Jobs for skill 07/06/2002 06:58 PM CDT
I'm more interested in jobs for skill. Things like.. I tutor someone's child for a small bit of coin, but get a decent amount of teaching skill. I study a book in the library and report back to a scholar, for some scholarship skill. That type of thing.
Re: Jobs for skill 07/06/2002 07:15 PM CDT
These kinds of Jobs are possible(ie. Jobs that teach skills), but at this point I am not concentrating on them. It may happen later on, but at this point it was decided that we didn't want this system to be just another way to advance. It's design and goal is to add substance and a bit of "out of the ordinary" to a world otherwise focused on advancement within the guilds.

Again, This doesn't mean that Jobs that teach skills will not happen, I agree that it would be cool -- especially for skills like scholarship and teaching, but it is not going to happen right away.

This system is also going to be tied in tightly with Citizenship. GM Paklin and I have several ideas to make these two systems come alive for you all.

Sulrin

ps. Great Ideas everyone. Keep them coming!
Re: Jobs for skill 07/06/2002 09:21 PM CDT
>These kinds of Jobs are possible(ie. Jobs that teach skills), but at this point I am not concentrating on them. It may happen later on, but at this point it was decided that we didn't want this system to be just another way to advance. It's design and goal is to add substance and a bit of "out of the ordinary" to a world otherwise focused on advancement within the guilds.

Basically I'm looking for more scholarship/teaching type of jobs. Scholarship particularly is just.. well, hard to learn. Anyone who's focused on training this skill would tell you that. Its gotten to the point where I truely can't learn this skill at all, and this sort of job system would be helpful. We could spend time studying in the library, gaining scholarship skill. Oh well, glad to know you had it on your 'to do' list :)
Re: Jobs for skill 07/06/2002 09:21 PM CDT
::puts tongue firmly in cheek::

So, if I like get a job in the Realms and it's too stressful, will I be able to gweth in sick and play escapist table-top games at the taverns with my friends? Maybe something really fantasy oriented like "Accountants and Lawyers." I wanna be a 'Systems Analyst' so I can get a +5 on all my math rolls. ;-)

Seriously though...another aspect to the job system might tie in mentoring an actual novice guild member. Or perhaps clearing a fallen tree or two from a trade route, getting a caravan wagon unstuck when it's raining, guarding a caravan from bandits, finding a specific wood type for a carver...and beer brewing for taverns and personal use. Maybe even tour guide for cities and wilderness areas?

Shendorian