The jobs thing.. 07/06/2002 10:14 PM CDT
So basicly..you're gonna do TASKS that give you money or items in return..like in MMORPGS....ie...Everquest and DAoC. Hey..It'll be worth it in Dragonrealms.
Re: The jobs thing.. 07/06/2002 10:23 PM CDT
Not just money or items. Reputation, as well. Perhaps having a high enough reputation in your city will reduce your tax rate? Or give a bigger reduction in price to store-bought items? The jobs at first will be 'newbie introductory jobs' that most of us could probably finish in a few seconds, hehe. The higher tier jobs were said to be connected closely to citizenship, which will be quite cool, indeed. Hopefully, citizenship to Clans will happen soon, so I can be a true Tog and pay taxes to my Clan, not the person who happens to live in the nearby city.
Re: The jobs thing.. 07/07/2002 12:01 AM CDT
>>So basicly..you're gonna do TASKS that give you money or items in return..like in MMORPGS....ie...Everquest and DAoC. Hey..It'll be worth it in Dragonrealms.

Ummm. Isn't DragonRealms an MMORPG? So it would be jobs like you find in DragonRealms. ;)
Re: The jobs thing.. 07/07/2002 12:02 AM CDT
Reduction of price in store-bought objects wouldn't really help me all that much even in my home island---as

a> if its a really expensive item--traders get a better deal anyway, so the trader handles the purchases...

b> I don't tend to "buy" things from the shops. I'm a thief. :-).

Now--if the "jobs" would help me gain points to regain bonus--i.e. do something for da city like help clean up stuff or whatever---and help my bonus recover--thats the big part--I'm all for that!

Schvartz
Re: The jobs thing.. 07/07/2002 12:33 AM CDT
I think I missed something, where'd this talk about jobs come in? <ponders> And since when is there a category for jobs? Someone fill me in please.

Klaudia
Re: The jobs thing.. 07/07/2002 12:46 AM CDT
>>I think I missed something, where'd this talk about jobs come in? <ponders> And since when is there a category for jobs? Someone fill me in please.

jobs were one of the new things that are coming that were announced at SimuCon last month.

To start with, the first jobs will be targeted toward new players and characters, in order to help familiarize them with navigating the Realms, and earn them some money to help pay off their starting debt.

As time and resources allow, additional jobs will be added for those with more skills, and it sounded like the more advanced jobs will either require citizenship, or offer additional rewards for those who are citizens who complete them.

Some rewards which have been mentioned include money, maybe an item, and some sort of fame/notoriety type thing, which may affect other subsystems of the game.

The jobs will apparently be done on a more-or-less mini-quest style, and right now the topic was added because of a discussion started elsewhere that started into this topic. And Krin, Taffei and I were the guilty parties who were discussing it...

The topic was added both to discuss jobs, as long as we stay away from exposing any in-game riddles related to jobs, (which don't exist yet, but....) and for people to suggest ideas for jobs to help Team Jobs (not Steve, though).

Kyn
Re: The jobs thing.. 07/07/2002 12:48 AM CDT
<<I think I missed something, where'd this talk about jobs come in? <ponders> And since when is there a category for jobs? Someone fill me in please.>>

Your two questions have one answer.

Yesterday morning, July 6th, between 1 and 4 AM

-Trazier... Pointing up to the first player post, made by him.
Re: The jobs thing.. 07/07/2002 12:51 AM CDT
So basically it's going to be like Gemstone or Modus Operandi? Where you get sent on errands to gain reputation?

Klaudia
Re: The jobs thing.. 07/07/2002 01:12 AM CDT
<<So basically it's going to be like Gemstone or Modus Operandi? Where you get sent on errands to gain reputation?

Klaudia >>

You will gain reputation which will help you gain further jobs. At least that's how it was explained. It will be quite an intricate system, those on the shadier side will have different types of shady type jobs, steal x from y or get those slaves transported. Those on the brighter side of the law can gain other types of jobs like obtain x object for y for study or something like that. If you don't complete jobs or you screw something up that can affect your reputation somewhat. I'm not sure what sort of rewards you'll get but the system looks way cool and has limitless possibilities. I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

Garret
Re: The jobs thing.. 07/07/2002 01:12 AM CDT
<<So basically it's going to be like Gemstone or Modus Operandi? Where you get sent on errands to gain reputation?>>

Somewhat. But far more advanced. The kind of jobs you see in modus or GS3 will be what you see in the beginning but the system is set up to become far more advanced.

And Reputation is going to be very important later on. Advanced jobs will require it, along with other systems, especially citizenship. Like, say you are a thief, you will have two options in any town.. you can either do jobs that are "legal" or you can do jobs that are a bit shadey. These jobs will affect your reputation in that town. And depending on what way you choose to go, you will be able to get other more advanced jobs.

There will be jobs based on citizenship, race, guild, what town you are in, etc etc etc. And for the most part they will all be unique. And this comes back to my earlier request for ideas. Because while I can write a ton of jobs myself, I prefer to have lots of sources to pull ideas from. :)

Sulrin

ps. I always did like the "making iron slabs" job in gemstone. Thought that was such a cool way to teach players commands and get them started earning exp and money.
Re: The jobs thing.. 07/07/2002 01:40 AM CDT
ETA on the job system at all? Even the very first implementation of it?

-Teeklin Tessenoak, Proud Ranger of Elanthia