QoL Suggestions for ESP (Gwethdesuans) 03/26/2018 08:15 AM CDT
I have made all of these suggestions in previous posts, but I am consolidating them here in the hope that it will make it easier for a GM to see and implement them.

1. On should be the default setting for all ESP channels.

Many new and returning players don't know about the new system or how to use it, and it's difficult to explain that ICly (since you can't send a private OOC message).

Additionally, others simply forget to turn their other channels on after reactivating their gweths, so that comments like "turn your personal channel on" are a popular gweth refrain.

I suspect this also causes people not to hear local, guild, and race channels that they have not deliberately turned off.

2. Sending to a channel should automatically enable it.

The most popular request is for the personal channel, but all channels should get the same treatment.

Oddly enough, it is possible to send thoughts to a public channel without enabling it.

I have had exchanges with players who sent questions to the guild channel (without enabling it), causing them not to see the responses they were getting from guild-mates.

3. Switching to a channel should automatically enable it.

This applies to ESP SEND, which is used for all channels except private and personal.

4. There should be an ESP BLOCK setting to block personal thoughts from specific players.

Currently, if you do not wish to receive personal thoughts from a specific player, your only option is to disable all personal thoughts. For obvious reasons, this is less than ideal.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Paladin new player guide: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Paladin_new_player_guide

armor and shields: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor_and_shield_player_guide
Re: QoL Suggestions for ESP (Gwethdesuans) 03/26/2018 11:15 AM CDT

All great ideas. 100% agree.
Re: QoL Suggestions for ESP (Gwethdesuans) 03/26/2018 12:05 PM CDT
Thanks for doing this. I've passed this on to the GMs.

I can't make any promises with regards to what they're working on now or in the future, but these match what I've seen people request since the implementation of the new gweth system. So this made it helpful to share.

Helje
DragonRealms Senior Board Moderator
Re: QoL Suggestions for ESP (Gwethdesuans) 03/26/2018 02:57 PM CDT
>>1. On should be the default setting for all ESP channels.

For an arcane technical reason this would be more difficult than it sounds. Uncertain.

>>2. Sending to a channel should automatically enable it.

Agreed.

>>3. Switching to a channel should automatically enable it.

Agreed.

>>4. There should be an ESP BLOCK setting to block personal thoughts from specific players.

Harder than it sounds, but it's likely worth the effort. Probably.

Note that I don't have the bandwidth to work on gweths at this moment, but I'll keep this in mind when I can put it on my plate.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: QoL Suggestions for ESP (Gwethdesuans) 03/26/2018 03:16 PM CDT
>>For an arcane technical reason this would be more difficult than it sounds. Uncertain.

What's the likelihood that the OOC window can send a "Don't forget there are now multiple gweth channels, type HELP GWETH (or whatever) for more information" when gweths get activated on for the first time in 24 (or whatever) hours?

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: QoL Suggestions for ESP (Gwethdesuans) 03/26/2018 03:36 PM CDT
Thinking about it more, I could totally do "if you wear a gweth with no channels activated, all channels activate." Which may be slightly different than the initial request but wouldn't involve rewriting how I store the data.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: QoL Suggestions for ESP (Gwethdesuans) 03/26/2018 10:49 PM CDT
Thanks for the response, Armifer!

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Paladin new player guide: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Paladin_new_player_guide

armor and shields: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor_and_shield_player_guide
Re: QoL Suggestions for ESP (Gwethdesuans) 04/16/2018 11:14 PM CDT
Also, please consider auto enable private thoughts if you broadcast on trade if not on all public channels.

~Kehlbins
Re: QoL Suggestions for ESP (Gwethdesuans) 12/12/2018 11:33 PM CST
Following up on this because it took me awhile as a returning player to understand why my gweth didn't work after I died. All Isharon's suggestions are great, but post-death channel reactivation (on top of reactivating gweth) was something that threw me for a loop. I assumed gweth reactivatsion was enough (which is itself something new players forget). Adding full channel reactivation every death is another layer.

Moon Mages are totally Jedi. -Raesh