Item Registration - The Basics 05/16/2008 03:26 PM CDT
The Item Registration System is fairly close to release and I want to make sure we go over everything again so that everyone is clear on what the system is intended to do.

As you will see on the signs posted in the Registration Booths:
Registration of an item should not be construed as an insurance policy of any type, nor is it proof of ownership. It simply establishes a detailed record of the item, and that it was at one time in the possession of the person who paid for the registration.
It is unnecessary to register an item again unless it has been significantly altered.

I think this bears repeating.

Registering an item will not EVER guarantee that the item will be replaced if the item is lost. It simply means that IF an item is lost AND a GM determines that it is eligible for replacement, we can more easily re-create the exact item you lost.

Now, when the system first comes out, you will see that you won't be able to register just anything. This is on purpose, since there's no point in allowing folks to register things like backpacks, oval shields, crusts of bread, skins, gems, and pulp. This system is meant for items that have been significantly altered, adjusted, or that are not "standard" items.

However...

When the system first comes out, there are likely going to be many things that you feel you SHOULD be able to alter that the system is most likely NOT going to accept. Two major things on this list are fletched items (both bows and ammo) and tanned items. We are currently working on a way that we can tag these items (on a system level) that we can then use to quickly and easily bypass the block on "generic" items. Given the nature of the current fletching and tanning systems, there's no simple SINGLE "thing" to check for. There are lots of various things, but the code to take all of those things into consideration would be prohibitive.

Forged items are another matter and you should be able to register those without any problems. We are currently discussing the best option for tanned and fletched items and will get those item included ASAP, but I think we just need to get the bulk of the system out. The additional benefit will be that I'm sure there will be other things that should be registerable that folks will find, so this will be the place to post those for consideration.

Again, not everything will be allowed to be registered and that's (partially) by design. When the system comes out, however, if you find something that the clerk refuses to accept, please post here.

Likewise, if you have any questions about the system (other than "When is it being released?") please post those here as well.

Solomon

"Beat me, whip me, maintain my mindstate at sub-optimal levels!"
http://www.myspace.com/simutronicsdragonrealms
Re: Item Registration - The Basics 05/16/2008 03:41 PM CDT
Will item registration be available in all 3 instances of DR?
Re: Item Registration - The Basics 05/16/2008 04:10 PM CDT
<<Will item registration be available in all 3 instances of DR?>>

I don't see what would keep us from putting it into TF, but the lack of Assisting and Items Replacements makes me think that it wouldn't really be used there.

Solomon

Re: Item Registration - The Basics 05/16/2008 04:16 PM CDT
To be absolutely clear, things like magical items will be insurable as well, yes? Not just unique ones (like luckstones), but things like player-made enchantments. Example: I have an altered ring enchanted with Astoshe's Eclipse that I will probably want to insure. Will all that enchanting data be saved? I mean, it wouldn't kill me to just re-enchant the thing if I lose the ring somehow and it gets replaced I guess...

Rev. Reene

Me: Are...are you listening to Britney Spears?
Idon: You have Evanescence on your playlist. You don't get to judge me.
Re: Item Registration - The Basics 05/16/2008 05:19 PM CDT
<<To be absolutely clear, things like magical items will be insurable as well, yes? Not just unique ones (like luckstones), but things like player-made enchantments. Example: I have an altered ring enchanted with Astoshe's Eclipse that I will probably want to insure. Will all that enchanting data be saved? I mean, it wouldn't kill me to just re-enchant the thing if I lose the ring somehow and it gets replaced I guess...>>

To be absolutely clear, nothing is insurable since this is just a registration system.

However, to address the question: Anything that's been altered by a merchant can be registered without question. SOME player-made items can be registered upon release, some may not be, but we'll need to see what all those are and then come up with a way to "tag" them so that the system will accept those "normal LOOKING" items, but still not accept "normal" items.

Solomon

Re: Item Registration - The Basics 05/16/2008 05:33 PM CDT
Yeah, I meant registered, sorry.

That answers my question though, thanks.

Rev. Reene

Me: Are...are you listening to Britney Spears?
Idon: You have Evanescence on your playlist. You don't get to judge me.
Re: Item Registration - The Basics 05/16/2008 07:00 PM CDT
Will the item registration be used to force any changes on to the item we register?

By this i mean if i have a super old quibble and being super old, new quibbles have come out that might have fixed bugs or what have you. So the system would not necessarily say "this is buggy" and change it but give you GM's a way to track these bug type items and alter them.

Say my 18 stone heavy impact quarter staff or the super light foraged scimitar... those types of things.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Item Registration - The Basics 05/16/2008 07:12 PM CDT
<<Will the item registration be used to force any changes on to the item we register?>>

No, however, the fact that an item is registered does not guarantee that you'll get a buggy item back, if it ever needs to be replaced.

Odds are, however, that you will, although it depends entirely on who handles the replacement.

A GM that can't just look at an item creation string and say "Hrm that's REALLY tweaked away from the default values" might just cut and paste and return it to you without hesitation.

Having said all that, it's not entirely guaranteed your quibble would be registerable anyway, unless it had been altered or was somehow "different enough" for the system to warrant tracking it.

Solomon