Are all boxes created equal? 02/05/2013 11:34 AM CST
Or will some contain a better chance of treasure, more loot than others?
Re: Are all boxes created equal? 02/05/2013 11:44 AM CST
>>Or will some contain a better chance of treasure, more loot than others?

I bet if you think critically about the question, the answer to at least the 2nd part will be obvious.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Are all boxes created equal? 02/05/2013 11:45 AM CST
All boxes scale equally now. Before 2.0 there was a treasure tweak that normalized treasure rates for all mobs.

Let's say a critter has a "treasure score" of 1,000. Keep in mind these are all fictional numbers and explicitly meant to show how things can work in theory.

If a mob can only be skinned, its skin will rate 1,000.
If a mob only drops loose treasure, its treasure will rate 1,000.
If a mob drops both loose treasure and can be skinned, the skin might rate 500 and the treasure might rate 500.
If a mob drops boxes, the box will rate 1,000*
If a mob drops boxes and can be skinned, the skin might rate 500 and the box might rate 500.

*Boxes have their own modifier on top of this. So while the box might rate "1,000", boxes might get a 1.2 modifier (or something) so it ends up giving treasure for something that would rate 1,200, or whatever.
**Skins might have some modifier, too.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Are all boxes created equal? 02/05/2013 11:45 AM CST

If a creature is skin-able their boxes are lower in value than a similar ranked creature that also drops that difficulty of boxes but is not skin-able.

People have talked in the past about X creatures boxes give me more <scrolls/maps/other> than Y creatures boxes, but I'm really not sure, its not anything I've ever noticed.
Re: Are all boxes created equal? 02/05/2013 11:51 AM CST
>>People have talked in the past about X creatures boxes give me more <scrolls/maps/other> than Y creatures boxes, but I'm really not sure, its not anything I've ever noticed.

I don't agree with boxes being more likely to have stuff in them. I do feel like, similar to how some mobs are more prone to dropping boxes overall than others, some mobs are more prone to pulling items from the junk/random hopper than others.

IMO I've never hunted mobs that drop lots of runes that also in turn had lots of runes in their boxes. Treasure gen in boxes seems completely disconnected from mobs outside of the "rating" that the boxes get based on what dropped them.

Heck, there's still that bug/feature where treasure in a box spawns based on where you do whatever action ends up triggering the actual loot spawning in it. Critters are more likely to drop coins based on the province they're in. So a mob in Crossing will drop Kronars. But, say you kill a mob in Crossing that drops a box of treasure. That box, by the rule before, would have more Kronars than anything else. If you take the box to Shard and open it, it will have more Dokoras. If you take the box to Aesry and open it, it will have more Lirum. Go fig.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).