is mostly because there is a system for custom created items (by GMs) that can be added into the box hopper. Does Dragonrealms have such a system?

There is a system that does this, yes. You can see some of the items people archived here: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Random_Creature_Drop#Unique

>>If so, what have you found over the years that really stuck out?

That said, most "oh wow awesome" items I've found have come from the map system, where GMs also place custom/unique/one-off items. Since getting an item via map or directly via critter drop seems the same to me (since they're both the random hopper AFAIK), I'll just list those:

1) tailored dove-grey vest with a flower on the lapel (epedia ate this entry during the transition but it's one of those water flower prank items, which I find neat)
2) https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Item:Small_mechanical_cleric
3) https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Weapon:Jewel-hilted_gnomish_long_blade_incised_with_a_blood_channel
4) https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Item:Dented_steel_lunch_pail_crafted_from_parts_of_a_great_helm
5) https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Item:Fitted_black_brocade_doublet_accent_with_small_lion%27s_head_buttons

>>The GMs swear such a system exists.

Every so often I hear a GM lamenting that their item dropped and the person hunting in the room didn't even notice, so it got eaten by the janitor, so I'm sure they're just as disappointed when players don't find them.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Boxes: Coolest Items you've found. 03/28/2016 11:36 AM CDT
I wonder what percentage of players have any awareness of critter drops.

I've found some neat stuff over the years from >loot, but so far all I've gotten from map boxes are (very fancy) parasols.

Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Boxes: Coolest Items you've found. 03/28/2016 12:32 PM CDT

Maybe I should of kept those rat-skin slippers, maybe there was something amazing about them I didn't realize! :(

"I, for one, think it's nice to have new folks who are excited and already care enough about the game to offer suggestions. We need more of that." -Solomon

Thanks for being in my corner Solomon, come back soon.
Re: Boxes: Coolest Items you've found. 03/28/2016 01:00 PM CDT
The only thing I have ever found in over a decade of playing was "a pair of reading glasses framed in scrimshawed ivory."

I really, really wish there was a neater variety of common drops.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Boxes: Coolest Items you've found. 03/28/2016 02:52 PM CDT

It would nice (and get more people involved and excited) if fragments of certain treasure pieces dropped (pages from a spellbook, a blade piece of a much larger sword, a gear from a mechanical owl etc.) that way several people may need to come together to finish a treasure project (Collectibles do this to some extent).
Re: Boxes: Coolest Items you've found. 03/28/2016 03:10 PM CDT
>>It would nice (and get more people involved and excited) if fragments of certain treasure pieces dropped (pages from a spellbook, a blade piece of a much larger sword, a gear from a mechanical owl etc.) that way several people may need to come together to finish a treasure project (Collectibles do this to some extent).

I really like this but then the cynic in me asks who gets the final "thing". I wouldn't personally want to get lucky enough to find a bunch of stuff that can be combined with someone else's stuff and then not end up with a cool thing myself, and I'm sure the other person would feel similar.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Boxes: Coolest Items you've found. 03/28/2016 04:29 PM CDT

Eh. There's ways around that. For instance it could be random on who gets the final piece. 5 players all with a part of a sword reforges original sword, sword "bonds" to X random character. (20% chance; not bad.) Or said item is a magical devices usable by X guild only, the other treasure hunters may get a plat reward instead. Or a "hoard" find where the entrance to a treasure hoard requires 7 keys of varying color; the location is a randomly created generic "vine encrusted opening." which gets generated somewhere random in the province in which the keys are found. Treasure is randomly strewn on the ground with vague nouns that can be used to direct a player's search perimeter "rack of weapons", "gliterring corner of jewels", "shining corner of coins" etc. Each scoop in a particular section incurs a random RT. Basically, once all 7 keys are turned and the ancient vault entrance opened, it's "every man for themselves." if you get extremely lucky on RT and are particularly fast on the typing you might be able to snatch up the lion's share.
Re: Boxes: Coolest Items you've found. 03/28/2016 05:12 PM CDT
>>Eh. There's ways around that. For instance it could be random on who gets the final piece. 5 players all with a part of a sword reforges original sword, sword "bonds" to X random character. (20% chance; not bad.)

TBH that would even frustrate me even more.

I'm 100% on board with the ability to "build" a relic. I'm just, you know, self-interested in getting to have it myself if it's the kind of thing I'd be into.

>>Or a "hoard" find where the entrance to a treasure hoard requires 7 keys of varying color; the location is a randomly created generic "vine encrusted opening." which gets generated somewhere random in the province in which the keys are found. Treasure is randomly strewn on the ground with vague nouns that can be used to direct a player's search perimeter "rack of weapons", "gliterring corner of jewels", "shining corner of coins" etc. Each scoop in a particular section incurs a random RT. Basically, once all 7 keys are turned and the ancient vault entrance opened, it's "every man for themselves." if you get extremely lucky on RT and are particularly fast on the typing you might be able to snatch up the lion's share.

Could always have it use the same mechanics as the "Treasure Mobs", where after being killed a "treasure sack" drops and everyone who hit it at least once has the opportunity to grab a [random] prize.

Overall I really like the idea. I'm just also greedy so I'd hate to not get a "thing" myself (and I wouldn't want anyone else to not get a thing, either).