Benefit of Tasks? 09/03/2008 09:22 PM CDT
I've been playing GemstoneIV for a while and while I was away I guess the DR task system got put in?

How does it compare? Do you get any sort of experience rewards or is it purely money?

Can you request specific kinds of tasks right now?

All I've gotten so far from ASK GUILD FOR TASK is a simple delivery task, this was at circle 25.
Re: Benefit of Tasks? 09/03/2008 09:47 PM CDT
>>I've been playing GemstoneIV for a while and while I was away I guess the DR task system got put in?

Yes, recently in fact.

>>How does it compare? Do you get any sort of experience rewards or is it purely money?

It's mostly money. Any experience you get would be incidental- Though you're almost sure to get some from Kill or Foraging tasks, or maybe even a minuscule amount of perception from Search tasks.

>>Can you request specific kinds of tasks right now?

Not really. But if you know which NPCs give out which kinds of tasks, you can tilt the odds in your favor of getting a specific task. For instance, my chars don't ask Mags for a task during the winter because she sometimes gives Foraging tasks- for items that aren't even in season.

>>All I've gotten so far from ASK GUILD FOR TASK is a simple delivery task, this was at circle 25.

There are other NPCs you can talk to for tasks- for instance, Mags whom I mentioned before. Or the Urchin, the wandering minstrel, the beggar, and up in Riverhaven Maisie, the furrier, and the gem-buyer. Be a little careful of the last two: They sometimes give Kill Boss Critter tasks, and may not keep your actual skill level in mind.

Welcome back!

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Benefit of Tasks? 09/03/2008 09:49 PM CDT
>>All I've gotten so far from ASK GUILD FOR TASK is a simple delivery task, this was at circle 25.

Certain task masters give out certain types of tasks. Right now there are simple delivery tasks, foraging task, item retrieval tasks, Boss hunt tasks and so on. It's not quite a useful as the GSIV system in that currently, you only receive monetary rewards.

Check out http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Tasks for more detailed information.

GENT
Re: Benefit of Tasks? 09/03/2008 10:06 PM CDT
Rewards: currently all monetary, but the intent is to expand into items, titles, experience, and maybe even an RPA or similar item. No idea on when or exactly what, though, and like all such not-done hints it's still very possible the GMs have changed their minds on this or ran into other issues preventing its happening. Goes down based on total number of tasks overall, number of tasks of a certain type, and total number of tasks in a certain recent timeframe (6 hours?) Circle/skill might also play a role to force task rewards downwards. All of these factors also help raise the payment ceiling, as well, so it's a bit of a trade-off. Payment is based on risk factor as regards type of task, task amount, and distance. Traveling from Crossing to Riverhaven to deliver a package will pay more, but delivery tasks in general pay less than kill tasks.

NOTE: some tasks allow you to perform activities that net you experience. This is normal experience gain and is not part of the task system at all. Searching tasks, on the other hand, use actions that could/do teach experience but don't when used in the task system version (SEARCH to find hidden paths and hidden critters = skill/stat check = perception experience, SEARCH to find a dinner plate fragment that a friend of the urchin lost in field goblins = no check = no experience).

Tasks: randomly selected from the type pool associated with that NPC. For instance, Mags only gives foraging tasks while the urchin gives Kill, Searching, and Delivery tasks (maybe also recovery, can't recall if I ever got any from him or not) and seems to lean a lot towards kills. You don't get the choose, but you can DECLINE and ASK again in 20-30 seconds.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: Benefit of Tasks? 09/03/2008 11:36 PM CDT
Hmm yeah.

I really would like the system to allow players to gain points toward a certain group or for rewards. Like the Adventurer's Guild/Bounty System in GSIV.

I dunno, maybe a task-currency only shop or something or a type of Order/group that you gain a sort of reputation with.

I can't say for sure but it would seem currently you make much more money from normal hunting than running a task-based hunt. But I've never tried- but I can only imagine it won't pay a couple plat.
Re: Benefit of Tasks? 09/04/2008 02:52 AM CDT
<<I really would like the system to allow players to gain points toward a certain group or for rewards. Like the Adventurer's Guild/Bounty System in GSIV.

Agreed. I was hoping a much more similar system to GS's Adventurer's Guild/Bounty System would be implemented. But a major difference between GS and DR that I've noticed is that magical and special items are much more common in GS than DR. Whether it's intended or not, I do not know. But it is noticeable.

Nikpack
player of Celeiros

Climbing List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Climbing_skill
Swimming List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Swimming_skill

And while I am evil, I try to avoid being just plain mean.
-Z