Reputation? Honesty?... Both at a time? 07/08/2002 02:37 AM CDT
Making my last post, I had to think... is there any chance to make this system rewarding for jobs that almost directly oppose your view of life?...

Like you'd need a good rep to start in the gemshop as a thief, and temptations might lurk, but you proved yourself honest enough to get the job there, and if you resist temptation, you'll get an even higher reputation.. (And maybe eventually be able to 'lose' a sack of gold coins in that wagonload, and blame it on the bumps in the road, and have nobody question your shining pillar of virtue reputation)

It'd have to be things that are opposed to your guild, or horribly tempting for example...

Bards would have to go to a bar and clean out the casks, kegs and tankards and such of the establishment... Watch people get all sloshed and party around em, start singing out gibberish, and resist the urge to join them.

Barbarians would have to tend a flower or herb garden (Where HAHA! TOG MAKE ROCK GO SMASH ON YOU!!!!! Just wouldn't work), while not uprooting the daisies from last year. Maybe storybook time at the local orphanage.... Heh, maybe that's too evil though.

Paladins would have to do squirely kinds of stuff... muck out stables, dress someone ELSE'S horse, take care of THEIR riding tack, and so on. (Best I could think of, paladins have to face degrading work to prove themselves in their guild already... historically anyway)

Empaths would work in the tannery, taking dead pelts and scraping them free of all the dirty nasty rotting flesh, as the aroma of DEATH just swells all around them.

Warrior mages would have to transport items to and from certain areas (Say, a shipment of cambrinth, naphtha, and/or runestones from theren, to seeriak's shop in shard)... something woefully boring that would just entice them to grab a runestone or two, and the lack of combat would let their minds wander into 'Man, I wish I had one of these'... Or lecture a group of novice barbarians with their weapon abilities, all the while biting their tongues at the degrading 'magic sux' comments the novices would be throwing about.

Moon mages would have to lead a group on a long march somewhere to get something. (With caravans, thus stopping the moon gate, and thus, making it suicidally boring... again, jobs to grow into)

Traders would have to go out and earn a real living. (So... you're a trader... Want to impress me? Go hunt a bounty instead of a contract, this stone gargoyle killed so and so, etc. etc.)

Rangers... hmmm.... I know.... Masonry! Long hours in the sweltering city under a hot son.. That'd show some jobly dedication if you and your raccoon were drinking from a cool spring under some trees just this morning prior.

Clerics.... well.... Clerics.... Hmmm... Maybe make em hold informative lessons on the teachings of the gods.... Mind you, that's the teachings OF THE GODS.... not OF THEIR GOD... (which is where the temptation would come into play)

Thieves, well, that one was already covered.... Go boil yourself up some abrasive and some smooth polish, then make this sapphire SPARKLE DAMMIT!!!...

-Trazier 'Did I miss anyone?' Zier.
Re: Reputation? Honesty?... Both at a time? 07/08/2002 02:40 AM CDT
>>Like you'd need a good rep to start in the gemshop as a thief, and temptations might lurk, but you proved yourself honest enough to get the job there, and if you resist temptation, you'll get an even higher reputation.. (And maybe eventually be able to 'lose' a sack of gold coins in that wagonload, and blame it on the bumps in the road, and have nobody question your shining pillar of virtue reputation)

Just to tack on as an aside to your very good idea..

Maybe Thieves will be able to use disguise to get jobs in places they wouldn't normally be let in due to reputation - like a Bank Teller.

~L/S
Re: Reputation? Honesty?... Both at a time? 07/08/2002 02:50 AM CDT
heh, now if you did an honest days work that would HAVE to give you a huge up to your bonus.

though it might be considered cruel and unusual punishment to make a thief work in that type of environment.....

ponder...

a "reformed" thief out on "bail" works in the mayors office for x amount of months, slowly ingratiating himself/herself with the politicos,etc, never shirking from working late....

some files of "wanted" folks go missing ... nobody suspects the now "honest" thief......

:-)
Re: Reputation? Honesty?... Both at a time? 07/09/2002 03:35 AM CDT
Personally I'd make the Warrior Mages work in the constabulary in a nonviolent manner if you want something contrary to their natures. Barbarians would apply here too.

-Seldaene of the Itchy Sigil Finger
Re: Reputation? Honesty?... Both at a time? 07/13/2002 12:59 AM CDT
<<-Seldaene of the Itchy Sigil Finger >>

Had to comment on your post.... first of all, I got a kick out of that signature... heh, second of all...

I just made those suggestions, since barbarians are the truly hostile violent types (meaning the war dancing, the horrendous battle roars, the 'wanna kill me? fine, but half your army goes with me! HAHAHAHAAH!!!!!' berserking ability... all that)

And we all know mages love their precious magic so much. And how quick they are (war mages, mind you) to jump up and question anyone who says something bad about magic (say, barbarians)... figure that'd be a perfect 'Bet this'll annoy the hell outa you' job...

-Trazier... mage to rogue in one spliced spellbook.