Work Order question 08/26/2013 05:12 AM CDT
Am I doing something wrong with alchemy work orders? My Empath has ~180 in alchemy, a career in remedies, and the relevant crafting techniques.

> From the remedies crafting discipline you have been trained in Remedial Herb Gathering, Advanced Herb Preparation, Wound Remedy Basics, External Limb Remedies, External Body Remedies, Internal Limb Remedies, Internal Body Remedies, External Limb Scar Remedies, Internal Limb Scar Remedies, Curative Specialization, Remedy Preparation Theory, and Restoration Acumen.

and ~60 in forging with no career or hobby and no relevant techniques.

> From the blacksmithing crafting discipline you have been trained in Basic Metal Smelting, and Basic Tool Repair.

Buying materials from the society, I made over 2 gold in profit per work order making bronze keyblanks, but have never made a profit of over 1500 kronars on an alchemy WO, and actually lost money making work orders for 5 stacks of body ointment and neck salve.

I am doing challenging workorders for both societies, and using store-bought tools for forging. For alchemy, I actually have a forged pestle and mixing stick.
Re: Work Order question 08/26/2013 11:17 AM CDT
The values of alchemy products seems to weigh heavily on the catalyst used. So if you're using coal you're going to have really bad payouts. I tend to break even (or a bit ahead) when making neck potions with coal (or pewter, really) and end up a lot better off when using niniam.

But, in the end, 1 volume of a material isn't going to end up as price-improving as multiple volumes of a material, so alchemy will always feel like it pays less. On the plus side, it requires a lot less for each product. One 40 volume niniam ingot can last me 8-15 WOs, meanwhile that would cover 2-3 of my larger-volume blacksmithing WOs.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Work Order question 08/26/2013 01:22 PM CDT
> I am doing challenging workorders for both societies, and using store-bought tools for forging. For alchemy, I actually have a forged pestle and mixing stick.

If you've got the career and the techniques, you should really be doing hard workorders. They'll pay a bit better.
Re: Work Order question 09/01/2013 04:54 AM CDT
>The values of alchemy products seems to weigh heavily on the catalyst used

I think this needs re-evaluation.

>You hand Lanshado your logbook and bundled items, and are given 2907 Kronars in return.

That was a 5 item Tier 9 ojhenik elixir WO using coal.

If I was buying ojhenik from the society, it'd take me some 5106 kronar in material, with buying storebought coal.

The catalyst cost (21ish kronar) is negligible compared to 1000 kronar for the herb.

With Alchemy raw material gathering INCREDIBLY hit-and-miss between night/day and seasons, it's pretty bad that you can't even make money doing work. Every other discipline (and I'm doing them all on one character or another), is making quite a bit of profit just using storebought material. Forging makes a TON of coin off adding platinum in.

At the moment, I'm making ojhenik elixer 1 dose at a time because of teaching the same whether you make 1 dose or 6.

Kaeta Airtag

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: Work Order question 09/01/2013 04:59 AM CDT
>using store-bought tools for forging

I highly, highly, highly recommend getting ANY player-crafted tools of any sort, as long as they are mastercrafted, or at least outstanding. You are functionally penalizing yourself using 'well-made' storebought tools. Or as the GMs consider it, you're not bonusing yourself.

They don't have to be the top tier made for speed, but they will pay for themselves compared to using storebought, if only because you can do harder stuff sooner in terms of ranks, accept harder work orders, and have higher quality products worth more to the society.

Kaeta Airtag

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: Work Order question 09/01/2013 11:08 AM CDT
Just to follow-up, after tracking 20+ challenging work orders using mastercrafted alchemy tools and store-bought mats, I am averaging ~5300 kronars/hour with ~190 Alchemy. With ~90 in blacksmithing, store-bought tools and store-bought bronze ingots, I average ~11400 kronars/hour.

The biggest difference seems to be that, with alchemy, the increase in payout from a 2-stack WO to a 5-stack WO is really, really small. A WO for limb salve nets (after materials) around 1500 kronars for a 2-stack, 1250 for a 3-stack, 1000 for a 4-stack, and 750 for a 5-stack. The payout goes up by about 150 kronars per item, but the cost of materials goes up by around 400. In all my blacksmithing WOs, the payout can increase pretty dramatically from a low-volume, low count WO (2 tall mugs, 2 volumes, 2462 kronars) to a higher-volume, higher-count WO (3 hammers, 36 volumes, 12305 kronars). Unlike with alchemy, the cost in ingots went up by about 3000, and the payout increased by about 10,000.
Re: Work Order question 09/01/2013 11:58 AM CDT
>>I think this needs re-evaluation.

I agree! I think herb costs should factor in more.

>>"You hand Lanshado your logbook and bundled items, and are given 2907 Kronars in return."

>>That was a 5 item Tier 9 ojhenik elixir WO using coal.

Just as a reference point, here's a WO for four Tier 4 neck potions using niniam.

"You hand Benzia your logbook and bundled items, and are given 15425 Dokoras in return."

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).