Item Registration - Introduction/Reminder 03/21/2011 05:23 PM CDT
A lot of time has passed since the Item Registration System was introduced, so I wanted to post something and either introduce you to it, or perhaps remind you that it exists.

Players interested in registering their items may find the Records Office down the corridor in the Crossing Town Hall, next to the Lottery Office on the second floor.

Note that it costs 5 gold per item registered. Not all items may be registered, and registration does not guarantee replacement of lost items.

As you will see on the signs posted in the Registration Booths:

Registration of an item should not be construed as an insurance policy of any type, nor is it proof of ownership. It simply establishes a detailed record of the item, and that it was at one time in the possession of the person who paid for the registration.

It is unnecessary to register an item again unless it has been significantly altered.

To Clarify:

Registering an item will not EVER guarantee that the item will be replaced if the item is lost. It simply means that if an item is lost and a GM determines that it is eligible for replacement, we can more easily re-create the exact item you lost.

You will see that you won't be able to register every single item you own. This is on purpose, since there's no point in allowing folks to register things like backpacks, oval shields, crusts of bread, skins, gems, and pulp. This system is meant for items that have been significantly altered, adjusted, or that are not "standard" items.

Feel free to post questions, if you have them!

Solomon

Be our Facebook Pal!
http://www.facebook.com/DragonRealms
Re: Item Registration - Introduction/Reminder 03/21/2011 05:38 PM CDT
Do fest merchant items need to be registered or are they considered "standard"?

Also I'd like to make a suggestion for bonding potions to also register the item it is poured on. If a person is going to spend the LTBs for a potion I think the item is worthy of being registered.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Item Registration - Introduction/Reminder 03/21/2011 05:52 PM CDT
<<Do fest merchant items need to be registered or are they considered "standard"?>>

Most of them are considered "standard" but it makes it 50 times easier to replace (if a replacement is needed and approved) if it's registered. So if you think it's worth the coin, I'd register it.

Auction items should definitely be registered.

Anything currently sold in a 24/7 available store somewhere in the game doesn't need to be registered.

Solomon

Be our Facebook Pal!
Re: Item Registration - Introduction/Reminder 03/21/2011 07:22 PM CDT
Yamcer hit on part of my question before I had a chance to post.

<<registration does not guarantee replacement of lost items.>>

<<Registration of an item should not be construed as an insurance policy of any type, nor is it proof of ownership. It simply establishes a detailed record of the item, and that it was at one time in the possession of the person who paid for the registration.>>

<<Registering an item will not EVER guarantee that the item will be replaced if the item is lost.>>

I was hoping for a little more information about the criteria used to actually replace a lost item.

I have an altered composite bow that I registered when the system was released. It was a well-known festie bow: one of the copper-banded maple composite bows with the spidersilk bowstring. And there's no doubt it's Kaxis's bow because it has his name in the READ as part of the alteration. I'm assuming that when I registered it, the system took a snapshot of the item including it's statistical information as well as the alteration appearance.

<<It simply means that if an item is lost and a GM determines that it is eligible for replacement, we can more easily re-create the exact item you lost.>>

I hunt things that are notorious one-punchers, so I wear my altered bow because it looks nice, but when I actually train bow I pull a crossing compo bow out of my backpack to use. It's not as crazy as it sounds if you use khri steady and capped basi arrows.

Can you tell me if I lost my bow due to a disconnection ghosting, would a GM have any issues replacing it exactly as it exists now? Would s/he have enough information to determine that it is eligible for replacement? Or are there other variables that might cause a GM to balk at replacing it?

Reason I ask is because :

<<50 times easier>>

is still not a 100% guarantee :)

Kaxis
Re: Item Registration - Introduction/Reminder 03/21/2011 09:21 PM CDT
>50 times easier is still not a 100% guarantee :)

As a general rule of thumb, items lost to normal game mechanics are not eligible for replacement. Extenuating circumstances will be taken into account if your situation is abnormal, but there is simply no way to "100% guarantee" an item's replacement. We have to look at the details of when and where the item was lost.

If you notice something missing, always assist immediately. The sooner you let us know, the better chance we can help you. DO NOT wait until the next day because you didn't see anyone on duty. GMs are sometimes lurking and working on other things, and may pop on duty just to help you.

Additional note: the item registration system makes it possible to replace many items that we simply did not have the ability to replace for you in the past, because we had no way to recreate certain things. The same disclaimer applies though, we will generally not replace items lost to normal game mechanics whether its been registered or not.

Thanks!
Lyneya
Re: Item Registration - Introduction/Reminder 03/21/2011 09:36 PM CDT
<<As a general rule of thumb, items lost to normal game mechanics are not eligible for replacement. Extenuating circumstances will be taken into account if your situation is abnormal, but there is simply no way to "100% guarantee" an item's replacement. We have to look at the details of when and where the item was lost.>>

<<Additional note: the item registration system makes it possible to replace many items that we simply did not have the ability to replace for you in the past, because we had no way to recreate certain things. The same disclaimer applies though, we will generally not replace items lost to normal game mechanics whether its been registered or not.>>

I see. So it's just an added ability you have now, but whether or not you choose to use that ability is still conditional. That was hugely informative, Lyneya, thanks for that.

<<If you notice something missing, always assist immediately.>>

I bought one of those gweth hiding rings at the fest and didn't realize it would accidentally hide my altered bow as well. First time I looked at Kaxis and didn't see my altered bow, well it got exciting there for a moment or two Heh I didn't assist on it since it didn't take long to figure out what was happening.

Kaxis
Re: Item Registration - Introduction/Reminder 03/22/2011 10:24 AM CDT
Is there currently or could you add a feature that we can see which items we have registered? I know I've repeatedly registered an item forgetting I had done it before... maybe a way to see what the tap/look when it was registered?

On a whim...: http://www.lostonawhim.com/

The Zoluren army asks, "We're um.... really sorry about the clubhouse and all... so uh... are we cool?"
Re: Item Registration - Introduction/Reminder 03/22/2011 10:26 AM CDT
<<I know I've repeatedly registered an item forgetting I had done it before... maybe a way to see what the tap/look when it was registered?>>

That shouldn't be possible. The system should tell you that an item is already registered if you try to re-register it.

I'd have to look into the possibility of some sort of way to tell something's been registered, though.

Solomon

Be our Facebook Pal!
Re: Item Registration - Introduction/Reminder 03/22/2011 10:49 AM CDT
Thanks! Maybe I accidently registered something with different characters or something similar and thats what I'm thinking of. But a way to see the records of the characters would be a plus, save time not going in and out of the office :)

On a whim...: http://www.lostonawhim.com/

The Zoluren army asks, "We're um.... really sorry about the clubhouse and all... so uh... are we cool?"
Re: Item Registration - Introduction/Reminder 03/22/2011 01:21 PM CDT
>That shouldn't be possible. The system should tell you that an item is already registered if you try to re-register it.

It does. I've re-registered several items I know I've already registered. Then I get paranoid that my registration expired or didn't take and I re-register everything.

__
AIM: Ysselt
As a bard, you can use SONG to list the enchantes you know.
You have learned Dragon's Breath [db] from a scroll and must maintain at least somewhat less than half your normal attunement to keep it.
Re: Item Registration - Introduction/Reminder 03/22/2011 03:38 PM CDT
I can only say that I would highly recommend registering unusual items from personal experience.

Player of Ryken
---
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon." ~ Doug Larson

AIM - RykenDR
Re: Item Registration - Introduction/Reminder 03/22/2011 10:00 PM CDT
Please be patient and forgive me. I feel an annoying dense moment coming on and see no way to stop it.

Please define significantly in the sentence:

"significantly altered, adjusted, or that are not "standard" items."

Again, my apologies. I know the answer is as obvious as not sniffing the scratch and sniff at the bottom of the pool, but I'm not catching it.
Re: Item Registration - Introduction/Reminder 03/24/2011 08:53 AM CDT
when you say it isn't possible to register "backpacks" i wonder if an exception might be made for very "old" items, such as the stitched travelers pack that holds more items than the "normal" backpacks, etc.

You've seen life through distorted eyes;You know you had to learn;The execution of your mind;You really had to turn;,the book is read,The end begins to show,The truth is out, the lies are old, But you don't want to know - Black Sabbath