Smashing 05/07/2017 10:19 AM CDT
So today there was a very new player, Ianien, on the gweth. She put out a thought of "giggles" and from that ended up getting smashed and that was after receiving some not so helpful personal thoughts pushed at her. And I get the smashing thing. But people wonder WHY we have no new players that stay? This is a great reason. Instead of trying to help resolve and inform in a constructive way she got angry messages and smashed and called names.

Do I understand what she did wrong? Absolutely.

I just wish that some of those high powered gweth police would for ONCE try to help and not hinder.

~~If you can't live without me why aren't you dead yet?~~
Re: Smashing 05/07/2017 10:45 AM CDT

I am assuming she left out the part that I did tell her that was considered OOC and left it alone.

I am sure someone else did too. And again left it alone.

Gentle nudges saying ooh that's OOC dont do that again (even after she gwethed that she spelled something out over gweth)

Then she brought it to the open and someone else ended up smashing her (not me)

Also that warn harass she sent me when I didnt do anything not even smash her was dumb.

Love, Caidie

PS come down off that high horse Kaelie and think that maybe you should mentor these people in a way that discourages full on panic because they got a one hour time out from giggling in an OOC manner. I left hunting to come calm down someone who did get smashed (again not by me) and I am not a mentor. What are you doing to discourage their entitled behavior in a game that is NOT A CHAT ROOM.. anything??? Do not throw stones when yours are too small to hit much with.
Re: Smashing 05/07/2017 10:48 AM CDT
How does a new person know about warn harass?

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Smashing 05/07/2017 11:03 AM CDT

I gotta say...I was one of the ones that made a comment, I was not however the one that smashed them. This person has been doing this for days, has been given nudges for days. I believe I gave a nudge one of the days during the huge invasion when they were asking for someone to teach a class. They were told repeatedly over at least the past week about the emotes and emoji on gweth. Perhaps they just didn't understand, so sometimes comments end up happening.

I would assume that perhaps a mentor should have mentored them when it came to gwething emotes and emoji but it didn't seem to happen until today and they were taught how to warn harass instead. One hour not being able to gweth is a small drop in the bucket when people want to act in violence, yes I was asked to do something violent, but even I draw the line somewhere.

Maybe a gwething 101 class is in order, I mean it was ok that I killed Ghust and got praise and thank yous and can you do that again please, and you know who you are..but an off comment on gweth is the worst thing ever.

Love you all, mean it.

Aay
Re: Smashing 05/07/2017 11:18 AM CDT
Well. Seems as I've been knocked off that high horse. I didn't realize it was a days long issue. I owe everyone an apology.

Re: Smashing 05/07/2017 11:53 AM CDT
> This person has been doing this for days, has been given nudges for days.

This doesn't surprise me. For the entire time smashers have existed it has been a running theme that the people who most warrant a smash turn around and become the most upset about it. More often than not, these are also people who have been given a polite nudge ahead of time and stubbornly insist that they will continue to do the very thing that got them smashed. I just finished a conversation with a second person who got smashed during this, not this same person, explaining that "giggle" isn't a thing on the gweth. They more or less insisted that "giggle" was acceptable, that they'd do what they want and if they got smashed in the future they would report for harassment.

It doesn't seem to matter that there is a broad community that has established some general consensus or etiquette, that everyone is politely telling them "no," or that they're essentially taking a very trivial thing and turning it into a big time-wasting, day-ruining debacle with reports, GM intervention, the WARN command, etc. Instead of rolling with the punches and playing the game, they'd rather try and weaponize things like the WARN or REPORT features.
Re: Smashing 05/07/2017 12:28 PM CDT
Here's the thing. And this is where I was totally wrong. I made an assumption. It was that this was the first offense and that nothing had been said before. I went against what I usually would do which is find out and try to help. Everyone makes mistakes and I own this one totally. Maybe it was early and lack of coffee ... but it's still no real excuse.

Re: Smashing 05/07/2017 08:31 PM CDT

Hey, no worries. I read the other convo and was like "ur...?" but seeing this I'm kinda like "cool." It's hard to know what you don't know, y'know? The best way to find out all the details of something is to just step in a pile of poopies. :P