Now Hiring! 03/05/2009 05:43 PM CST
Do you like money? Don't answer, of course you do. How about easy money, the kind where you don't really have to do anything to get it? Careful now, think about this for a second. Would you like to be paid to do... nothing? Let me explain.

I find that I enjoy having a few extra plats to spend. I have also discovered that if you hit most critters hard enough with a sharp implement you can make coins fall out. I wish to possess these shiny bits, but unfortunately the sheer number of shinies that fall out of these critters can quickly become overwhelmingly heavy. That's not even counting boxes, which I've given up on entirely. It's no good to be happily swinging away at a plethora of pillaging pirates and suddenly realize you've picked up one silver too many, and now they can hit back!

Now, this would all be fine and good if I could leave everything on the ground and pick it up when it's time to rest. However, there's this dirty thief calling himself "the janitor" who regularly invades my hunting grounds to steal all the loot for himself! I've found I cannot fight him directly - yet - but I think with some assistance I can twart these thefts; that's where you come in.

I need someone - anyone will do - willing to come and sit on the Kree'la to gather up loot for me. All the job demands is honesty and willingness to sit in one place for long periods of time. You can train anything you want, hang out, whatever - I don't mind as long as you keep my loot safe from that scoundrel janitor. Pop the boxes if you like - there are a LOT of boxes - and keep a cut of whatever we find for yourself. Easy, right?

This isn't really an IC post, it's just me goofing around. The job offer's real though - I carry some really heavy weapons and armor around, and can't afford the evasion penalty burden adds, so a veritable ton of loot is lost daily to the janitor on the Kree. I don't pop boxes, so all boxes looted would go to the loot-holder(s) to open, if they can manage it. I used to get 10 plat on a round trip (2 hours) under the old treasure system, and that's leaving out the dozens of boxes I found. It's good money for a young character, and if you have things you can train while sitting still (music skills, lore skills, first aid) or if you're an empath who can heal me I think we can both benefit quite a bit from the arrangement. The offer is open to anyone at any time - just speak to me beforehand and whatever loot of mine you grab will be sold and split at whatever ratio we agree on as fair. You can come and go as you please, just make sure we divide up the loot first. Even having it stolen is better than letting the janitor get it, but Vashir will not be pleased if you take his stuff.

Contact me at VashirDR or find Vashir in-game if you're interested. Hint: He's on the Kree ;)

"Paper covers rock. Rock is fine! No structural damage to rock."
"If you drink enough beer, everything turns into a bed. Drink a little more and everything's a toilet."
-DM

"Peace is just an opportunity for everyone to reload."
-Vashir
Re: Now Hiring! 03/06/2009 06:49 AM CST
>>Loot, janitor, Kree

I never had problems with this on the Kree. The trick is to buy like...4 duffel bags, and carry many extra gem pouches. Fill a pouch, tie it, stick it in one of the duffel bags. Drop another duffel bag and use that one for boxes. Every time you get close to shore, gweth for a trader and a locksmith. Every time you hit shore, go to the bank and see if you can find someone to pop the boxes and sell the gems. If not, vault them on every other run (or every leg if you're premie and can do a vault transfer).

Every now and then the janitor grabs one of the duffel bags on the ground, but it's bloody rare, and if you're actually picking up your loot as you go, he doesn't generally get summoned anyway. Furthermore, with the LOOT verb, you don't even have to worry about boxes anymore if you don't want to.

Man, I might have to go back train a couple weapons on the Kree. Favorite hunting area due to a bug ever.

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: Now Hiring! 03/06/2009 02:46 PM CST
I tried the duffel bag thing for awhile, but I lose almost as much loot to forgetting the bags as I do just letting the janitor have it! Berksers also make it tricky to realize when the ship docks and get away from the pirate when it does. I thought this would be a fun solution to the problem if anyone showed interest in it.

I'm not hurting for coin, so the loot doesn't matter so much as the fun.

"Paper covers rock. Rock is fine! No structural damage to rock."
"If you drink enough beer, everything turns into a bed. Drink a little more and everything's a toilet."
-DM

"Peace is just an opportunity for everyone to reload."
-Vashir
Re: Now Hiring! 03/11/2009 02:01 PM CDT
I'm curious what skills you started with there, and how many pirates you could take at once?
Re: Now Hiring! 03/11/2009 03:30 PM CDT
>>I'm curious what skills you started with there, and how many pirates you could take at once?

It was after Swains and noodling a bit in hatchlings. I wasn't satisfied with the gen rate in there.

I'm just taking a stab without logs in front of me, but I think my TM was c.a. 155, melee weapons around 120-130, defenses around 100-120. WM, LC armor. I started out trying to keep 1-2 max at melee and ALAing the rest, as I didn't have any AoE spells to cope with them except Frostbite, which didn't do a whole lot for me crowd-control-wise (this was before the latest round of changes) compared to ALA at the same mana.

Hunting there really uppped my MO from rather deplorable levels, so I was gradually able to take on more pirates and kill faster, making it a real sweet hunting ground for the level as far as loot went.

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: Now Hiring! 03/11/2009 04:37 PM CDT
With 25 str and 25 agi you can start hitting them around 140 ranks in melee weapons without boosters. Ranged weapons hit much earlier and harder, because they have no shields. I've been keeping around four to six at melee pretty consistantly for the past 50 or so ranks of defenses, from 150 to 200, and they're still locking MO at 215 and all other defenses at lower ranks. The large multi penalty still allows them to hit me at around 195 evasion, 205 shield and 210 parry, but it might be a little easier on someone with less hindering armor - I just rely on the hits never going above glancing.

Unless you have a way to get out of or deal with multi situations effectively and on a constant basis, you should probably avoid the upper decks. Climbing the rungs on the main deck will bring you to a far less swarmy three-room area, however.

Weapon teaching is decent, but I don't think it will pick up for the melee weapons until 150 or so, when I can start hitting them harder and more regularly.

"Gene police! You, out of the pool!"

"Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain."

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory."
Re: Now Hiring! 03/11/2009 04:49 PM CDT
>With 25 str and 25 agi you can start hitting them around 140 ranks in melee weapons without boosters.

I started killing pirates (as a Trader) with 25 agi, 22 str and about 125 in ME, but it took a while. I probably had about 140 shield, 125 evasion, and was fine one on one with them.

Last time I was there, with about 160 shield, 140 MO, 150 evasion, and 25 reflex I was able to take 3 at a time at melee, 4 would start to get glancing hits. Never went back to test them after those ranks.

-Azhag
Re: Now Hiring! 03/12/2009 09:19 AM CDT
Looks like I could make the transition if I went to the less swarmy areas, but it would be quite painful.

Definitely a hunting ground I want to frequent later on though.
Re: Now Hiring! 03/12/2009 09:21 AM CDT
Pirates still advance to melee?
That was always a little bit of a problem for some of my chars. I would do alright with two or three, but than another two would come in and advance directly to melee, putting my counter at five and killing me most times. Swimming up to your corpse from the bottom of the ocean is not fun.

~
The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.
Joseph Heller, Catch 22
US novelist (1923 - 1999)