How does the task system gauge characters? 08/26/2008 08:04 PM CDT
Does anyone happen to know what criteria the task system bases how it assigns tasks?

Is it as simple as what circle someone is (not good in my opinion) or more complex and based on a system check of a specific skill or multiple skills (better idea, again in my opinion)?

For example, if a 50th barbarian asks for a combat task, are they assigned that task based on their circle or their highest weapon and/or defensive skill?
Re: How does the task system gauge characters? 08/26/2008 08:41 PM CDT
>For example, if a 50th barbarian asks for a combat task, are they assigned that task based on their circle or their highest weapon and/or defensive skill?

My understanding is that it is entirely circle based.
Re: How does the task system gauge characters? 08/26/2008 08:46 PM CDT
>>My understanding is that it is entirely circle based.

Largely, but not always. For instance, I still have Fresh-from-the-CM chars told to go kill cougars. And that's not going to happen!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: How does the task system gauge characters? 08/26/2008 10:03 PM CDT
>Largely, but not always. For instance, I still have Fresh-from-the-CM chars told to go kill cougars. And that's not going to happen!

And how does that prove that it isn't based on circle?
Re: How does the task system gauge characters? 08/26/2008 10:10 PM CDT
Kill tasks = weapon skill of weapon in your right hand (or brawling, if empty) as far as I know (I'm not remembering Obseden saying any different, if things changed). Not weapon + all other combat considerations, and not weapon + hunting area considerations, not circle.

Searching/delivery = pure fluff = no skill whatsoever = totally random (on your end, at least, though I don't think there's any personality or relationship features to task-givers).

Skinning tasks have something weapon-based and probably include skinning skill, but I'm not sure if it's as one-dimensional as kill tasks. Actually skinning your kills is totally optional, however, so these might just be kill tasks limited to skinnable critters with a skinning condition attached rather than using actual skinning skill to determine the target.

Recovery tasks seem to be kill tasks with a twist.

Boss tasks? Dunno, haven't gone on any yet. From the outside looking in, they appear to be kill tasks with a recovery-like function that produces another, harder critter.

Foraging tasks don't appear to consider any other factor other than foraging skill, but whether this is pure foraging skill or foraging+perception I don't know (I figure it's the latter, as it was updated to better work with foraging 2.0 not too long after TASK was released).

Search and delivery are pure fluff, so there's no reason to include skill/circle in regards to your task content. Totally random, as far as I know.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: How does the task system gauge characters? 08/26/2008 10:22 PM CDT
<<My understanding is that it is entirely circle based.>>

that would be incorrect.

my MM in prime is a few higher circle than my barbarian in prime.<37th vs 35th> My MM gets sent to kill beisswurms. My barbarian gets sent to kill snow goblins or hatchlings. Which are definately harder than beisswurms. I believe it is based on highest weapon skill. My commoner has also gotten progressively harder critters in the task system as her weapon skills have gotten higher.

<<Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror. - Lorz>>
Re: How does the task system gauge characters? 08/26/2008 10:33 PM CDT
Sorry for the misinformation, I've only played with the tasks a few times.
Re: How does the task system gauge characters? 08/26/2008 10:54 PM CDT
Oh awesome, this is great news then. Setting it to be based on skills vrs. circle just makes sense, especially with DR. And no worries about the misinformation at all. I appreciate all the responses.
Re: How does the task system gauge characters? 08/27/2008 06:19 AM CDT
I have yet to find an NPC that assigns tasks.

Defender Farluk Zoulvaun of the Monks, an Elven Moon Mage
Re: How does the task system gauge characters? 08/27/2008 08:16 AM CDT
I have yet to find a reason to find an NPC that assigns tasks.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
Re: How does the task system gauge characters? 08/27/2008 08:19 AM CDT
Any of the Guild leaders in Haven or Crossing, Mags, Old blind beggar, and maybe the minstrel. Maisie also assigns task.
Re: How does the task system gauge characters? 08/27/2008 11:19 AM CDT
additionally the urchin in crossing, and the gem seller and peltbuyer in haven.

syntax is...

Ask <nameofnpc> for task...

<<Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror. - Lorz>>
Re: How does the task system gauge characters? 08/27/2008 12:31 PM CDT
One additional comment Cemm, Obseden did mention that it isn't mandatory that that character do the task, but they must be the character that turns the item(s) over. So yes, you can be and are given some tasks beyond your character's abilities.

Last time I checked in Haven (in Plat) all the tasks I was offered required me to go to Crossing if I accepted.

Asbhuan
Re: How does the task system gauge characters? 08/27/2008 12:45 PM CDT
>>One additional comment Cemm, Obseden did mention that it isn't mandatory that that character do the task, but they must be the character that turns the item(s) over. So yes, you can be and are given some tasks beyond your character's abilities.

When he said this, he was referring to foraging/skinning tasks. You don't even need to go DO the task, so long as you have the proper amount and type of requested item. I made lots of money on Mags like this, back when foraging tasks weren't so robust in items. I was able to guarantee all such tasks were sticks, so I just went and foraged up hundreds of them at a time then sat there for hours asking for and completing tasks as fast as I could give Mags sticks.

>>Last time I checked in Haven (in Plat) all the tasks I was offered required me to go to Crossing if I accepted.

Plat might still be different, but Obseden did have that changed so that the cross-province tasks not only paid more but were a bit more rare.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: How does the task system gauge characters? 08/27/2008 12:56 PM CDT
What we did early on in Plat tests went out the window to a large degree with the various adjustments. Early on I was able to be offered kill tasks (Asbhuan is an Empath). Obseden's comments extended beyond just foraging/skinning tasks. Since I'm playing an Empath 99% of the time I no longer get offered kill tasks even if/when I want one, so I can't speak to those any longer.

Asbhuan