Spell scrolls 03/13/2015 06:23 PM CDT
Is there any general guideline as to which spell scrolls are valuable and which aren't? Maybe even a price list that someone keeps someplace? I've checked out some that are for sale in shops and the prices are all over the place. Any help would be appreciated!
Re: Spell scrolls 03/13/2015 10:08 PM CDT
My general rule of thumb for value. YMMV

Is it open to everyone?
Does it do something really useful(see: Whispers of the Muse)?
Does it teach really well (see: Fireball for TM)?
(Sometimes) Is it really fun fluff or forbidden magic(necro spells)?

People will buy signature spells to toss around with a scroll instead of spending the spell slots on it, but it's not worth as much to do so. Personally I wouldn't pay more than 5 Plat for a signature spell, but some might pay more. Elanthipedia has a guide to what is signature, and what is not.

I got excited on a moongate scroll drop and started looking for a focus moonbeam scroll until i remembered they were both signature, meh.
Re: Spell scrolls 03/14/2015 12:09 AM CDT
Value changes drastically and fluidly by what's considered desirable in the moment. Cyclics used to be in high demand but since most if not all are esoterics and cyclics don't teach as much sorcery as easily as they used to they're less valuable. Ghost shroud used to call prices ~ 1k but esoterics are much more difficult to sorcerously cast. Now GHS is around 50 plat or less (or free). Bard elemental transformations are in high demand at the moment. Since deaths come much less often than they used to and scrolls can be partially protected by carrying plenty of favors you don't see people losing scrolls as often - demand fluctuates. It's a seller's market. I see 20 to 50 plat per scroll as an average in trader shops. Non-trader players usually sell in the 10 to 20 to 50 plat range depending on the spell or just trade/give away scrolls.

Dealing in scrolls with actual sorcerers (rather than capitalists) is a better deal if you're trying to get the scrolls you need vs profit because generally it's a trade or gift thing.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html