Miniquests. 05/24/2006 04:13 PM CDT
Miniquests.

Mostly for new players. For now.

Miniquest A: Rat invasion.

Involves putting some sort of person, other than Barana in the shipyards.
Similar to how Mags works. Quest can be done multiple times until circle X or
a set number of times. This definite would depend on prizes and rarity of said prizes.

Newb goes up to NPCBill. The problem with being a text based game, is that how will someone know
if NPCBill needs help? No question or exclaimation marks here. I propose something similar to the
Modus Operandi delivery system. There, once you walk in the building a sign and a bell prompt you
to your cue. So, we'll say NPCBill has a large bell on a counter and a nice HELP WANTED sign that
lets you know that there's a rat infestation.

The quest could work two ways. 1 - killing the same thing over and over with no progression or 2 -
killing the same thing over and over with varying degrees of requirement that allows you to progress.

I'll be opting for 2.

So, you ask NPCBill what's up and he's like, OH DUDE WE GOT MAD RATS. Or you know, something. Which
brings us to:

Miniquest A: Rats
Tier 1: Kill 10 rats.
Tier 2: Bring me 20 rat pelts

I really can't think of anything else you can do with rats, but this gives you an idea of what these
types of progressive miniquests could look like. Once you complete all the tiers of rats, NPCBill
could direct you to the next set of miniquests. Optional of course. But, it could be a handy way
of helping newbs learn the game and what and where they should go next when NPCBill says "Oh I don't have
anything for you, but I hear the Zoluren Sentry outpost near the West Gate of town may need some help."

Or whatever.

Prizes would of course vary depending on what Quest and what tier of the quest you're doing. Coin, cheap items that are good for newbs, etc would all be welcome, I think.

Anyway.

AIM: Huldahs Pal
Re: Miniquests. 05/24/2006 04:27 PM CDT
According to the 06 Goals this is in the works...so it'll be here "soon".

>>Development of reusable "Prop Driven" Events (AKA Task/Job System "Go find 15 of X items and take them to So-and-so.")

To see other dreams that may or may not come true...

http://www.play.net/dr/news/2006/goals.asp

Megan
Re: Miniquests. 05/24/2006 04:33 PM CDT
>>>Development of reusable "Prop Driven" Events (AKA Task/Job System "Go find 15 of X items and take them to So-and-so.")

Right, but I'm more concerned with it for new players, basically.

Gemstone has a little sprite thing that's pretty annoying, and I was trying to think of a less annoying way to help new players get acquainted etc. Since I don't know much about the proposed system, I don't know if it'll help new players or not - so I thought I would post some ideas.

Won't do it again, I swear.

Re: Miniquests. 05/24/2006 04:38 PM CDT
could just put quests in the dir command, they said adventurer guild right, so is that where we get the quests?

dir quest
the directions to the adventurer guild are as follows: north, blah, blah, blah, go adventure guild.

--
Treat empaths with respect, you'll live longer
--
http://people.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=5198137
Re: Miniquests. 05/24/2006 04:39 PM CDT
>could just put quests in the dir command, they said adventurer guild right, so is that where we get the quests?

Something like that would be good for newbs. I forget though, does any of the NPCs or game messaging tell you about DIR?

Re: Miniquests. 05/24/2006 04:44 PM CDT
yah, used ta be annoying advice messages till you got old enough or figured out how to turn it off, then there's the mentors that teleport to you or something like that, they usually tell new players

--
Treat empaths with respect, you'll live longer
--
http://people.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=5198137
Re: Miniquests. 05/24/2006 05:58 PM CDT
Make me a turkey pot pie.

Trebber

It is intended to be a game, and while it never made sense for me to be able to bounce across the rainbow road or whatever it was called when I played Candyland, it never stopped me from doing it and enjoying the game.
Re: Miniquests. 05/25/2006 03:08 AM CDT
>Make me a turkey pot pie.

I missed the spell for that. Or maybe a new wand?
Re: Miniquests. 05/25/2006 06:27 AM CDT
You could have NPCBill muttering about the rats in his yard every so often. Code a couple different messages so that he's not just sitting there repeating himself over and over.

This sounds like a great player run event idea, so much so that I might steal it and organize an event for 5th circle and under through Mentors.

Gladiator Maulem~Event Chief, Lorethew Mentor Society
[Lystid] Do you know the two most important words a married man knows?
>think Itwasn'tme, IsweartoKuniyo?

Come join the werewolf legions!
http://s1.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=12199
Re: Miniquests. 05/25/2006 09:12 AM CDT
I believe the DIR command is either given to you in the character manager, along with WEAL, HEAL,INV, HELP and INFO; or it is spoken about by the NPC within Jadewater.

And the idea for mini-quests for newbies - and others - is a good one.

I believe it would probably be easier to code to bring 10 rat pelts <similar to the gauthus aether pathways quests> than to kill 10 rats. There probably should be some type of alternative "quest" or something for empaths though, if you predicate it on killing something.

Or, perhaps you could set it up along 2 tracks. a Combat quest or a non-combat quest. For the non-combat perhaps you could forage something <a newbie would have to be given an idea on where to go to forage it, or delivery type task.

The delivery task would be similar to initiation=thief quest in a certain town, where the newbie is given the task of taking a package from one location/shop/npc to another. This would give the newbie information on where to go to get weapons, armor, herbs, clothes, hats, etc.

Once this is in place, it could be expanded upon for the older/skilled folks. Corresponding rewards would be higher. There could also be "illegal" type quests similar to another thief guilds initiation quest, which would obviously be thief=bonused = but others could attempt as well.
Along the same lines, there could also be a magical quest that wouldn't depend entirely on magic, but would depend on magical devices skill that non-mages <thieves and traders> could attempt.

The aforementioned 2 examples could also be made interactive with the skill=based title system, in other words there might be titles obtained ONLY by completing the tasks.

Tasks would be more difficult for the older character - whereas beginner task would stay in one city/ province, harder ones might require more travel, akin to the empath shift quest or some of the bard quests.

Da gonif

"Word on the street is, ya been lookin' out for the best interests of the Guild."
Re: Miniquests. 06/01/2006 10:52 AM CDT
<Make me a turkey pot pie.

Trebber>

Am I the only one who pictures Trebber in a deep-dish pie shell? =) --Arhia

"The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug." --Mark Twain
Re: Miniquests. 06/01/2006 10:57 AM CDT
<<--Arhia

Rawr

Trebber

It is intended to be a game, and while it never made sense for me to be able to bounce across the rainbow road or whatever it was called when I played Candyland, it never stopped me from doing it and enjoying the game.
Re: Miniquests. 06/12/2006 04:31 PM CDT
A little late...

>Am I the only one who pictures Trebber in a deep-dish pie shell?

MmmmMMMmmm! Trebber pie.

>I've always found it irritatingly interesting that so many (of every single race) claim to be orphans in Elanthia. ~ Bambina