Jobs! 07/06/2002 03:31 AM CDT
Got ideas about gainful employment? Want to talk about the system as announced at Simucon? Curious about what was announced at Simucon? Well this is a good place to find out all the ins and outs!
Re: Jobs! 07/06/2002 03:50 AM CDT
Oh cool, I got a Topic now! :) Thanks Cecco!

I am not going to go into too many details about the system at this point, but since I saw that there were some questions floating around out there in the boards, I figured it was time for a topic to be made.

Feel free to ask questions. If I can answer them, I will. If you have jobs you would like to see, post them, and who knows what might happen.

Anyways, this should hopefully be a very awesome system that adds a few new layers to DR. That is my goal for the system at any rate. Looking forward to hearing your ideas.

Sulrin
Re: Jobs! 07/06/2002 05:10 AM CDT
<<If you have jobs you would like to see, post them, and who knows what might happen.>>

Sulrin, would the jobs program be a possible way to broach the topic of empaths healing NPC's? Let me give you an example of what I mean.

I go in, apply for a job, under special abilities/restrictions on the application check the empath box. After sorting through the stacks of errands, finally the clerk finds a requisition from a local noble whose pet was kicked by a passing yak and ran away before she could help it. Last seen along the NTR south of Arthe Dale, find the dog, heal it and return it to the jobs office for 35 silver kronars.

Accepting the contract would toggle a flag in the character that would allow him/her to approach the dog and touch it, taking the wounds and enticing it to follow him back to town. Perhaps use borrowed companion code to let the pet be held or even penguin code so that he just follows automatically.

Respectfully,
Passionata, greedy for still more ways of getting transference. Coins are good too.
Re: Jobs! 07/06/2002 05:35 AM CDT
Very interesting idea :)

<scribbles down notes>

And yes Trazier, that is exactly the point of this system. To provide something different to do within the realms beyond just training for the next circle, or slaughtering thousands of poor critters.

Sulrin
Re: Jobs! 07/06/2002 06:41 AM CDT
Thieves:

Procure specific items for compensation. Available at various shops. Bonus recovery.

Traders:

Appraise valued items for the Widow Jones that has just inherited an estate.

Bards:

Perform a concert for various NPCs for compensation.

Paladins:

Halt and Handcuff NPC badguy, and bring 'em to jail.For a suitable monetary award & soul.

Empaths:

A plague has broken out on Ratha. Go find the NPC with the source of the disease and cure them. Compensated.

Ranger:

Herbshop is running low on "X" herb. Go forage 50 of these and bring them back. Compensated.

Any Combat guild:

Particular critter/NPC has been bothering people. Skin it <or bring other unique "object" that would be on the critter when searched--<bring me proof of its death>, and you'll be compensated.

Various levels of critter would be available here. You could not take a "job" too far below you in skill. <i.e. no 70th circle WM could take a job involving a gaggle of goblins..>

There would be special "jobs" for thieves here--as there would be "guards" set up in town that the guild would have decided have "out-lived" their usefulness and needed to be "eliminated"--this would also mean full bonus <active> recovery.

Schvartzgonif & family
Re: Jobs! 07/06/2002 12:01 PM CDT
Shop clerks. People come into a shop to buy something, and the person takes their orders, then goes into the back room to fetch the item(s), barters with the person, deposits the money in the cash box. Embezzlement would be possible, but you'd probably be fired at the end of the day, and be arrested for embezzlement (new crime type?).

Running errands. Small jobs that NPCs around town need done, like minor purchases or trades with other shops. Good for novices.

Guides (aka Taxis). Players or NPCs request to be taken to a certain location. The guide takes them and drops them off, or waits if they have other places to go or want a round-trip. Payment will be affected by distance traveled and danger level of the trip.

Certified teachers. Players with enough teaching ranks could teach classes at the Asemath Academy, or other learning centers around the realms.

Mechanics/Repairmen. With appraisal and mechanical lore skill you could fix broken items (from bent keys to cracked mortars to broken caravan wheels, etc.)

Garbage collectors. Picking up trash people leave lying around the streets, or collecting from homes/shops.

Catering. When some noble wants to have a banquet and doesn't have a big enough cooking staff, he'll request certain types of food, drink, and dessert. The caterer is responsible for finding good tasting items, getting enough for the expected crowd, and having it there on time. They will be reimbursed for the costs as well as a substantial payment if everything is satisfactory. On a smaller scale, services might be needed for a birthday party or a meeting of town officials.

Hairdressers/Beauticians. Could work at the hair salon in Leth, or the face painting places in.. Horse Clan, and/or Muspar'i? Or even the tattoo shop. Would require some mechanical lore skill to perform the services for customers.

Tailoring. Everything from sewing together clothing for a clothing shop, to making alterations for fit, to sewing patterns or working at the embroiderer's stall in the Ratha bazaar.

Almost anything we can currently do, or services that NPCs perform, a player could be hired to do. Might take some skill, and different ones might require different time committments, but they would be paid accordingly.

~ Chall
Re: Jobs! 07/06/2002 12:11 PM CDT
Thieves:

Procure specific items for compensation. Available at various shops. Bonus recovery.

Paladins:

Halt and Handcuff said above Thieves, and bring 'em to jail. For a suitable monetary award & soul. Perhaps expand it to include all wanted Thieves. Do away with super guards. Have trying to escape paladins teach escaping.
Re: Jobs! 07/06/2002 12:58 PM CDT
Here would be an chance for young'n on up to the most skilled to be able to ask NPC's for jobs. Just have to check out the local town hall job board for that town. This way jobs will be located all over Elanthia.

Example the local shop which provides changes the exterior for homes. They need wood and or stone. A young'n can instead go there with their branches instead of say Mags in Xing. The water craft of Elanthia need tree sap for the making of tar to repair their boats. The stables have need of feed, or metal slugs for horse armor. The NPC healers may need a hard to obtain item to make potions for poisions say from another city, or a certain critter.

These jobs would be listed in each town hall or town centers board. For all citizen of Elanthia to participate in if they so choosed.
Takei
Re: Jobs! 07/06/2002 04:32 PM CDT

Here is something similar to the courior idea. How about certain guild items that they want sent to another guild. If the item is not delivered bounty hunters will come after you and collect the item. Bank needs a bank runner, they hire a paladin to carry the money in question to where ever in return a large sum of money. Compensation in return for handling a very dangerous job. Shard goes through bank runners like socks. Just a thought.

Ibec Alshaerd
Re: Jobs! 07/06/2002 05:21 PM CDT
Join your local constabulary today!

Free haircut, no waiting!

~Lairis
Re: Jobs! 07/06/2002 05:27 PM CDT
free haircut? hmmm.... I'm a S'kra....no hair.

Deliveries to other guilds? hmm...

although 2 things would be kinda difficult. if someone has a warrent and getting a job to deliver to the paladins guild could land them in a heap of ... unpleasant smelling stuff.

also--wouldn't give anyone the job of takin stuff to the thieves guild. They don't like visitors. :-)
Re: Jobs! 07/06/2002 07:35 PM CDT
Butcher, baker, candlestick maker.

~Lairis
Re: Jobs! 07/07/2002 02:50 PM CDT

With the guild thing i was thinking the job would be carried out like this. Say paladin guild in crossing needs a holy object sent to therengia.
They get one of their guild members to take it there for a fee. Thief takes items from thief guild A to thief guild B. I shoulda been alittle more clearer in that suggestion.

Ibec Alshaerd