Ragge's locksmithing RACKET 04/17/2013 04:32 PM CDT
Seriously, is this ever going to be fixed? I just recently took 5 intercessor boxes to him and he charged me almost more than the value of the boxes(3ish plat per box).

After his plundering of the boxes and my wallet, I spent 16 plat getting them opened with a net return of about 2 plat, or 4 gold per box.

Also, Charisma does not seem to influence his 'fees' at all.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Ragge's locksmithing RACKET 04/17/2013 06:33 PM CDT
You gave him a box. He opened it. You still made money. Working as intended.

You want a cheaper way - train locksmithing or find a thief to open them for you.
Re: Ragge's locksmithing RACKET 04/17/2013 06:57 PM CDT
Think I'll just leave em on the floor - I mean there's people busting out of the woodwork who can reliably open 'em - 2, maybe 3? I wonder if they'll charge me a hospital bill when they roll critical failures on the face-melters?

I think these 'mythical' Locksmiths are even more mythical than the Empaths who just 'cant find anyone to heal'.

In all seriousness, not asking for them to be as profitable as having someone pop them, but maybe just being worth the effort of picking up.
Pretty please?

If not, can we burn his shop down? kthnx

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Ragge's locksmithing RACKET 04/17/2013 07:10 PM CDT
Loot treasure?

Pants.
Re: Ragge's locksmithing RACKET 04/18/2013 12:47 AM CDT
Found a bug with NPC-handled boxes. They aren't being disarmed after the Locksmith opens them. Damn thing's open and can still be DISARMed. This is also kind-of a problem because they can't be DISMANTLEd.

Re: Ragge's locksmithing RACKET 04/18/2013 07:38 AM CDT
Not sure that it's a bug. They're bosses. They don't have time for traps.
Re: Ragge's locksmithing RACKET 04/18/2013 10:31 AM CDT
He actually lost money taking them to the NPC locksmith. There are maybe two players who can open the boxes. Yes, he can just loot treasure but that doesn't address the issue of the NPC locksmith charging more than the box pays out.
Re: Ragge's locksmithing RACKET 04/18/2013 10:36 AM CDT
>>He actually lost money taking them to the NPC locksmith. There are maybe two players who can open the boxes. Yes, he can just loot treasure but that doesn't address the issue of the NPC locksmith charging more than the box pays out.

The OP? He said he netted about two plat. That's a terribly small amount, but not quite losing money.
Re: Ragge's locksmithing RACKET 04/18/2013 11:15 AM CDT
Ah. Misread it. Still a ridiculous price for 5 boxes.
Re: Ragge's locksmithing RACKET 04/18/2013 12:37 PM CDT
Do the boxes still one shot people in 3.0? Been a while since I checked but the only head-splitter box I found that was still deadly was the teleport trap.
Re: Ragge's locksmithing RACKET 04/18/2013 12:41 PM CDT
Plus I don't know if players even open boxes anymore - because there is no reason to do it (besides just wanting to help out) when a box popper can make more just by picking up their own boxes and opening theirs. If I opened those 5 boxes it would lock my skill.

The only way I see paying others for box opening making a valid come back is if you can do it extremely fast - like picking through the trap.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Ragge's locksmithing RACKET 04/18/2013 12:55 PM CDT
<<Plus I don't know if players even open boxes anymore - because there is no reason to do it (besides just wanting to help out) when a box popper can make more just by picking up their own boxes and opening theirs. If I opened those 5 boxes it would lock my skill.

Honestly, I think this is what really needs to be addressed here. there needs to be methods to train locksmithing without having to go collect boxes. Maybe it can be less effective than opening a box at level, but it's a huge hassle - so much so that some people just skip the skill altogether.

Ragge and other NPC locksmiths should (and from this small dataset, does) cut your profits from killing something down to 5-20% imo.

Nikpack
Re: Ragge's locksmithing RACKET 04/18/2013 01:36 PM CDT
>>like picking through the trap.

Good luck to anyone that tries to train locksmithing to the level it would take to do this with assassin+ boxes

>>there needs to be methods to train locksmithing without having to go collect boxes.

Bring back the door in the war mage fortress in Illithi?
Re: Ragge's locksmithing RACKET 04/18/2013 02:00 PM CDT
>>Good luck to anyone that tries to train locksmithing to the level it would take to do this with assassin+ boxes

Yeah that was the point - it is currently impossible

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
Re: Ragge's locksmithing RACKET 04/18/2013 02:28 PM CDT
I would probably open some of the boxes for free just for the lockpicking experience... but only if they aren't going to one-shot me for not having enough skill to do so. I'm currently hunting something that doesn't drop boxes so some kind of arrangement that would allow me to keep training locksmithing would be mutually beneficial.

I haven't tried anything harder than head-splitter boxes, but the only thing even remotely deadly there were the teleport traps. It's been a couple of months since I've done any boxes though, so this might have been fixed.
Re: Ragge's locksmithing RACKET 04/18/2013 02:30 PM CDT
>> Do the boxes still one shot people in 3.0? Been a while since I checked but the only head-splitter box I found that was still deadly was the teleport trap.

I've seen Raikage die twice to boxes this week.
Re: Ragge's locksmithing RACKET 04/18/2013 07:29 PM CDT

I've picked boxes for folks a couple times over at the pond. Typically its raider and down which I can do disarm quick/pick quick and yes, I lock far before the boxes finish but I feel like people tend to tip adequately for time involved. Having someone wait on me disarm a pack full of boxes careful isn't something that is fun though.

Jalika
Re: Ragge's locksmithing RACKET 04/18/2013 10:27 PM CDT
>Do the boxes still one shot people in 3.0? Been a while since I checked but the only head-splitter box I found that was still deadly was the teleport trap.

Since the traps do fixed bodypart damage, the ones that were lethal before are still lethal now.

And yeah, the locksmith NPCs are an insane ripoff, more times than not. Especially if it's a no-coin / single-gem box when they open it, because then you wind up paying a few plats for an empty box.
Re: Ragge's locksmithing RACKET 04/19/2013 02:15 PM CDT

Willing to take a crack at a couple intercessor boxes just out of curiosity. Been training boxes at level since forever, so if assassin's are doable now without much fanfare I'm curious where intercessors stand on the scary-meter. Find Osus IG if ya have a couple you wouldnt mind letting me die to? Thanks

-O
Re: Ragge's locksmithing RACKET 04/20/2013 07:17 PM CDT
Boxes most definately kill less. To the magnitude of 10x less or more.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
Re: Ragge's locksmithing RACKET 05/10/2013 08:01 PM CDT
Sendi can open intercessor boxes (just have to be careful with them, they're tricksy devils). And yes, whoever asked, boxes definitely can still one-shot kill people. I had a really bad streak of assassin boxes a couple weeks ago, and I was thankful yet again that my text is married to a Cleric.

I love picking boxes, and I'm hunting on M'riss now where there aren't any, so I generally am happy to get tackled by burdened Paladins or whoever when I set foot on the mainland.