Job 07/09/2002 02:24 PM CDT
Let me FARM dag nabit! C'mon Sulrin, you know ya wanna hand me a scythe and a basket and send me into the fields fer a bushel of wheat!<grins> IM quite serious BTW, Farming is a simple, if time-consuming job. Would be seasonal, let Traders grab a yak and go plowing fields, that sorta thing.

Canten
Re: Job 07/10/2002 05:56 AM CDT

I think it'd be neat to shepherd a flock of sheep and goats out to pasture. Shear the wool, sell it off.
Re: Job 07/10/2002 09:08 AM CDT
One day I met a girl who wanted to be a hatmaker. Perhaps she could get a job in one of the clothing stores?

Ryeka
Re: Job 07/10/2002 10:59 AM CDT
I want to be a chef.

Steel.
Re: Job 07/10/2002 03:15 PM CDT
>I want to be a chef.

Yum! Do I get to be your first vic- er, custommer?

Ryeka
Re: Job 07/11/2002 04:39 PM CDT
Does anyone know, or can you tell me, Sulrin...Are these jobs going to be guild, race or clan specific, along with some general ones? I have some ideas but they are specific for the type of character.

Thanks in advance,

Bryan
Re: Job 07/11/2002 05:13 PM CDT
>>Does anyone know, or can you tell me, Sulrin...Are these jobs going to be guild, race or clan specific, along with some general ones? I have some ideas but they are specific for the type of character.

From what I understand, pretty much anything goes. The first jobs will be targeted at the youngsters in the Realms, but eventually they will exist for most anyone, and there have been many suggestions made that include more specific targets than just everyone.

Kyn
Re: Job 07/11/2002 07:30 PM CDT
There will eventually be jobs for everyone. Guild, Race, Citzenship, Town, Province, General, Combinations of these, and whatever else I can think up.

Probably the most time consuming, but also the most fun, part of this system, is actually making the jobs. Which is why you will be seeing jobs aimed at newbies first. I want Jobs out there that will teach players new to the Realms where things are, how to use commands, how to interact, etc. And then, once these jobs are out there, I can start in on the other jobs that are pure fun.

Sulrin
Jobs and Attributes? 07/12/2002 02:42 AM CDT
Charisma charisma charisma charisma!

That make sense? Good! :: grin ::

-Pilf
Re: Job 07/15/2002 08:55 AM CDT
I think this is an absolutely fantastic system being set up here, and I just wanted to thank everyone who's working on it.

I'm especially pleased that Dirge seems to be the starting area for this, as I live in Dirge but never really had a reason to spend time there.

Thanks again.

-Fyriestorme
Smuggling Jobs 07/15/2002 10:44 PM CDT
I know you are mostly doing low-end "jobs" right now. This is something however for the higher-end folks.

For Thieves and Traders working in unison. Would take approx 50th circle for both guilds to get these assignments.

Trader PC would talk to certain NPCs known to be close to the guild of shadows.

Thief PC would have to "vouch" for the trader. <sorta how something else works in the Thiefly world--its There already--would just have to code it in this situation too>

Trader would be assigned to get a certain item from a certain shop and take it to a shop in a different city
hey, the weapon shops in Riverhaven and Crossing might be rivals--so would want to "borrow" the others inventory.

The actual "obtaining" of the item would be up to the Thief.

The item would then be given to the trader--who would have to Load it on a caravan. The caravan would have to be similar to the "kregs" on Aesry--which allow for player loading. Perhaps a special crate would be added for this similar to the commodities system.

The trader and the thief then would have to take the item to the destination shop.

On route--there might be a random "guard" that would check for smugglers. The Trader would have to use his Speculation skills to fasttalk them out of any suspicions, while the Thief would try to "take out" the guard--the thief would have to do it quietly or an alarm would go out to other guards. <in other words, backstab>.

Once at the destination shop, the trader would sell the crate to the shopkeeper.

Trader would learn trading. Thief would learn stealing. Both would learn at higher rates because of the risk involved.

Schvartz/Bags
Re: Smuggling Jobs 07/16/2002 08:51 AM CDT
Nice suggestion, Gonif!

Ryeka, almost pondering turning in her clerical robes for a caravan
Re: Job 07/18/2002 09:46 AM CDT
Aye this is a great idea for the young'n, to help them in anyway to learn the game a little better and then apply it. Just one thing is there anyway to say have free passage for the young'n say when they have to pay for a ferry and or lift? Just a thought.

Takei
Jobs for youngin rangers 07/27/2002 09:38 PM CDT
1. I want a shwubbery!

2. I want another shwubbery, but a little taller to offset the first shwubbery...

3. Chop down the tallest tree in the forest with.............................................a herring!

Ellyendil (who owns way too many Monty Python movies)
Re: Jobs for youngin rangers 07/27/2002 09:51 PM CDT
>1. I want a shwubbery!

You shall not pass until you give us a shrubbery!

-Seldaene
Re: Jobs! 07/28/2002 03:01 AM CDT
>And yes Trazier, that is exactly the point of this system. To provide something different to do within the realms beyond just training for the next circle, or slaughtering thousands of poor critters.

oh, dung! and here I thought I'd found a place to higher people for my ingame monop.... errr...business.

-Sircha
Re: Jobs for youngin rangers 07/29/2002 04:16 PM CDT
A herring?! It simply can not be done.

Drizst Who has seen way too much Python
Re: Jobs for youngin rangers 07/29/2002 10:48 PM CDT
<<A herring?! It simply can not be done.>>

Oh please?

~Sypria. . who's laughing hysterically. .
Re: Jobs for youngin rangers 07/30/2002 08:42 AM CDT
::Ryeka hastily puts her coffeecup on the nearest coaster and sits laughing!::
Re: Job 07/31/2002 03:40 PM CDT
Hey I wanna be able to cook too. How about making all quadrapeds carvable? we can finally make a little more use of the foragable herbs and the stove now.

ie. boar meat + sage gives you medalions of boar meat seasoned with a hint of sage.

Let us have a way to create some of the food items instead of just buying or ick finding the nasty goblin food :-)

I'm prydaen and I like to eat my food live but not everyone has a strong enough stomach. ;-) Let me carve and eat it raw but I'll cook it very nicely for the rest of the realms.

*Ponders sitting in the guild all day while people bring him exotic meats from all over the realms to experiment on*
Re: Job 07/31/2002 07:17 PM CDT
cooking would be a system in and of itself. A job involving cooking would be more along the lines of say going to an inn.. asking the NPC for a job.. and being asked to work in the kitchen for a span of time. That is where this system would come in :)

Might talk to Fial over in the substances folders about cooking though. It's a cool idea :)

Sulrin
Re: Jobs for youngin rangers 08/01/2002 03:00 AM CDT
Since I'm currently the only sane person on this thread...

How about setting them up with a Guide job.

They're paid X amount to show an NPC-type to certain locations around Crossing.

This job can grow with the Ranger, as well, to include wilderness locations, ways to other cities, etc.

Just a thought

-Chris, player of Mad Mage Kilan
Re: Job 08/07/2002 05:32 AM CDT
Just a thought here but there are so many places in the realms that need refurbishment(dirge and the clerics guild in ratha come to mind).I could easily see these areas allowing many jobs for all level players.I could see a gang of wormen repairing the guild in ratha.than in come higher circles with diverse skills(foraging for gardeners,PM for clerics to set spells on certain parts of the guild or blessing the altar).these would both allow jobs for everyone as well as improve some areas that just look sad.
Re: Job - typo 08/07/2002 12:11 PM CDT
>>I could see a gang of wormen repairing the guild <<

Now is this a typo of 'workmen' or 'women'? <g>
Ideas for Jobs hope you like. 08/14/2002 07:45 PM CDT

How about couriors for shardstar shipping and maybe shipment requests for supplies to the traders outposts and guilds. With the traders guild one they got to get the request for (items) from Dirge for example to Rock clan where the supplies are. Make it a multi guild job seeing as the traders would most likly be too tied up to deliver the requests themselves. With shardstar shipping packages could be carried from office to office. Maybe make some these jobs involve having a horse. Would make messenger satchels alittle more useful and horses too. Just a few ideas.

Ibec Alshaerd
Jobs Idea 09/29/2002 07:04 AM CDT
I'm not really that bothered about jobs, I've got oppinnions in the creation areas that I'll share later that would remove the need for new work. Buy anyway..

If you take a look at Diablo, there are special characters/critters, They have names and are usually harder than the normal ones of their race. Maybe in DR you could set a task like hunt down Goblin Deadeye and return with proof of his death.
Combat orientated I know but it's just a thought.

My point about the creation system is basically that older characters shouldn't be able to sell to younger ones. It would be a VERY hard rule to enforce, I think you'd be more relying on the elders just taking a back seat and being kind, maybe get the younger ones to pay them.
That way we could have forgers for every 10 circles for example. Not just a select few dominating the market. The quality of the younger players products wont be as good by far but it would be more realistic and open more oppurtunities for more people.

Like I say, maybe it'd be best just to ask older players to step aside because it would be easy to avoid any rules/mechanics put in place.

Kallarn Haark, wanting to see more people getting use out of the excellent creation systems.

P.S>Maybe even make an NPC that will buy weapons from the players for a reasonable price so that the younger ones can make some profit (would have to be limited in a similar way to Mags).
Haven Young'un Job 09/30/2002 04:26 PM CDT

The Noble Inn can hire freelance fisherfolk to go to the Sylvan Creek and trap some crayfish for their menu. Crayfish must be brought in alive. The restaurant would loan you some trapping equipment.
Thought On Jobs 02/17/2003 12:06 AM CST
Wouldn't it be nice if jobs could also expand one's knowledge of Elanthia while practicing them, just like Terran (Earth, i.e. Real Life) jobs do? This could be in various ways, extending beyond just acquiring more experience in a skill. I could imagine the benefits of apprenticing oneself to an alchemist... they would be most lucrative in terms of knowledge gained, as an example. This could tie in with other systems, as well, allowing a few of the secret intricacies of them to be revealed through this path...

-Seldaene

"The Mystery of Life"
Vol. 841, Chap. 26
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu!
This is the truth!
This is my belief!
... at least for now.
R0xx0rin B0xxorin Job Idea! 02/20/2003 08:09 PM CST

Personally, I think there should be an advanced job system in the realms....

The job could be based on which guild you're in.

The job could give small skill, and there could be types of promotions for your skill in something. Perhaps they put you to work in a small shop. You get small mech lore gains (not asking for mindlocked here) and get paid low at first. However, the higher mech lore skill you have, the higher pay you get.

Just an idea. Any more thoughts?

Piatchi
Re: R0xx0rin B0xxorin Job Idea! 02/22/2003 09:43 AM CST
I like this idea, Solomon is currently working on this, per vegascon. And when the mech lore skill splits it will split into different skill sets, I don't remember the different ones.

Genneron

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the Safety Labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.
Re: Thought On Jobs 03/04/2003 12:23 PM CST
<<Wouldn't it be nice if jobs could also expand one's knowledge of Elanthia while practicing them, just like Terran (Earth, i.e. Real Life) jobs do? This could be in various ways, extending beyond just acquiring more experience in a skill. I could imagine the benefits of apprenticing oneself to an alchemist... they would be most lucrative in terms of knowledge gained, as an example. This could tie in with other systems, as well, allowing a few of the secret intricacies of them to be revealed through this path...>>

Sort of like how peasants and serfs got to tour the world in the good old day... or the globe trotting fast food fry cook. Just playing devil's advocate here, so don't take offence. I like the idea of a job system in DR, especially as a RP tool and a good way to get new players familiar with the world and introduced to senior players. However, most jobs back then did not expand the world view of people. On the contrary it was an industry reliant on small markets based on barter and local need, even physicians were paid with chickens into the early 20th century. Since, I don't want to turn this into an arguement on historic economic systems I will end this here. It is just being an "adventurer" is the key part to being seperate from the common populace, and it is through a "non-traditional" career that a character would be exposed to the larger world (pumping the bellows or plowing the fields for 12 hours a day does not leave a lot of time to go on adventures and still have a job).

I like the apprentice idea but how many apprentices can there be? Not to risk having this tossed to another folder but what about circle 0, pre-guild professions, maybe based on race and starting location (I am sure there is differences in the economies of Riverhaven and the Crossings). This could be a good way to get rid of some of the debt incurred at the beginning of one's career and give a player the opportunity to gain some skills before choosing a guild, or even the may want to choose a non-guild route.

ok, now I am rambling.
Lomelinde the Difficult.
Re: Thought On Jobs 03/08/2003 08:08 AM CST
>Sort of like how peasants and serfs got to tour the world in the good old day

You are completely missing the point of my post, as that was not it.

-Seldaene

"The Mystery of Life"
Vol. 841, Ch. 26
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu!
This is the truth!
This is my belief!
... at least for now.
Re: Thought On Jobs 03/08/2003 12:52 PM CST
I don't think I missed the point of your post. I think it would only be appropiate to have the job options at circle 0 or very low circles (5 at the most) since each guild appears to be receiving a niche in the big world around them it would seem unnecessary to have extra jobs for guilded characters.

Do I think that it would help roleplaying if there were jobs... yes, almost definitely. But the job should be a major part of the character's time, as training and productive activities should be for a guilded character.
If a guilded character wants to learn more about alchemy or forging or crafting it would be a hobby if they are dedicated to their guild and advancement within.

Now if there was an outlet for characters that could not craft a perfect suit of leathers, or cap a suit of plate, but still sell thier goods. I believe I had seen it posted before why couldn't someone who could only forge an average weapon sell it to a local merchant. Why not utilize existing outlets to create this vocational calling for guilded characters? Why couldn't low level traders sell average wares from lower skilled characters too... well those 0-5 circle characters working thier odd jobs to make ends meet, pay thier debt and get equiptment?

When the field is leveled and all guilds have a money skill like forging and making gweths I think that there will be those avenues you want, or atleast a way to facilitate them. I think higher circle characters can make good mentors for others, that way RPing remains RPing, character interacting with character.

I am not trying to argue with you. And I am not missing your view, just offering other views without restating yours. I know you just gave your thoughts on the topic. I am trying to help give options to turn thoughts into actions. I think we are seeing the same playground but just standing next to different swings.

Lomelinde the Incoherant
Jobs and Simucon 06/08/2003 08:07 AM CDT
I think somewhere was mentioned that Solomon had no reason to give out a list of available jobs etc.

I'm probably rambling been up too long.

also, was wondering what

JOBS AND US

What are the things we can expect from this system?

"Now, now my good man, this is no time for making enemies."

-Voltaire, on his deathbed in response to a priest asking that he renounce Satan.
Re: Jobs and Simucon 07/08/2003 03:32 AM CDT
I'm not sure I quite understand what you're trying to say/ask, but if I'm not mistaken you're asking about the career system. Information and opinions are now being posted in the DR2 folder, as the career system will be a DR2 release. I'm not entirely sure what purpose this board continues to serve, but I'm fairly certain that's what you're looking for.

Spart
Jobs... 02/28/2008 12:18 PM CST
Are jobs still planned on being released along with the mech split or have they been scrapped?
Re: Jobs... 02/28/2008 03:22 PM CST
If you are referring to Careers, that's gone for good. They ran into technical problems that prevented the original proposal from working at all, so they tried to save it by coming up with the Home Lore thing. More technical issues (biggest issue was that they didn't have enough unused skill slots for everything they wanted to do) arose that killed that idea as well, so now at the moment we're sitting on the current Creation Lore = exclusively Lore idea. Details about that can be found in the new Lore category rather than being hashed out yet again in here.

If you are referring to tasks, those are already out and they don't teach anything at all (what you learn is what you would learn doing the same things outside of the task system.)

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Jobs... 03/02/2008 03:50 AM CST
Regarding the task system, I agree that the "task" does not teach you anything directly, but the skills one uses to complete the tasks really do some excellent training, at least for one at the lower end of the circle scale as I am. The task system has been a rather useful game feature for developing my character's skills.
Re: Jobs... 03/02/2008 08:36 PM CST
>>the "task" does not teach you anything directly

This my be true of an old player with a new toon, but for the truely new player/character it helps learn the town very well. Besides being fairly easy coin at very low levels, I assumed this was an intended side affect.

--Player of many, master of none--