Makin money 08/20/2013 07:44 AM CDT
I'm curious, what's the guild best set up to make money now? I used to think it was WM, given how CL or FR worked. Is that true?

I've always thought traders only make money from other players (crafting, tables, etc), and that the amount of money they make compared to hunting (when normalizing the time spent in game for both types) is really low, that true?

The moon silver complaints made me wonder, since 800 plat is 'giving it away' how most people are making this much cash in 3.0.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Makin money 08/20/2013 08:35 AM CDT
You have to play a character above 20th circle to make real money Krooner :P. Unless you just grind WO's you can do decent there.

[00:15] Chatter[Uzmam] Damian just wants to beat up dancers, what a bully
[00:15] Chatter[Morpion] Wait for them outside the club at 3 am?
[00:15] Chatter[Damian] i enjoy making them scream with pure terror
Re: Makin money 08/20/2013 09:53 AM CDT
Shaddup. I'm talking theoreticals. Because I don't have the attention to get to earth shaker levels.

Re: Makin money 08/20/2013 02:20 PM CDT
If you're outdoors, Fire Rain is sweet for farming. If you're indoors, Fireball. CL lost its mass-killing edge.

- Starlear -
Re: Makin money 08/21/2013 12:24 AM CDT
>>I've always thought traders only make money from other players (crafting, tables, etc), and that the amount of money they make compared to hunting (when normalizing the time spent in game for both types) is really low, that true?

This is true. I can make more money per hour hunting as a Trader than trading as a Trader, and both pale in comparison to money made from crafting items

I wouldn't have any idea though on the relative comparison between guilds regarding making money from hunting

Apu
_
Respect. Integrity. World Domination.
https://sites.google.com/site/apucorpdr/
Re: Makin money 08/21/2013 12:29 AM CDT
With the 3.0 combat changes the amount of money that can be made in combat has gone waaayyyy down. A couple years ago before I quit I was making easily over 1k every 24 hours no sweat. Since I have started playing again I am lucky to be at 500 plat every 24 hours and if i hunt to actually train in either elders or drakes that is more like 200 plat every 24 hours.

Doing crafting orders are by far the fastest and easiest way to make coinage now

Waiting for results..................................................................................................................
Re: Makin money 08/21/2013 08:03 AM CDT
I had no idea crafting WOs was so lucrative.

Does this only apply to certain crafts? Do you need to be gathering your own supplies, or can you do fine with just making stuff with store bought materials, for simple WO grinding?

I honestly had expected any AOE cyclic (ergo hunting) to still be the top.

Re: Makin money 08/21/2013 08:18 AM CDT
>both pale in comparison to money made from crafting items
>Doing crafting orders are by far the fastest and easiest way to make coinage now

Wait. What? I must be doing something wrong.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Makin money 08/21/2013 09:45 AM CDT
>>I must be doing something wrong.

Tiny Coal Nugget = ~25 kronar
25 Parts Ingredient = ~400 kronar
1 part liquid = ~7 kronar
Total Cost of one 5 use stack = ~432 kronar
Avg of 4 stacks per work order
Avg cost per work order = ~1725 kronar (rounded for easy math)

Avg revenue per work order = ~2250 kronar (very rough estimate)

Avg profit per work order = 525

~5 minutes per work order

Just over 6 plat per hour** if you don't take into account buying materials or fixing tools.

**These numbers are pretty rough and are based of observations, not me using a stop watching and excel to get exact averages. Even if you double it because I stink at alchemy you'd be at 12 plat per hour and at 500 ranks offense/defense you can make 12 plat per hour fairly if you grind it somewhere. All and all, I think things are fairly balanced between hunting and alchemy.

I can't speak for any other crafting discipline as I can barely speak for this one!

Player of Diggan, Ranger & Halfing of Aesry
Re: Makin money 08/21/2013 09:51 AM CDT
I can make a lot more AoE hunting with my warrior mage than I've been able to make through non-stop WOs. I'm willing to bet that it's really player, technique and guild specific as to which is the best earner for an individual.
Re: Makin money 08/21/2013 10:00 AM CDT
>>I must be doing something wrong.

Are you using gold/silver/platinum in your mixes?

I would normally pull in 8-12 plats using a bronze-alloy ingot for a hard work order of 3-5 backtubes.

It might be reasonable to factor in the time it takes me to mine out all that non-bronze stuff, though.

>>Tiny Coal Nugget = ~25 kronar

The reason your alchemy products sell so low is because a big chunk of the value is based on the catalyst you use. You're using a crazy-cheap catalyst. My Alchemy WOs move into the 8 gold - 1 plat range if I'm using niniam.

All that said, I'm guessing it's still more profitable to just sit in a super-swarmy area and AoE things, especially if those things aren't at-level for you. I think that if I really wanted to just plop down in gryphons or quartz gargs and AoE for an hour or so, I'd get a nice chunk of change.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Makin money 08/21/2013 10:12 AM CDT
>~5 minutes per work order

5 minutes for a whole work order? When forging, that's about the time that it takes to make one item.

You can make a whole alchemy item, start to finish in 1 minute?
Re: Makin money 08/21/2013 10:45 AM CDT
>>Just over 6 plat per hour** if you don't take into account buying materials or fixing tools.

A) 6 plat per hour is extremely low compared to the guy claiming he makes 500 plat per 24 hours hunting, but that work orders are where the profit is

B) You can't "not take into account buying materials", unless you have some method to obtain the materials for free (in terms of coin AND time). According to your numbers, your actual profit per hour is 6 gold per hour, not 6 plat.

>>Are you using gold/silver/platinum in your mixes?

>>I would normally pull in 8-12 plats using a bronze-alloy ingot for a hard work order of 3-5 backtubes.

See B) above. Did you buy the gold/silver/platinum? If so, it comes out of your profits. Or did you mine the material yourself? If so, the opportunity cost of not re-selling the material comes out of your profits.

Apu
_
Respect. Integrity. World Domination.
https://sites.google.com/site/apucorpdr/
Re: Makin money 08/21/2013 11:27 AM CDT
>>Or did you mine the material yourself? If so, the opportunity cost of not re-selling the material comes out of your profits.

I use the nuggets that are medium or larger in my mixes because of the way mined nuggets give diminishing returns as their size goes up. And, as I said, I'd factor in the time it takes to mine. At the same time, I'd either be learning outdoorsmanship mining or learning outdoorsmanship collecting piles, so it's not like I'm going out of my way to train something.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Makin money 08/21/2013 12:14 PM CDT
> You can make a whole alchemy item, start to finish in 1 minute?

Adding up just the RT, my last three remedies took 148, 151 and 144 seconds. That's per item, and it includes the study time.
Re: Makin money 08/21/2013 12:34 PM CDT
Without looking back,

>See B) above. Did you buy the gold/silver/platinum? If so, it comes out of your profits. Or did you mine the material yourself? If so, the opportunity cost of not re-selling the material comes out of your profits.

I believe Tev posted this? If so, there's a minimal supply or market for ore in Plat, so the monetary cost impact should be lower than you expect. Though I don't know for sure.

Re: Makin money 08/21/2013 01:05 PM CDT
>>The reason your alchemy products sell so low is because a big chunk of the value is based on the catalyst you use. You're using a crazy-cheap catalyst. My Alchemy WOs move into the 8 gold - 1 plat range if I'm using niniam

Yes, I know. But you then also have to take time to find someone selling niniam, or forage and prepare seolarn weed, etc. By the time you do all that, you might as well have just used coal and done 30+ work orders.

>>~5 minutes
Yeah it might actually be longer than that. I'm doing challenging work orders. It pretty much goes, mix, water, mix, turn, catalyst, mix, smell, mix, done. And with the average stack of 4, it's around a 1 minute 15 seconds. All scripted of course.

>>According to your numbers, your actual profit per hour is 6 gold per hour
Yeah, decimal point got moved around. You are correct.

So... to sum it all up, you are all correct, and as I said, I was just throwing some alchemy examples out there. I'm definitely not min/max'ing by any means, but even if you had a steady supply of nimiam (at a decent rate), and you could get your materials prepared for you cheaper than you could buy them (and consistently), I don't think you're going to beat someone spam killing dobeks or gryphons.

Other crafts, that might be a different story.

Re: Makin money 08/21/2013 01:11 PM CDT
>>Yes, I know. But you then also have to take time to find someone selling niniam, or forage and prepare seolarn weed, etc. By the time you do all that, you might as well have just used coal and done 30+ work orders.

Eh, I find at least one niniam vein a day. Each one generally nets me 30-60 volume depending on the vein size/my luck/how many butterflies flapped by that day.

Since I train outdoorsmanship anyway, mining out niniam isn't an issue for me, because I'd be mining something to move the skill if not collecting giant piles of dirt.

>>I don't think you're going to beat someone spam killing dobeks or gryphons.

Spam killing things weaker than you is always going to be best, because there's no WO version of "well I'm super awesome at making these clippers so it only takes two pounds to complete."

That said, WOs aren't a bad way to make money. Someone could make a reasonable amount of money doing them.

Re: Makin money 08/21/2013 01:44 PM CDT
>>Eh, I find at least one niniam vein a day.

And that's fine and dandy, but you have to include that time in your kronar/hour rate. If you think that mining ninmian, then making work orders nets you more than buying coal, I think you're kidding yourself. I could be wrong.

Re: Makin money 08/21/2013 02:34 PM CDT
> ~5 minutes per work order

Wow, in what world does that happen?! I can get maybe 3 work orders carved in an hour. Unless they are all large ones.

- - -
~Dreamheart Delaevan Forestwolf
Broken Bard since January 19, 2013 - 2 Dolefaren 407
Re: Makin money 08/21/2013 02:52 PM CDT
>>And that's fine and dandy, but you have to include that time in your kronar/hour rate. If you think that mining ninmian, then making work orders nets you more than buying coal, I think you're kidding yourself. I could be wrong.

You're definitely wrong.

Half an hour of mining gets me enough niniam for 10+ work orders. Add in the fact that if it wasn't for me mining I'd be collecting dirt piles for my outdoorsmanship training, I have very little discomfort in the idea that I'm at least making money grinding that skill. Now, if you have zero interest in training outdoorsmanship on a daily basis, then it would be an additional cost of time, but I don't really see it that way since I'm doing something that until mining came out I was doing purely for exp and with no real profit addition at all.

Re: Makin money 08/21/2013 03:23 PM CDT
>>Wow, in what world does that happen?! I can get maybe 3 work orders carved in an hour. Unless they are all large ones.

I was off in my average, I just did 2 hours of work orders to check my numbers. It is closer to 12 minutes per work order including tool repair time (9 per without tool repair).

I averaged 2475 per work order in revenue.

I had to fix my tools about once every 3 work order at the cost of ~200 kronar per trip (stamp, bowl, stick, mortar, pestle, & sieve)

Re: Makin money 08/21/2013 04:01 PM CDT
>>You're definitely wrong.

As I said, it was possible.

The point still stands: at about 300 ranks give or take, hunting is better than alchemy for making money.

Re: Makin money 08/21/2013 04:10 PM CDT
>>The point still stands: at about 300 ranks give or take, hunting is better than alchemy for making money.

For alchemy, sure, but that's because of how remedy values are calculated. A lot of it is just based on the value of 1 volume of catalyst in the mix. Alchemy WOs would go for a lot more if you could add a lot more catalyst somehow.

Re: Makin money 08/21/2013 04:16 PM CDT
At around 300 combat ranks, I make more on 100-rank tailoring work orders than I do from hunting... not significantly more, but there's zero risk.
Re: Makin money 08/23/2013 12:05 AM CDT
Either skinning or locksmithing at the highest levels make incredible amounts of money incredibly quickly.

Also even with the combat slow down, at the highest levels as you enter the area of being waaaay more powerful than what you're hunting but still being waaaay less powerful than the next tier (or just not having another tier to go to) the kills start come incredibly quickly again.

Especially for those that hunt in groups of 3 or 4 (which also makes the high level spawn rates go nuts, in a good way).

To actually answer the questions:

Any Survival Prime is gonna dominate the cash flow since they'll learn skinning and/or locksmithing very quickly. Of course in the ultimate long run it wouldn't matter what guild as long as you keep working it.

Trader's make most of their money reselling items at their shops, buy low, sell high kinda thing. I mean that to include something like buying rare metals in bulk (cheap) and crafting it into a weapon/armor/tool and reselling it (high), or running quests and reselling endtable loot, or buying a lot of something from a limited item shop and hording it for a bit before giving it a nice mark up.

So... yes and no.

Depends on how good they are.

Re: Makin money 08/23/2013 02:58 AM CDT
>Either skinning or locksmithing at the highest levels make incredible amounts of money incredibly quickly.

I find skinning to usually be a far more reliable source of income, personally. Kinda sucks since I have a good 120 more locksmithing than skinning...
Re: Makin money 08/23/2013 10:46 AM CDT
>>niniam

is there a market for niniam, I find the stuff sometimes and just get rid of it.

If there is a market for niniam, what should the price be per volume?

I've been dumping, niniam, electrum, darkstone, silver, gold, platinum, muracite

If you could price the above metals for a 200 volume ingot, what would the prices be?

Thanks.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Makin money 08/23/2013 06:24 PM CDT
I pay the following for these metals (in platinum Kronar, per volume). This is what they are worth to me based on what I can get from them doing work orders. They might be valued differently by others.

0.1440 Silver
0.4160 Electrum
0.4640 Niniam
0.4640 Gold
0.4800 Lumium
0.9600 Platinum

I prefer to buy in bulk, i.e. 2000+ plats at a time. That works out to about 20ish 200-vol ingots, depending on metal.

IM me at Eyuve or email my play.net address if you're interested.

-- Player of Eyuve