Novice characters in 3.0 05/17/2013 07:18 AM CDT
I started a character a few weeks ago. No money help, no gear help, etc.

It's a barb. Level 11 or so, 50's in combat, hunting eels. I have managed to accrue about 8 gold.

This is as a guild which does nothing but hunt to level, so no spending tons of time crafting, or outside combat working magics/lore. That's a few weeks of basically standing in rats, goblins, eels, for 2-10 hours a day, and after repairs and heals, having less than a plat.

Given that the average cost of a forged basic steel weapon is 15 plat, and that armor is substantially more expensive, it would be nice to see either a small up tweak to the low level critter pay rates, to facilitate buying some nicer than store gear, or see a system worked in where new players/characters could earn enough money for a decent weapon.

For reference I used to be sitting on 2-3 plat by this point in a character progression, so the 3.0 kill slowdown has massively impacted new character money gen. I expect to have less than 10 plat graduating from sprites at post 100 ranks, at this rate.

Pants.
Re: Novice characters in 3.0 05/17/2013 08:33 AM CDT

I don't think your maxing your buffs if your killing things at that rate. I was pulling in a plat a day in eels post 3.0. As a barbarian, roaring and buffing.
Re: Novice characters in 3.0 05/17/2013 09:08 AM CDT
>I don't think your maxing your buffs if your killing things at that rate. I was pulling in a plat a day in eels post 3.0. As a barbarian, roaring and buffing.

The Ucu doesn't believe in buffing or using abilities to help him in a hunting scenario.
Re: Novice characters in 3.0 05/17/2013 09:09 AM CDT
<<The Ucu doesn't believe in buffing or using abilities to help him in a hunting scenario.>>

hmmm, well then.
Re: Novice characters in 3.0 05/17/2013 09:14 AM CDT
>>The Ucu doesn't believe in buffing or using abilities to help him in a hunting scenario.

I heard that the Ucu only practices persistence hunting.
Re: Novice characters in 3.0 05/17/2013 10:38 AM CDT
The Ucu does hunt on the forums. Beware!
Re: Novice characters in 3.0 05/17/2013 10:52 AM CDT
>I don't think your maxing your buffs if your killing things at that rate. I was pulling in a plat a day in eels post 3.0. As a barbarian, roaring and buffing.

Depends on your hunt time, 'a day' is sort of vague. I could easily pull in a full bundle if I hunted there 12 hours. And I'd agree that once you start getting to the later range, eels pay better. But until then, it's just lackluster going up through the critter ranks, and the 3.0 hit shows drastically, at least as someone who played a ton of noobs pre and post 3.0.

And while its neither here nor there, I do use roars and forms on the barb. So thanks for that. Only using monkey and deaths embrace because I'm building to swan, so I lack the obvious bear/dragon OF boosters. Not a lot I can do about that and character development should not hinge on singular abilities.

Pants.
Re: Novice characters in 3.0 05/17/2013 01:34 PM CDT
Wasn't one of the points of reducing the kill rate to reduce the rate that plats are accumulated? Also, it seems strange to me that there is an expectation that a 10th (or even 20th) circle should have (or even need) forged items.
Re: Novice characters in 3.0 05/17/2013 01:51 PM CDT
once you get into sand sprites, which you should go there now with 50s in combat, you will easily pull in a ton more money. i hunted sprites for a couple weeks and accumulated about 30 plat from their boxes.
Re: Novice characters in 3.0 05/17/2013 03:00 PM CDT
Are you crafting? I currently have a novice with 40ish skills where I do a couple work orders during my repair/healing downtime. He makes about a plat a day at this point.
Re: Novice characters in 3.0 05/17/2013 08:16 PM CDT

Its really easy to get the easier template weapons and armor items at lower prices if you look around and your willing to steer away from the popular, usually extremely difficult, templates. Its easier again if you are willing to accept outstanding or similar instead of masterful. There aren't any awful templates anymore and high level successes under masterful are still massively better than shop bought. There are also lots of other ways to make money outside of hunting now that didnt used to exist. Smelting, refining and selling on bronze and steel or skinning and curing goblin bones for example.
Re: Novice characters in 3.0 05/19/2013 10:38 AM CDT
Shameless Plug:

Ilithian Military Surplus is selling masterfully crafted lightened HC steel weapons in the Shard Plaza for around a plat per, depending on size.

- Starlear -